IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

692ea7f258eeb8802130f55eee732ef0_bigger.

Hoy no es un día cualquiera. El 26 de abril de 1990 la compañía SNK comenzó a comercializar la recreativa en casa. NEO GEO (AES) cumple 30 años. Vamos a dar un viaje por la historia ¿Vienes?

Translated from Spanish by
Today is not just any day. On April 26, 1990, the SNK company began marketing the arcade at home. NEO GEO (AES) is 30 years old. Let's take a trip through history, are you coming?

6:38 PM · Apr 25, 2020

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

El 26 de abril de 1990 se comercializó en régimen de alquiler para hoteles y zonas de lujo. El modelo fue bautizado como Neo Geo AES Rental System.
On April 26, 1990, it was commercialized on a rental basis for hotels and luxury areas. The model was named Neo Geo AES Rental System.

6:38 PM · Apr 25, 2020·

Anthony..

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Se diseñó en distintas versiones para albergar 1,2,4 y 6 ranuras para cartuchos. A esta versión se la denominó MVS (Multi Video System)
It was designed in different versions to house 1,2,4 and 6 cartridge slots. This version was called MVS (Multi Video System)

6:38 PM · Apr 25, 2020·

Anthony..

Hi guys,

On doit le nom Neo·Geo à Masanori Kusumoto, illustrateur maison qui a rejoint la société en 1986. Il a par ailleurs designé le logo de la machine ainsi que la console et ses joysticks.
Translated from French by
We owe the name Neo · Geo to Masanori Kusumoto, house illustrator who joined the company in 1986. He also designed the machine's logo as well as the console and its joysticks.

6:48 PM · Apr 25, 2020·

Anthony..

• Like 1

Today is April 26. Exactly 30 years have passed since the release of the Neo Geo. Happy birthday Neo Geo! I think I'll be back shortly with some new hardware! Depends on what I can find, though.
Got some new Neo Geo hardware myself today...
e7dd8ec19a625b1b1ca2a74b1b762d7c.jpg
Hmm... French postage featuring a coyote? Who could this be from?
08d299166ceef825b237a1f244368b57.jpg
You guessed it: it's something from Furrtek. ;)
ab86454812e0e9aa3fcd1ddefc10896d.jpg
It's a couple Neo SD Loader kits since I have two Neo Geo CD toploaders on-hand. :)

This is going to be fun!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Today is April 26. Exactly 30 years have passed since the release of the Neo Geo. Happy birthday Neo Geo! I think I'll be back shortly with some new hardware! Depends on what I can find, though.

30 years just flew right by Steve. I remember like it was just yesterday when they rolled those big red beauties off the distributors truck bro. Amazing times for sure. ;-)

Anthony..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CZroe said:

Got some new Neo Geo hardware myself today...

Hmm... French postage featuring a coyote? Who could this be from?

You guessed it: it's something from Furrtek. ;)

It's a couple Neo SD Loader kits since I have two Neo Geo CD toploaders on-hand. :)

This is going to be fun!

Whoa! :-o Really cool to see this Emmett. I agree, this is going to be fun no doubt about it. Nice that you know Furrek. The fella is a genius and offers so much to the video game community. I wish I had the intelligence like him. ;-)

Anthony..

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

NEO GEO GET!!!

I didn't inspect it before I bought it and the controller was covering it so I couldn't see any of the scratches. I should have checked it before I bought it, but too late! Oh well. KOF 96 is the only game I have for it. It's that same copy I mentioned a while back!

WOW!!! Just...WOW!!! :-o

What a beauty of a unit this is Steve. Man, what a great deal you purchased. Welcome to the Neo-Geo owners club bro. You're going to have a blast with your new console in your collection. That KOF '96 looks great to have with it. The soundtrack in that title is really good. I listen to it on YouTube a lot. 

No worries about the scratches Steve, have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges or sheets. They do wonders and help my Neo-Geo units to remove the scratches.  I do it genitally on them so the pressing won't cause fading of smearing. But they do work.

