IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

fdurso224 was kind enough to point me towards a broken AES to add to my ever expanding hardware. He thought it would be a good idea for me to share the repairs and the story with everyone.

The unit itself is in pretty good shape. It came from a Japanese seller with missing sprites but showing a blue diagnostic screen. Upon receiving it I was able to confirm that it was in the exact condition the seller pointed out.

Whenever I have systems like this come in for repair I like to see the issue and then open the console up and see if it has ever been tampered with. In this case it had not ever been opened before and did not show any obvious signs of damage. So no blown caps, obviously damaged traces or broken components.

The first step after board inspection is to do the "flex" test. Basically for those not aware, this is literally going around the board while it is powered on and just pressing on chips and tracks of traces. This will help point out broken solder joints and broken traces. In this case, again there was nothing obvious.

The next step is to remove the BIOS chip and install a socket. The reason for this is to be able to swap BIOS whenever needed and in this case to install a Diagnostic BIOS. The Diagnostic BIOS returned no errors, so next up was to run the Universe BIOS tests. Again no issues. I didn't expect these to show anything, but it's still a good test.

So the next part is where things become interesting. Since this was to be my personal console, I decided to pull all of the RAM and buffer chips that we have seen fail frequently and socket these as well. While doing this, I did find a few corroded traces which I installed jumper wires for, but this did not correct the issue. I also installed known good chips to verify that the issues were not with any of these chips.

At this point ruling out the more common chips, it was time to focus on the custom chips. The Neo-B1 handles the sprite layers as sent from the cart. Before checking traces, I went ahead and reflowed the Neo-B1. This doesn't take very long and will help me if I end up having to remove the chip later. The reflow did not fix the issue either. However it did help enable me to drive the sprite layers as I saw fit. This showed me that I could alter the errors being seen on screen. From this point I had to follow traces from the GAD0-3 and GBD0-3 pins on the cart connector to the Neo-B1.

Now, this is not the only way to test these, but I do not have a scope in my shop right now and I had to buy a new logic probe which will be here tomorrow, so I was doing this solely with a multimeter. After testing each pin to see if I was getting continuity from the cart slot to the Neo-B1 I found the GBD3, the last one of course, did not have continuity. From this point it was a matter of following the trace to determine where the break was. Many people would just run a new wire from the cart slot to the Neo-B1 and that's ok. However my goal was to keep this as OEM in appearance as possible while also keeping any jumper wires as short as possible and crossing as few components as possible, to minimize interference.

After following the trace I found the break was actually underneath the Neo-B1 itself. How this broke, I have no idea. Despite having the equipment to remove the Neo-B1 and repair the trace, I made the decision to use a jumper wire instead of taking the risk of removing the chip and potentially causing additional damage, keep in mind the Neo-B1 is a QFP160 package.

After adding the jumper wire, everything was perfect. At this point, the console is good but I am going to replace all of the capacitors since they are TK brand. I also cut the traces running under the crystal to minimize jailbars and I will be installing a new RGB amplifier soon.

I know this was a long read, but fdurso224 and I discussed putting the entire story out there for you all to read. I do have a few more broken NeoGeo consoles coming my way for repairs, so if you would like to see or hear more about repairs let me know and/or check out my website. The pictures are large because I take high quality pictures of everything I work on. Also I need to make better labels for UniBios, but please note that the UniBios I am using is authentic. I have permission from Razoola to purchase and burn my own UniBios chips for installations. I cannot sell the chips outright without an install however.

26951774_382477242197146_735328786275268

26952268_382477272197143_623248081888354

26952331_382477305530473_513091168731807

26952405_382477325530471_216374867836659

26841202_382477362197134_478774761654697

26685840_382477395530464_398067073111432

26850233_383229772121893_133390079849480

26758163_383229808788556_929094421082005

26814602_383229835455220_659284394245084

26756796_383229888788548_872473360947634

26758282_383229922121878_343812359667058

Hi mobius,

Thank you for sharing this informative posting that you achieve on repairing this Neo-Geo AES console. Glad that I forward you this unit to be serviced and were proud of the outcome that you made out with it for sure. Looks fantastic and thank you for explaining how you were able to get it back to playable condition. Well done bro. It's perfect. :thumbsup:

Will be more than thrilled to see your future Neo-Geo repairs in the immediate future on those consoles that are on your way. If you wish to make a video of them mobius, we would love that even more. :)

I would also like to mention that you're are now one our maintenance and repair members for our Neo-Geo needs. So, if I happen to get in touch with a member, guest, or see a random YouTuber that is in need to have his console checked I'll forward them to you kind sir. Congratulations. mobius. :thumbsup: :)

Thank you as always for your contribution to the video game community and as being a new Neo-Geo AES owner kind sir. Keep up the great work you certainly do. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Always appreciated sir! I have at least 4 more systems being shipped to me soon. I probably won't go into as much depth explaining the repair and diagnostic process, just to prevent boring people, but I will definitely document the repairs and share before/after photos. If anyone else has additional systems in need of repairs, don't hesitate to reach out.

