IGNORED

COMPUTE! Disks in ATR Format?

ballyalley

Well,

take a look here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/140935-compute-magazines-in-pdf-format/?hl=compute

(especially posts 22 and 25). If someone has a more complete Compute! collection in ATR format, please post here...

-Andreas Koch.

Thanks for the link, though it's quite incomplete. At least it's got a few of them. Maybe someone can point out a better collection of the Compute! disks? There must be one out there someplace. No matter. For now this is a fun start!

Were the Compute! disks ever made available in disk format like on the C64 with Compute!'s Gazette?

As an aside, I just typed in Atari Proofreader from the March 1986 issue of Compute! It's the first issue with the "new" Proofreader. I didn't realize that when I SAVEd the program in Altirra that I was using a virtual disk. In fact, I didn't even KNOW about those. So, my program is actually now gone. There goes some wasted time at typing. And yet, really, it's time well spent. I'd pretty-much forgotten everything about the screen editing of the Atari.

I figured the Compute! magazine ATRs that were linked to would have the Atari Proofreader, but none of them seem to have it. Unless someone knows of a source for it, I guess that I'll type it again.

typed in Atari Proofreader from the March 1986 issue of Compute! [...] Unless someone knows of a source for it, I guess that I'll type it again.

I found the Proofreader on one of the disks called, "COMPUTE 8-4-6.ATR." Some of these disks that were linked to above seem to be collected by individuals and some do seem like officially released disks. Such is the case with this disk.

The key to knowing what's on some of these official Compute! disks is to understand what the filename means. In this case it looks like "COMPUTE 8-4-6.ATR" means:

Compute! Magazine, Vol. 8, Issues 4-6 (April-June 1986, Issues 71-73)

The Proofreader program that I want was in the March 1986 issue. Thus it should have been on the disk called "COMPUTE 8-1-3.ATR." However, that disk seems to include the old version of the Proofreader. The March issue appears to be the first issue with the new version of the Proofreader. The same proofreader was used for later issues, which is why it is included on "COMPUTE 8-4-6.ATR."

However... if I have the disks, then I don't have to type in the program.

Thanks for the link, though it's quite incomplete. At least it's got a few of them. Maybe someone can point out a better collection of the Compute! disks? There must be one out there someplace. No matter. For now this is a fun start!

Were the Compute! disks ever made available in disk format like on the C64 with Compute!'s Gazette?

As an aside, I just typed in Atari Proofreader from the March 1986 issue of Compute! It's the first issue with the "new" Proofreader. I didn't realize that when I SAVEd the program in Altirra that I was using a virtual disk. In fact, I didn't even KNOW about those. So, my program is actually now gone. There goes some wasted time at typing. And yet, really, it's time well spent. I'd pretty-much forgotten everything about the screen editing of the Atari.

I figured the Compute! magazine ATRs that were linked to would have the Atari Proofreader, but none of them seem to have it. Unless someone knows of a source for it, I guess that I'll type it again.

Yes. I think they published them every once in a while since each issue only a couple of Atari programs. There was an Atari only Best of issue that was published with a disk. I think I have it some where. I do believe I posted it here somewhere.

Allan