Thank you for sharing this with us Steve. This really made our day and glad you have the awesome system in your collection. Any games you're thinking of getting next bro? ;-) 

Anthony...

1 minute ago, fdurso224 said:

30 years just flew right by Steve. I remember like it was just yesterday when they rolled those big red beauties off the distributors truck bro. Amazing times for sure. ;-)

Anthony..

I missed the Neo Geo completely! Probably because I'm only 19 days older than the Neo Geo!

I played a single round of KOF 96 just now. Yes, just one round, not even a full match! That's just because I have not configured my OSSC yet, though. I'll dive in and play it for a while after I try some of the other games I got today and after I set up the OSSC properly for the Neo Geo. This game seems really fun and since I am super terrible at fighting games having a team of fighters is great. I wish that once someone gets KOed that the next fighter just steps in seamlessly instead of loading, but that's really not a problem. Normally I don't play fighting games ever, but I don't hate them and lots of the non-fighting games on the Neo Geo are crazy expensive. KOF 96 is generally considered to be one of the better KOF games and I only paid 9300 yen for it, so this is what I chose. I also loaded up on games for my new SuperGrafx, so I didn't have a lot of cash for the Neo Geo today.

I used the HD Retrovision cable on the OSSC. Didn't bother to set up the OSSC for it yet, but it looks nice even without a proper OSSC configuration. I imagine it will look super tasty on my Trinitron!

Still, games for this thing are crazy expensive. I've still not decided which flash cart to get. Neo SD Pro has the best feature set, but is by far the most expensive and Terraonion has been having all sorts of manufacturing errors recently. Not sure if I want to wait or go with the Darksoft cart instead. Opinions?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

WOW!!! Just...WOW!!! :-o

What a beauty of a unit this is Steve. Man, what a great deal you purchased. Welcome to the Neo-Geo owners club bro. You're going to have a blast with your new console in your collection. That KOF '96 looks great to have with it. The soundtrack in that title is really good. I listen to it on YouTube a lot. 

No worries about the scratches Steve, have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges or sheets. They do wonders and help my Neo-Geo units to remove the scratches.  I do it genitally on them so the pressing won't cause fading of smearing. But they do work.

Thank you for sharing this with us Steve. This really made our day and glad you have the awesome system in your collection. Any games you're thinking of getting next bro? ;-) 

Anthony...

Yeah, thanks! I'll see about cleaning it up with what's available here. I have the same regular isopropyl alcohol that everyone uses for cleaning games, so I'll try that in a while. This thing get totally covered in fingerprints, though!

I'm looking at Metal Slug, Xeno Crisis, and some of the better KOF games right now. Metal Slugs will be on a flash cart, of course, since I can't afford any of them! One of my friends lives 10 minutes away by train and he loves KOF 2003. Couldn't find that one today and had limited cash, though. Also have Project Neon, which I backed on Kickstarter, coming eventually as well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, thanks! I'll see about cleaning it up with what's available here. I have the same regular isopropyl alcohol that everyone uses for cleaning games, so I'll try that in a while. This thing get totally covered in fingerprints, though!

I'm looking at Metal Slug, Xeno Crisis, and some of the better KOF games right now. Metal Slugs will be on a flash cart, of course, since I can't afford any of them! One of my friends lives 10 minutes away by train and he loves KOF 2003. Couldn't find that one today and had limited cash, though. Also have Project Neon, which I backed on Kickstarter, coming eventually as well!

You're welcome Steve. Were glad to have you on with us posting away . Yeah. i use the isopropyl alcohol myself when I purchase games and the systems. I know what ya mean about fingerprints. I really grinds my gears when I see them. 

Sounds like a great plan that you have in mind for getting more Neo-Geo titles. KOF '98 should be the next game to purchase. That's considered the best in the series and the art book that  was available for it is really nice to have. This will be cool to read and see what you have next to purchase and your Neo-Geo endeavers bro. This really made my day for sure. ;-)

Anthony..

11 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I missed the Neo Geo completely! Probably because I'm only 19 days older than the Neo Geo!