• Like 2

Always appreciated sir! I have at least 4 more systems being shipped to me soon. I probably won't go into as much depth explaining the repair and diagnostic process, just to prevent boring people, but I will definitely document the repairs and share before/after photos. If anyone else has additional systems in need of repairs, don't hesitate to reach out.

You're welcome mobius,

Glad to see you're on a roll with Neo-Geo systems coming in. Will be sure to contact you when we need your expertise. Thank you as always kind sir. We look forward on seeing what you have to say on the with picks, words and maybe some videos on your YouTube channel. :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. Hey guys1f917.png2728.png Today, NEOGEO 's MVS arrived at the Tokyo office!!!1f923.png2728.png When I was a child, MVS was put everywhere in town. 1f3ae.png I also played in various places!! I have been reunited for the first time in ten years and I am impressed...1f62d.png#SNK #Entergirl #NEOGEO pic.twitter.com/BwCIm0pGj2

DTq1o-bVwAAXCO-.jpg

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Back with fellow Atariage member dak1ng ofgames98. Here we see him discussing his Neo Geo CD unit. Glad you have this in your collection Brendan. Nice work bro. :)

From the description,

"I'm so sorry guys!! The video cut off before I could hook up my console and show some gameplay. I can post the links to some gameplay videos if you guys would want them. My final rate for the Neo Geo CD is an 8/10. I did notice the long loading screens, and they don't really bother me that much. I would highly recommend getting the Neo Geo CD as a cheaper solution to buying a Neo Geo A.E.S.

I DON'T OWN THE RIGHTS TO: SNK, SNK Neo Geo, Neo Geo, Fatal Fury, Real Bout Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, King of Fighters '94, Fatal Fury 3, and Fatal Fury 3: Road to the final Victory."

Anthony...

• Like 1

Oh no, will this video bring out the PlayStation fan boys? I hope not. I'm very fair with the comments, or at least I think so.

I take a look at the following versions:

Arcade / Neo Geo

Neo Geo CD

PlayStation

Saturn

PlayStation 2

Gameboy.

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 1

Oh no, will this video bring out the PlayStation fan boys? I hope not. I'm very fair with the comments, or at least I think so.

I take a look at the following versions:

Arcade / Neo Geo

Neo Geo CD

PlayStation

Saturn

PlayStation 2

Gameboy.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your video with King of Fighters '95 from your Battle of the Ports series. Yes, you bet the Playstation lovers are going to have a field day with the port from the Neo-Geo. But of course, you give a rational view and I'm sure the end results will put a smile on our faces. :)

Thank you as always Mark. Always a pleasure to see you posting on ATariage.com/ :thumbsup: :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. 【EVO Japan】 Please come and try our latest DLC character of KOF XIV at SNK booth (26th - 27th Jan, 2018)! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://evo-japan.net/en/ pic.twitter.com/vsenBHiwMs

DT6Hb6nUMAIH6_B.jpg
  1. 【EVO Japan】SNKブース情報① 1/26~1/27:『KOF XIV』の新規DLCキャラクターの先行試遊を実施! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html pic.twitter.com/kYko24HCVV

Translate from Japanese
    Translated from Japanese by Bing

[EVO Japan] SNK booth information ① 1/26-1/27: "KOF XIV' DLC characters preceding assays carried out cruise! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html #ttps://t.co/iw7PhebDrR

DT6FEQNU8AEuGjq.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【EVO Japan】 Please stop at SNK booth to watch the latest gameplay video for our brand new title, SNK HEROINES (26th - 27th Jan, 2018)! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://evo-japan.net/en/ pic.twitter.com/V0wlJ6DzZ0

DT6HsFrVQAEVlbU.jpg
  1. 【EVO Japan】SNKブース情報③ 1/26~1/27:新作タイトル『SNKヒロインズ』の最新プレイ映像を公開!スタートからフィニッシュまでを紹介! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html pic.twitter.com/oIlqNaQRqJ

Translate from Japanese

[EVO Japan] SNK booth info ③ 1/26-1/27: new title "heroines SNK's latest play video! From start to finish! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html #ttps://t.co/iw7PhebDrR

DT6FcHYVMAEcOEp.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【EVO Japan】 Get a Votive Tablet to pray for your victory! All KOF XIV tournament competitors will receive this and please show us your tournament pass at SNK booth on 26th Jan! *You will get one of those 3 types! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://evo-japan.net/en/ pic.twitter.com/fmaL6t8BoG

DT6Hl51VoAIX7Zs.jpg
  1. 【EVO Japan】SNKブース情報② 1/26:『KOF XIV』メイントーナメント出場者全員に「必勝祈願絵馬」をプレゼント! ※SNKブースにてトーナメントパスを提示ください。 ※3種類の絵柄の中からいずれかひとつをプレゼント! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html pic.twitter.com/J3ejWkDn9O

