IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Coincidently, right after seeing that new 8bitdo usb wireless Neo Geo CD controller, I head over to youtube and what do I find? The MiSTer Neo Geo CD core is live today! A perfect use for that controller. And yes, the core does optionally boost CD load times.

It's a good time to be a gamer. I get a bit nostalgic for the NGCD sometimes, especially the few games that went over the top with soundtrack, like Gowcaiser. A shame more neo geo games didn't see the CD port as an excuse to go fully-voiced, or big intro movie, etc.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 2:29 AM, ColecoGamer said:

So its a Mugen project? Does he need a new character or an existing one with improved animations, etc?

I can do both.

Hello, I am very sorry for the delay in answering.

I am glad to know that you are willing to help.

Have you contacted Kiporra through his YouTube channel?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 9:54 PM, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

Back with NeoGeoNow on more on what he has to say. Enjoy. :)

Anthony...

I had never seen those designs rejected. Imagination has no limits. Some designs are very interesting, others are very crazy.

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

Wow! Neo Geo CD style controller for modern gaming by 8bitDo and officially licensed by SNK. . NICE!!!

NEOGEO Wireless Controller

8BitDo NEOGEO Wireless Controller | 8BitDo

8BitDo Is Releasing A Cool Controller Inspired by A Console You Probably  Never Played - GameSpot

8BitDo Is Updating The Legendary Neo Geo CD Controller | Time Extension

8BitDo Neo Geo CD Wireless Controller Brings Back Retro Look and Feel,  Costs $34.99 - TechEBlog

8BitDo's modernized Neo Geo CD controller offers 35-hour battery life and  wireless connectivity | Engadget

8BitDo Neo Geo CD Wireless Controller Brings Back Retro Look and Feel,  Costs $34.99 - TechEBlog

8BitDo Is Releasing A Cool Controller Inspired by A Console You Probably  Never Played - GameSpot

8BitDo NEOGEO Wireless Controller

A perfect recreation of the original SNK NEOGEO controller. For the first time.
We spent 3 years redesigning in house from the ground up.
Featuring the iconic classic click-style joystick.
Bluetooth. 2.4G. Wired.
Compatible with Windows, Android, and NEOGEO mini.
Officially licensed by SNK.

Order on 8bitDo website or Amazon now!!!!

https://shop.8bitdo.com/

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo-neogeo-controller

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9CXGCB3?linkCode=sl1&tag=neogeonow-20&linkId=587db8e1647b4667e30c329a91abbdb8&language=es_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&th=1

Anthony...

Really wish they didn't show it off like this, I'll buy a couple regardless, but this kinda makes it look like it would work with my front loader through some sort of waveband sort of dongle at first glance... 😕

314966449_Screenshot2023-07-05at6_08_26PM.thumb.png.4f37400c6eddcb8657d57041ce2a9dc5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be extremely cautious about anything 8BitDo makes. I have like 6 of their controllers and 4 of them are complete garbage. Of those 4 trash controllers, most of the time they won't even connect to the Switch at all. When they actually do manage to connect, they have the absolute worst d-pads I have ever used (yes, worse than the 360 or even the Intellivision's disc thing) and one of them had a defective analog stick right out of the box.

I would say to avoid this company completely, but one of their non-garbage controllers, the M30 2.4g for the real Mega Drive/Genesis, is one of the best console controllers I have ever used, so I have no idea what is going on with this company. Neo Geo CD controller is one of my favourite controllers, so I hope this turns out okay.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'd be extremely cautious about anything 8BitDo makes. I have like 6 of their controllers and 4 of them are complete garbage. Of those 4 trash controllers, most of the time they won't even connect to the Switch at all. When they actually do manage to connect, they have the absolute worst d-pads I have ever used (yes, worse than the 360 or even the Intellivision's disc thing) and one of them had a defective analog stick right out of the box.

I would say to avoid this company completely, but one of their non-garbage controllers, the M30 2.4g for the real Mega Drive/Genesis, is one of the best console controllers I have ever used, so I have no idea what is going on with this company. Neo Geo CD controller is one of my favourite controllers, so I hope this turns out okay.

Are the 4 garbage ones older or newer than the M30? I'm not talking about when you bought them, but when they were released. They improved a lot and it's possible every controller since the M30 would be as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Are the 4 garbage ones older or newer than the M30? I'm not talking about when you bought them, but when they were released. They improved a lot and it's possible every controller since the M30 would be as good.

I'd have to check, but I know 2 of them are older. Those 2 are the same model, though, the old Bluetooth version of the SN30. That Nt mini Noir controller is pretty okay, though the d-pad feels rather stiff. Never used a real Famicom or NES controller, so I don't know how it compares. I think one of them might have been released after, but I need to go dig it out of storage to find the product name so I can check lol.

The product names of 8BitDo are very confusing, too. They mostly seem to be (something)30 (maybe followed by an additional something). I never remember which one is which. I only ever remember the M30 because M = Mega Drive. All of those (S)N30 things are super confusing.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I'm a sucker for controllers, especially 8bitdo's, so I'll get at least one.  And probably a second one, once broken ones hit ebay, if those switches will work in my original unit.

Same here Reaper. I like to collect controllers. The Kyo, Iori, Terry, and Mai versions really give it a nice touch. But in this ase, I'm really eyeing the plain style the most. That one is itching for me to buy. Maybe  I'll purchase a few of them. :)

Anthony...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Oh wow! What perfect timing Reaper. Now this really is a sure shot sign to purchase the controllers with the help of boosting the CD's load times. Thank you for sharing the video with us bro. I'm sold. :)

Anthony...