I played a single round of KOF 96 just now. Yes, just one round, not even a full match! That's just because I have not configured my OSSC yet, though. I'll dive in and play it for a while after I try some of the other games I got today and after I set up the OSSC properly for the Neo Geo. This game seems really fun and since I am super terrible at fighting games having a team of fighters is great. I wish that once someone gets KOed that the next fighter just steps in seamlessly instead of loading, but that's really not a problem. Normally I don't play fighting games ever, but I don't hate them and lots of the non-fighting games on the Neo Geo are crazy expensive. KOF 96 is generally considered to be one of the better KOF games and I only paid 9300 yen for it, so this is what I chose. I also loaded up on games for my new SuperGrafx, so I didn't have a lot of cash for the Neo Geo today.

I used the HD Retrovision cable on the OSSC. Didn't bother to set up the OSSC for it yet, but it looks nice even without a proper OSSC configuration. I imagine it will look super tasty on my Trinitron!

Still, games for this thing are crazy expensive. I've still not decided which flash cart to get. Neo SD Pro has the best feature set, but is by far the most expensive and Terraonion has been having all sorts of manufacturing errors recently. Not sure if I want to wait or go with the Darksoft cart instead. Opinions?

Interesting to know Steve. Personally, I like both Terraonion's and Darksoft's version of the carts available. I want to get the NeoSD Pro because I have good communications with the fellas at Terraonion. But both are reliable units to own and have know issues with their works. 

A Sony Trinitron. Ooooh!! A superb choice to have Steve. :thumbsup: ;-)

Anthony...

10 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

You're welcome Steve. Were glad to have you on with us posting away . Yeah. i use the isopropyl alcohol myself when I purchase games and the systems. I know what ya mean about fingerprints. I really grinds my gears when I see them. 

Sounds like a great plan that you have in mind for getting more Neo-Geo titles. KOF '98 should be the next game to purchase. That's considered the best in the series and the art book that  was available for it is really nice to have. This will be cool to read and see what you have next to purchase and your Neo-Geo endeavers bro. This really made my day for sure. ;-)

Anthony..

Yeah, 2003 and 98 are generally always at the tops of people's lists. I saw 94, 95, 96, and 97 today, so I decided to get 96 since I think 96 is generally considered the best of these options. It's also a bit cheaper while still being very good.

I tried the alcohol just now and the white scratches are totally gone! It cleaned up very nicely! There are still some really small white scratches near the text, but I'd rather keep the alcohol away from the text so I don't kill the text.

I totally forgot to buy that CD controller even though I was in the store and walked right past it! I'll probably go back tomorrow since it's getting a bit late and I don't feel like going all the way back to Akiba today.

4 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Interesting to know Steve. Personally, I like both Terraonion's and Darksoft's version of the carts available. I want to get the NeoSD Pro because I have good communications with the fellas at Terraonion. But both are reliable units to own and have know issues with their works. 

A Sony Trinitron. Ooooh!! A superb choice to have Steve. :thumbsup: ;-)

Anthony...

Yeah, neodev is a good guy and I have a lot of respect for him since every time I ask him to fix something he gets right on it immediately! I'm concerned about the manufacturing stuff with the NeoSD Pro right now. I guess they didn't make the spacers on the newest batch of carts correctly or something. Not sure of the specifics, though. Still, the NeoSD Pro is probably my choice overall since it's got the best features out of the 3 good choices. I don't really trust those 161 in 1 carts or anything like that, either. I'd rather spend the money and get a good cart from Terraonion.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Yeah, 2003 and 98 are generally always at the tops of people's lists. I saw 94, 95, 96, and 97 today, so I decided to get 96 since I think 96 is generally considered the best of these options.

I tried the alcohol just now and the white scratches are totally gone! It cleaned up very nicely! There are still some really small white scratches near the text, but I'd rather keep the alcohol away from the text so I don't kill the text.

I totally forgot to buy that CD controller even though I was in the store and walked right past it! I'll probably go back tomorrow since it's getting a bit late and I don't feel like going all the way back to Akiba today.

