IGNORED

WAR work in progress for colecovision - biplanes & tanks

digress

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1L-94qO0Zo&feature=youtu.be

Here is an Updated video on some progress that I have made.

-some music. It's simple music right now I hope to improve it.
-sound effects
-fixed disappearing sprite issue
-added new screens to add some variety
-added solid buildings tree obstacles, rivers, rocks bridges
-most obstacles are destructive
-improved explosion effect
-changed title screen to greyscale with new layout to save some Kb

Edited by digress
  • Like 7

Looks really good, digress! :)

I do have one tiny comment to make: When the tank is facing left or right, it is displayed as a 2D image, but in any other direction, it is displayed as a 3D image. That looks a little weird in terms of animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1JVZ-0F8dU&feature=youtu.be

Here is a micro update to show the tank is now more 3d looking in profile view.

Great stuff - this looks fantastic. PM sent.

One suggestion: in my opinion it would look nicer when the tank is also three dimensional when facing left/right horizontally.

Looks really good, digress! :)

I do have one tiny comment to make: When the tank is facing left or right, it is displayed as a 2D image, but in any other direction, it is displayed as a 3D image. That looks a little weird in terms of animation.

Looks better and better each updates! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

that's funny that's exactly my thought. I was programming a tank slowdown routine til 2 am this morning. will be in the next iteration. I might even put a bit of shake to the tank when it comes to a stop are first starts. we'll see I'm almost out of room

-tank slowdown

-I might put in reverse as well. not sure yet.

-I added a smoke effect that blows away after firing

-I had 3 hit points to kill a tank but it wasn't fun that way. 1 hit ,1 kill keeps you on your toes

planes are too fast too but there are 2 speeds for them if someone has trouble they can just keep it in slow.

working on the music a bit today.

Great preview

but as being in the military a have drove a tank, I feel the speed is a bit fast for the tank movement.

But what do I know, the game itself looks awesome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a sample of my first prototype box for the game.

WAR Homebrew for Colecovision (c) 2014 Gerry Brophy Box prototype

WAR Homebrew for Colecovision (c) 2014 Gerry Brophy Box prototype angle 2

WAR Homebrew for Colecovision (c) 2014 Gerry Brophy Box prototype angle 3

New colours, added trailing smoke effect. improved some glitches.

Slowed down the tanks.But increased the projectile speed and rate of fire. I may return to multiple hits to destroy a tank.

uploading a more current video Should be live in 11:15 EST

http://youtu.be/ZJxwd_G2bqU

Edited by digress
  • Like 6

Here is a sample of my first prototype box for the game.

New colours, added trailing smoke effect. improved some glitches.

Slowed down the tanks.But increased the projectile speed and rate of fire. I may return to multiple hits to destroy a tank.

uploading a more current video Should be live in 11:15 EST

http://youtu.be/ZJxwd_G2bqU

AWESOME Gerry!! I won't be be worth a darn at it, BUT I live the action. Time Pilot has the same action type and I get all turned around and miss shooting the planes, but I love that game too. Great job, keep at it and finish it up, it will be a great game ! :)

Yes actually. I fix one thing and then new glitches show up. I feel like I'm House M.D.

Time pilot is great. Always liked that game . Played it to death. .. or is it played it til death usually my own planes.

Main problem I'm having now is memory as I'm basically at 32K rom size . I'm trying to improve things but I have to make other things more efficient in order to make room.

Learned so much from this . If I make a second game I'm sure there are many mistakes I'll not make twice. Too far along now to start over though.

Weird problems like sprite 0,1,2 & 3 would disappear from time to time. I had to use higher sprite numbers to stop the problem.

Ah, so the glitches are now glitchier? :D

Nice work, dude!

AWESOME Gerry!! I won't be be worth a darn at it, BUT I live the action. Time Pilot has the same action type and I get all turned around and miss shooting the planes, but I love that game too. Great job, keep at it and finish it up, it will be a great game ! :)

Another great update digress and thanks for sharing this with us as it's been fun watching the game progress over the last couple months.

The box looks very nice as well, but the positioning of the yellow Coleco explosion info splash is really throwing things off for me considering it has always been placed at the bottom-left corner by Coleco as well as Homebrewers. I understand the reasoning so as not to cover up any of the artwork of the box, but what about using the "For ColecoVision & ADAM Computer" diagonal info bar on the bottom-right... this way you won't have an oddly positioned yellow Coleco explosion info splash and with the diaginal info bar, there won't be much of any box artwork covered up.

Good Luck with copleting the game.

post-25956-0-71278200-1402113125_thumb.png

Thanks, That's a good suggestion. I did have it in the bottom left as you mentioned but it was too overwhelming.

I did the illustration before putting it into the layout to see how things overlaid and it was not ideal. I'll try the strip and show you the update.

Another great update digress and thanks for sharing this with us as it's been fun watching the game progress over the last couple months.

The box looks very nice as well, but the positioning of the yellow Coleco explosion info splash is really throwing things off for me considering it has always been placed at the bottom-left corner by Coleco as well as Homebrewers. I understand the reasoning so as not to cover up any of the artwork of the box, but what about using the "For ColecoVision & ADAM Computer" diagonal info bar on the bottom-right... this way you won't have an oddly positioned yellow Coleco explosion info splash and with the diaginal info bar, there won't be much of any box artwork covered up.

• Like 1

Here is the updated artwork

War front of box (c) 2014 Gerry Brophy

• Like 3