8 hours ago, MarkoCG77 said:

Absolutely amazing preorder for Neo geo CD style pads by 8bit do, seems to be licensed as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9BZR395/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Even comes in defacto black, Iori, Kyo, Mai and Terry themes

Man, those controllers look so cool Marko. I want them for the collection. But the version I'm interested the most is the original plain piece the most. I'm thinking of purchasing a few of them to add to the collection since I love Neo-Geo controllers. How about you bro? :)

Anthony..

8 hours ago, Cobra Strike Down said:

Really wish they didn't show it off like this, I'll buy a couple regardless, but this kinda makes it look like it would work with my front loader through some sort of waveband sort of dongle at first glance... 😕

I was thinking the same with that as well Cobra. It's not going to work on the unit so it made me wonder. I'm guessing they wanted an official SNK unit to have to show what the corded controller was originally use for when gamers played back in the 90's. Still like to purchase a few of them for sure Cobra. :)

Anthony..

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah Steve, when they first started out, I read reviews on how they broke rather easily and were cheaply made. But I believe they changed over time for the better and reconsidered buy a few of their pieces as they progressed. Glad they changed for the better. :)

Anthony..

9 hours ago, Franjo said:

I had never seen those designs rejected. Imagination has no limits. Some designs are very interesting, others are very crazy.

Thanks for sharing. 

You're welcome Franjo. Really amazing artwork done for sure. Thank you for stopping by to post with us bro. :)

Anthony...

5 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Speaking of the Neo Geo CD:

I still Look forward to that episode of Neo Geo Generation on the original.

Ooooh! Now this will be a great way to start my morning right. Thank you for sharing this wit us Slidel. I'll get the breakfast to enjoy it bro. :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with neocvera. Here we see him talking about the 8BitDo NeoGeo wireless controller that was mentioned. Enjoy. :)

8Bitdo NEOGEO Wireless Controller@8BitDo #SNK Preorders up! (I ordered 2) https://amzn.to/46BYSZP

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with madlittlepixel. Here we see him discussing about the 8BitDo NeoGeo controller that was just mentioned yesterday. But he also made another video on the Analogue DUO that captured my attention. Is there a connection here between the two? :ponder:

Ok hear me out... just speculation but is Analogue making a Neo Geo FPGA console? Why is 8bitdo all of a sudden making Neo Geo controllers? A little late for the Neo Geo Mini Hype train... unless... Maybe that new Neo Geo console is actually coming?

Maybe the answer was right in front of our faces the entire time... Analogue may already be taking preorders for a Neo Geo CD Console? Thats why 8Bitdo is putting out Neo Geo controllers? Hmm...

Anthony...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Yeah Steve, when they first started out, I read reviews on how they broke rather easily and were cheaply made. But I believe they changed over time for the better and reconsidered buy a few of their pieces as they progressed. Glad they changed for the better. :)

Anthony..

Yeah, we'll see. I think someone around here said that the newer d-pads on the new 2.4g version of their Super Nintendo controller still has the same unusable d-pad as the old versions. I should have mentioned this before, but this should be relatively safe if it's actually using microswitches for the clicky stick.

I do wonder about why they specifically chose KOF '97 for the limited edition version, though. Why 97? The 25th anniversary of the game was last year, not this year, and everyone seems to agree that the best ones are '98 and 2002.

I will almost certainly buy one of these controllers just to see how it is, and I see it as a very interesting MiSTer controller. I really wish it worked on the Switch, which doesn't exactly have a lot of controllers with great d-pads, and for it to not work on Switch is kind of strange.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I do wonder about why they specifically chose KOF '97 for the limited edition version, though. Why 97? The 25th anniversary of the game was last year, not this year, and everyone seems to agree that the best ones are '98 and 2002.

I was wondering the same thing when KOF '97 was reissued a few years ago; apparently this game is hugely popular in Asia for some reasons, and 8BitDo is based in HK.

As far as 8bitdo reliability/quality,

I had trouble with older 8bitdos, specifically the BT 8bitdo that came with the original/old NT Mini, which was my first experience with the 8bitdo controllers, but they've since upgraded their tech and the newer nt mini noir's 2.4g unit is great. Basically ever since their 2.4ghz usb receiver units got that 'brick-covered dongle' look I haven't seen issues. --not that all their controllers come with the dongle, I'm just using it as a generational descriptor.

The issues I had with that nt-mini bluetooth were problems binding (I only ever got it to bind twice), and when it did bind there was noticeable latency, but I am perhaps overly-sensitive to that. Also there have been a couple bluetooth generations since. After that initial experience, I've noticed 8bitdo has become really sensitive to the latency (MiSTeraddons latency chart) and pretty much everything they sell is under a frame, also I haven't seen any more BT bind issues, but I'm mostly not a BT-guy. One thing I will say is 8bitdo d-pads are often not quite to my taste. Their competition over at retrobit tends to do better in that regard. This new click-stick is a huge unknown, but I'm optimistic. 

I've developed a nasty habit of buying all of the retro 8bitdos over the past half decade or so, and have generally been super-pleased with these:

tCCYc7zm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I was wondering the same thing when KOF '97 was reissued a few years ago; apparently this game is hugely popular in Asia for some reasons, and 8BitDo is based in HK.

That would do it; I have no idea about gaming in Asian countries outside of Japan and South Korea, and even then the only thing that I know about Korea is that StarCraft used to more or less be the national sport there. Not sure if it still is, but it used to be huge there. '97 is still an odd choice, but if they like it for whatever reason(s), I guess that works.