Yeah, neodev is a good guy and I have a lot of respect for him since every time I ask him to fix something he gets right on it immediately! I'm concerned about the manufacturing stuff with the NeoSD Pro right now. I guess they didn't make the spacers on the newest batch of carts correctly or something. Not sure of the specifics, though. Still, the NeoSD Pro is probably my choice overall since it's got the best features out of the 3 good choices. I don't really trust those 161 in 1 carts or anything like that, either. I'd rather spend the money and get a good cart from Terraonion.

Good to know the rubbing alcohol work. Yeah, I use it the moment I open my packages to clean the consoles. Some of the previous owners are really inconsiderate seeing you spend good money on games that they can least show their sanitary conditions. :|

Oh man, I forgot about the NGCD controller. But we would love to see it from you in your collection Steve. That piece caught my interest since it's offered at a good price.  I agree the Neo SD Pro has some concerns right now. But they never disappoint and offer the best that they can do for the community. I still have plans on purchasing their MODE for the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast from them as well. ;-)  

Anthony...

2 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Good to know the rubbing alcohol work. Yeah, I use it the moment I open my packages to clean the consoles. Some of the previous owners are really inconsiderate seeing you spend good money on games that they can least show their sanitary conditions. :|

Oh man, I forgot about the NGCD controller. But we would love to see it from you in your collection Steve. That piece caught my interest since it's offered at a good price.  I agree the Neo SD Pro has some concerns right now. But they never disappoint and offer the best that they can do for the community. I still have plans on purchasing their MODE for the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast from them as well. ;-)  

Anthony...

I forgot to mention my Trinitron! It's a huge 29 inch model that was only released here in Japan: KV-29DR1. It has not been set up properly and the remote that it comes with does not have the capability of doing that, and it also has a big discolored spot about the size of my fist in the top left corner, but I should hopefully be able to fix that with a degaussing coil. Still, that spot only shows up when it displays certain colors (mostly red, in which case it shows yellow instead) and the overall picture is extremely beautiful. Here is a nice close range shot of Yuuko in the Japanese Mega Drive version of Valis on my Trinitron with the HD Retrovision cables:

Pic_1129_166.thumb.jpg.c06adb9cfec4ca93daf0ae37681a761e.jpg

You can't see the scanlines unless you put your face right next to it, though, but as you can see, the picture quality is insane.

Yeah, I am looking forward to MODE as well. I have no systems to use with it, but I have wanted to get a Skeleton Saturn for about a year now. Now I will have an excuse to get one! I've been thinking about the Dreamcast as well since I love Sega in general and everyone who has played the Dreamcast says it's really a great system and a lot of those people prefer it over the PS2.

Anyway, I might go back and get that Neo Geo CD controller tomorrow if it is still there. The whole town is basically empty right now, so I imagine they are not getting much traffic and Neo Geo stuff generally doesn't sell too quickly because of the prices. Still cheaper here than in other parts of the world, though.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention my Trinitron! It's a huge 29 inch model that was only released here in Japan: KV-29DR1. It has not been set up properly and the remote that it comes with does not have the capability of doing that, and it also has a big discolored spot about the size of my fist in the top left corner, but I should hopefully be able to fix that with a degaussing coil. Still, that spot only shows up when it displays certain colors (mostly red, in which case it shows yellow instead) and the overall picture is extremely beautiful. Here is a nice close range shot of Yuuko in the Japanese Mega Drive version of Valis on my Trinitron with the HD Retrovision cables:

You can't see the scanlines unless you put your face right next to it, though, but as you can see, the picture quality is insane.

Yeah, I am looking forward to MODE as well. I have no systems to use with it, but I have wanted to get a Skeleton Saturn for about a year now. Now I will have an excuse to get one! I've been thinking about the Dreamcast as well since I love Sega in general and everyone who has played the Dreamcast says it's really a great system and a lot of those people prefer it over the PS2.

Anyway, I might go back and get that Neo Geo CD controller tomorrow if it is still there. The whole town is basically empty right now, so I imagine they are not getting much traffic and Neo Geo stuff generally doesn't sell too quickly because of the prices. Still cheaper here than in other parts of the world, though.