Translate from Japanese

[EVO Japan] SNK booth info ② 1/26: "KOF XIV' main tournament all the participants in the"victory prayer EMA"giveaway! ※ SNK booth should present his/her tournament pass. ※ Gift either one among the three types of patterns! #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html #ttps://t.co/iw7PhebDrR

DT6FVEaUMAArHsz.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【EVO Japan】 Get SNK Heroines sticker at our SNK booth and customise your favourite heroines (26th - 27th Jan, 2018)! *The numbers of the stickers have been limited. #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://evo-japan.net/en/ pic.twitter.com/IGjgvQlaW4

DT6HzwtVwAA1cGy.jpg
  1. 【EVO Japan】SNKブース情報④ 1/26~1/27:ヒロインたちをカスタマイズして楽しめる「SNKヒロインズステッカー」を来場者にプレゼント!(数に限りがあります) #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF #SNKHEROINES https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html pic.twitter.com/asf4tWsxLZ

Translate from Japanese

[EVO Japan] SNK booth info ④ 1/26-1/27: "SNK heroines stickers ' enjoy, customize the heroines get visitors! (Number limited) #evojapan2018 #SNK #KOF https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000062.000028651.html #ttps://t.co/iw7PhebDrR

DT6Fn1mVoAAEUSS.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【イベント情報③】『EVO Japan2018』SNKブースの物販にて5000円以上お買い物をされたお客様にSNKオンラインショップ衣装の「京」or「庵」のイベント限定44㎜缶バッジを1つプレゼントいたします!なくなり次第終了のためお早めにお求めください! #SNK #EVOJapan2018pic.twitter.com/sqzk0tU2lK

Translate from Japanese

[Event info ③] ones "EVO japa2018, SNK booth customers served in more than 5,000 yen sales and purchases by SNK online shop costumes-Kyo or an event limited edition 44 mm badge one prizes! Lasts for termination in advance please ask! #SNK #EVOJapan2018

DT53jOGUQAAIHKG.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【イベント情報②】『EVO Japan2018』SNKブース物販の商品のラインナップが決定いたしました!イベント限定販売の『福袋』や先行販売される『SNKヒロインズ』グッズなど盛りだくさんの内容で出店します!【ブース場所:池袋サンシャインシティ展示Bホール】http://www.4gamer.net/games/406/G040683/20180119127/ pic.twitter.com/xqk1dpy1GG

Translate from Japanese

[Event info ②] decided the "EVO Japan2018, SNK booth sales product lineup! Lots of content such as event limited edition "bags" or "heroines SNK' goods will be leading the opening! [booth location: Ikebukuro Sunshine City Hall B] http://www. 4gamer.net/games/406/G040683/20180119127/

DT513K-U0AAvoPZ.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with Atariage member with an informative and entertaining video that will benefit our members and guest. So let's dive right in, and listen to what Field has to say about the Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) with some gameplay samples of Windjammers and Last Blade 2. Enjoy :)

From the description,

"Good morning everybody!

Today I decided to unplug the OSSC and just give a short review as to why I love it so much. This device is really a must have for anyone who wants to play retro games on a modern tv. Please let me know if you have any questions."

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

1. The results for KOKOF are in. Team Blue (Yoshi, James & Luis) are the first ever winners on the Neo Geo World Tour at LA of The King of King of Fighters. Congratulations to all of you! @luiss_cha @PhilMoore4u @seaner_game @SNKPofficial @Retro_City_Festpic.twitter.com/sTmuSNej8U – at Pomona Fairplex

DUCsCwaUMAARDBF.jpg

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

1. The first ever winner on the Neo Geo World Tour at LA in The King of Fighters XIV is Luis Martinez. Congratulations again! @luiss_cha @PhilMoore4u @seaner_game @SNKPofficial @Retro_City_Festpic.twitter.com/ysDLm8pPHK – at Pomona Fairplex

DUCMVP-UMAEr98h.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. Our first ever winner on the Neo Geo World Tour at LA in The King of Fighters '98 is Raphael Ramos. Huge congratulations! It was an awesome match. @Laban9898 @PhilMoore4u @seaner_game @SNKPofficial @Retro_City_Festpic.twitter.com/UPk8D5wHBu – at Pomona Fairplex

DUBe2OjXUAAdVTp.jpg

Anthony..

• Like 1

And the first ever winner on the Neo Geo World Tour at LA in Fatal Fury Special is Juan Meza aka Wicked Element. A big congratulations! @WickedElement @Laban9898 @PhilMoore4u @seaner_game @SNKPofficial @Retro_City_Festpic.twitter.com/fbdBL1FOHe – at Pomona Fairplex

DUA9O79X4AE_KgU.jpg

Anthony...