IGNORED

Converting real floppy's to images, best way. How?

Please give me some opinions on how best to do this.

I have several disks 5 1/4 and of course a real 1050 drive.

And I want to move the data to images, while keeping the sorting as is.

I have SIO2PC or Aspeqt, but also SIO2SD.

What would be the most efficient way?

One point would be the creation of the empty disks on the virtual side.

Some input please.

BR/

Guus

Edited by guus.assmann

I think 1050-2-PC interface is handy too for this. Then you can do it without the atari.

With the newest firmware of sio2SD you can create atr files on the SD card using the atari and the right sio2sd tool.

For copying from atari to sio2SD there are plenty good copy programs. My favorites are SCOPY2 and US Speed Copy 5.0

You could also use an atari with QMEG or BlackBox for copying disks.

Some time ago I archived a bunch of disks (some 50 or 100 or so) using a 1050-2-PC cable, a 1050 Speedy and atarixfer (Linux) on my PC with a 16C950 serial card. Because of the 16C950 card I could copy in highspeed and saved quite a lot of time.

I inserted the disk into the floppy and then ran

atarixfer -p -S -r imagename.atr
and waited a minute or so.

This also solved the naming problem, I was naming the ATRs just as they were read from the floppy.

so long,

Hias

I used a real Atari 800XL + 1050 + SIO2PC cable and APE, and copied some 200+ disks this way. Needless to say, it took a long time. :P If I had to do it again, I would definitely use HiassofT's approach.

No matter which way you do it, though, you want to clean the heads often, especially if your floppy disks are old. If you don't, there's a good chance the read/write head will lift off the magnetic particles from the disk while you're attempting to make a copy!

No matter which way you do it, though, you want to clean the heads often, especially if your floppy disks are old. If you don't, there's a good chance the read/write head will lift off the magnetic particles from the disk while you're attempting to make a copy!

You need a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol, available at most pharmacies. Use a cotton swab (Q-Tip or equivalent) and dip it in the alcohol, wipe the head with it, then use the other (dry) side (or another swab) on the head to make sure its dry.

Wait a minute before loading another disk to make sure all the alcohol has evaporated.

On a 1050, this is a single sided drive, make sure you don't get the felt pad wet.

If this was a double sided drive, do the same thing to the other head.

Hope this helps.