Oh wow!! :-o A Japanese exclusive Trinitron unit. What a powerful unit this is. Look at that pic. It's beautiful for sure. Man, i got to tell ya Steve. You really know your TV units to play on retro consoles bro. :thumbsup:

Nice, we would like you to pick up that controller. I personally play the NGCD version on the AES a lot. :D

Anthony..

17 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Oh wow!! :-o A Japanese exclusive Trinitron unit. What a powerful unit this is. Look at that pic. It's beautiful for sure. Man, i got to tell ya Steve. You really know your TV units to play on retro consoles bro. :thumbsup:

Nice, we would like you to pick up that controller. I personally play the NGCD version on the AES a lot. :D

Anthony..

Well, not really. I just bought it since it's a big Trinitron with component input. Trinitrons are top of the line for consumer CRTs and this one has YCbCr, so I knew it would be a good one.

Are you still using your original Neo Geo PSU? My Neo Geo came with the original SNK PSU. I left the PSU plugged in after I turned off the Neo Geo. I just unplugged the Neo Geo PSU to plug my Mega Drive back in to try this weird shooter (Arrow Flash) that I bought randomly today without doing any research. Just saw the box, thought "I've never seen this game before" and bought it since the box art looked nice and because it's a Japanese MD shooter.

Anyway, the original SNK PSU got a little warm, even though I'd stopped using the Neo Geo at least an hour ago. Best to get a newer generic PSU or use the SNK one?

4 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, not really. I just bought it since it's a big Trinitron with component input. Trinitrons are top of the line for consumer CRTs and this one has YCbCr, so I knew it would be a good one.

Are you still using your original Neo Geo PSU? My Neo Geo came with the original SNK PSU. I left the PSU plugged in after I turned off the Neo Geo. I just unplugged the Neo Geo PSU to plug my Mega Drive back in to try this weird shooter (Arrow Flash) that I bought randomly today without doing any research. Just saw the box, thought "I've never seen this game before" and bought it since the box art looked nice and because it's a Japanese MD shooter.

Anyway, the original SNK PSU got a little warm, even though I'd stopped using the Neo Geo at least an hour ago. Best to get a newer generic PSU or use the SNK one?

Yes, I still have the original PSU for my Neo-Geo ever since I purchased it  and use it for my first AES unit. I do have a few generic versions in my gaming room that will work fine for the other AES units I have, but as for the first AES unit that I started with, I use the authentic SNK version. I don't have a preference to them seeing that both generic or authentic do just fine, but if you can purchase either one for a good price, I say go for it bro. ;-)

Anthony.. 

3 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Yes, I still have the original PSU for my Neo-Geo ever since I purchased it  and use it for my first AES unit. I do have a few generic versions in my gaming room that will work fine for the other AES units I have, but as for the first AES unit that I started with, I use the authentic SNK version. I don't have a preference to them seeing that both generic or authentic do just fine, but if you can purchase either one for a good price, I say go for it bro. ;-)

Anthony.. 

Okay. I guess I will continue to use the original SNK PSU, then. I have left one of my Sega PSUs plugged in for over a month now since I use it to power both my 32X and my Nomad (only have that one PSU for both systems, so I constantly have to swap) and it seems to be fine. I imagine the SNK PSU should also be fine.

I forgot to test the headphone jack on the Neo Geo! I love headphone jacks! Every video game console should have a headphone jack! I actually was willing to put in some work to repair a PC Engine DUO just to get the headphone jack since that is the only model of PC Engine (aside from GT and LT) to have a headphone jack. Now that the SSDS3 is out, I decided to get the CoreGrafx and then the SuperGrafx, and those unfortunately don't have headphone jacks.

Still, the Neo Geo does have one and I am glad it does! Hopefully it isn't noisy like the ones in my Mega Drive and Nomad. The MD is not too bad, but the Nomad isn't great and the right channel is louder than the left and it's pretty annoying. Worth it to have a real portable Genesis, though! Anyway, I don't have a whole lot of Neo Geo games right now (only KOF 96!), but I'll look at some more games tomorrow. I saw Garou Densetsu 2 for about 3000 yen CIB, but I have heard there isn't much point in playing that when you can play KOF instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Okay. I guess I will continue to use the original SNK PSU, then. I have left one of my Sega PSUs plugged in for over a month now since I use it to power both my 32X and my Nomad (only have that one PSU for both systems, so I constantly have to swap) and it seems to be fine. I imagine the SNK PSU should also be fine.

I forgot to test the headphone jack on the Neo Geo! I love headphone jacks! Every video game console should have a headphone jack! I actually was willing to put in some work to repair a PC Engine DUO just to get the headphone jack since that is the only model of PC Engine (aside from GT and LT) to have a headphone jack. Now that the SSDS3 is out, I decided to get the CoreGrafx and then the SuperGrafx, and those unfortunately don't have headphone jacks.

Still, the Neo Geo does have one and I am glad it does! Hopefully it isn't noisy like the ones in my Mega Drive and Nomad. The MD is not too bad, but the Nomad isn't great and the right channel is louder than the left and it's pretty annoying. Worth it to have a real portable Genesis, though! Anyway, I don't have a whole lot of Neo Geo games right now (only KOF 96!), but I'll look at some more games tomorrow. I saw Garou Densetsu 2 for about 3000 yen CIB, but I have heard there isn't much point in playing that when you can play KOF instead.

Interestingly Steve., The only time I used the head phone jack was when I made my first ever purchased with the AES. I never dawned on me why I never did so again. Got me curious to do so again since it is a nice feature to have on the console. I think i have to give it a try again sometime in the future.  ;-)

Anthony..

So my Neo Geo has some pretty terrible jailbars or something going on. I figured that it was something to do with the OSSC not being configured properly for Neo Geo, but I played it on the Trinitron in RGB with the HD Retrovision cables and it's ugly there as well. Should I try to get a different one, or are they all like this? I doubt they would let me return it.

My childhood friend moved in a couple years ago after a divorce and saw my brother and I playing Ryoko no Ken (Art of Fighting) to test out our new OSSC. He had just came home and we didn't say anything to him but he glanced at it while on the way to his room and froze in his tracks to comment on how amazing it looked.

Next thing you know he was playing Ryoko No Ken 2, Samurai Spirits (Samurai Showdown), Shin Samurai Spirits (Samurai Showdown II), Garou Densetsu SPECIAL (Fatal Fury SPECIAL), Crossed Swords, and more. The only one he didn't like was Riding Hero. Even when he was done he pulled up a webcam and started talking to some dude in Spain about how awesome the Neo Geo was. :)

Anyway, this was the old DVI version of the OSSC with the audio upgrade board installed. It was running old firmware from 2016 I believe and I did not load any custom settings or timings. It was an old 1080p TV that could only accept 480p (Line 2X) from the OSSC (Sony KDL-52XBR2). It still looked so good and sharp that it really made his night. :)

Every AES should be paired with an OSSC. It's too bad they they stopped making the Neo Geo adapter for HD Retrovision cables. Thankfully I already have mine but this makes it more difficult for anyone who wants to experience it this way.

Interestingly Steve., The only time I used the head phone jack was when I made my first ever purchased with the AES. I never dawned on me why I never did so again. Got me curious to do so again since it is a nice feature to have on the console. I think i have to give it a try again sometime in the future.  ;-)

Anthony..

I used mine when diagnosing an AES with a bad voltage regulator. You could hear some strange noises that way a few seconds before a big pop that causes the system to power off. It comes back on 10-25 seconds later when the LM2576 voltage regulator cools off enough. Cooling and thermal paste made it *almost* go away but I could still trigger it by playing for hours or pressing down hard on it.

Another used for the headphone jack is as a stereo output since the AV Multi-out is mono-only. I use my Sega CD loop-back cable to connect stereo to my HD Retrovision stereo input and it works like a charm. :)
  • Like 1