IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

本日より「SNKオンラインショップゴールデンウィークキャンペーン」が開催! 2020/5/11までのキャンペーン期間中、雑貨やアパレル商品など対象のSNK関連商品を最大50%OFFの特価にてご提供♪ https://buff.ly/2Y977vC

#SNK #ゴールデンウィークキャンペーン
Translated from Japanese by
"SNK Online Shop Golden Week Campaign" will be held from today! Offer SNK related products such as sundries and apparel products at a special price of up to 50% OFF during the campaign period until May 11, 2020 ♪ https://t.co/4KjFvZtfUH #SNK#ゴールデンウィークキャンペーン

4:14 AM · Apr 27, 2020·

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

【イベント情報】 明日から4日間、探索救助の報酬アップインベントを開催します! 時間に合わせて探索に出すともっといっぱいの報酬がもらえるチャンス!(~5/2 08:59) #メタルスラッグインフィニティ
【event information】 We will hold a Search and Rescue Reward Up Event for four days starting tomorrow! Opportunity to get more rewards if you send it out in time! (~ 5/2 08:59) #メタルスラッグインフィニティ

5:00 AM · Apr 27, 2020·

Anthony..

Hi guys,

5/23(土)21:00〜 バルドさんのチャンネル( )で女性限定お祭り大会をします エントリーが10人以下ならシングル戦、10人以上なら紅白戦予定です エントリー締切は5/16(土)まで、参加者はイタドリに直接リプライください普段あまり大会に出ない方も実力関係なく遊びましょう →
5/23 (Sat) 21: 00 ~ Bardo's channel ( @bardothodol ) Will hold a women's limited festival competition If the number of entries is 10 or less, it will be a single game, if it is 10 or more, it will be a red and white game Entry deadline is May 16th (Sat), participants should reply directly to Itadori Let's play regardless of ability →

1:42 AM · Apr 25, 2020·

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【お知らせ】 本日4月28日(火)より、ゲーマーズなんば店にて『SNK 美少女祭り inGAMERS』がスタート!SNK関連商品や、イベント限定商品、先行販売商品を販売!購入特典のトートバッグもございます☆ #SNK #KOF #SNKヒロインズ #どき魔女 #サムスピ
【Notice】 From Tuesday, April 28th, "SNK Bishoujo Matsuri in GAMERS" will start at Gamers Namba store! We sell SNK related products, event limited products, pre-sale products! There is also a purchase privilege tote bag ☆ #SNK#KOF#SNKヒロインズ#どき魔女#サムスピ
11:16 PM · Apr 27, 2020·

Anthony..

Hi guys,

「SNK ARCADE SOUND DIGITAL COLLECTION Vol.15」が本日より予約開始! 第15弾には『NAM-1975』『マジシャンロード』『バーニングファイト』のBGMを収録♪ https://snk-onlineshop.com/item/4571442041365.html

#SNK
"SNK ARCADE SOUND DIGITAL COLLECTION Vol.15" is available for pre-order today! The 15th bullet includes BGM of "NAM-1975", "Magician Road", and "Burning Fight". ♪ https://t.co/mKk1WNe6Fb #SNK
6:15 AM · Apr 28, 2020

Anthony..

So I have opened my Neo Geo and removed all of the screws in the motherboard, but it won't let me actually remove it from the bottom part of the shell. Is there something that I'm missing here? Like I can lift up the motherboard and see underneath it and it looks like there is nothing holding it in place. so I have no idea why I can't just pull it out. Is it the headphone jack? Controller ports?

There is a bit of a pivot point around the headphone jack area. Not sure what's going on here, but I can't pull it out and I don't want to force it and break something.

Disregard. I got it out. It was that stupid little plastic piece by the 3 right next to the headphone jack and I didn't want to risk damaging anything.

There is no corrosion that I can see except for some crap on the solder that holds the thing you plug the power into but I will clean it to be safe.

I believe I have located the 3 traces. All I have to do is take a knife or something to them and cut them, right? Does the location of the cut matter?

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

So I have opened my Neo Geo and removed all of the screws in the motherboard, but it won't let me actually remove it from the bottom part of the shell. Is there something that I'm missing here? Like I can lift up the motherboard and see underneath it and it looks like there is nothing holding it in place. so I have no idea why I can't just pull it out. Is it the headphone jack? Controller ports?

There is a bit of a pivot point around the headphone jack area. Not sure what's going on here, but I can't pull it out and I don't want to force it and break something.

Disregard. I got it out. It was that stupid little plastic piece by the 3 right next to the headphone jack and I didn't want to risk damaging anything.

There is no corrosion that I can see except for some crap on the solder that holds the thing you plug the power into but I will clean it to be safe.

I believe I have located the 3 traces. All I have to do is take a knife or something to them and cut them, right? Does the location of the cut matter?

Supposedly you can cut them at either end but I think it's best to cut them as close to the edge of the board as possible. If you cut the other end they still run under the clock crystal osscilator which is what causes the jailbars in the first place.

With that in mind, I don't know how cutting the other end helps at all other than shortening the length (antennas tune for different frequencies/multiples by length).

Cutting both ends should work just as well. :)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Supposedly you can cut them at either end but I think it's best to cut them as close to the edge of the board as possible. If you cut the other end they still run under the clock crystal osscilator which is what causes the jailbars in the first place.

With that in mind, I don't know how cutting the other end helps at all other than shortening the length (antennas tune for different frequencies/multiples by length).

Cutting both ends should work just as well. :)

Okay. There is no chance at all of killing the Neo Geo, right?

• Like 2

Okay. There is no chance at all of killing the Neo Geo, right?

Not if you are cutting the right traces. :)

Since my video wasn't exactly quick-reference material, here is where I first read about it (with pics):

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html#aesvideolines

I don't think the link will take you straight to it due to the website's design. Click on Tutorials, Neo Geo, AES, find the one that says "RGB/Video : Jul 25 2009 : 3-6 Fix, Vertical Lines on My Screen, What do they Mean?" and click on "Guide Link"

It's frustrating to navigate so alternatively I copied the info you need here:

http://imgur.com/a/kGtVbuR

Hopefully JammaNationX is OK with that... I'm sure he doesn't want you cutting the wrong traces either and, well, I tried to link!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CZroe said:

since my video wasn't exactly quick-reference material, here is where I first read about it (with pics):
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html#aesvideolines

I don't think the link will take you straight to it due to the website's design. Click on Tutorials, Neo Geo, AES, find the one that says "RGB/Video : Jul 25 2009 : 3-6 Fix, Vertical Lines on My Screen, What do they Mean?" and click on "Guide Link"

It's frustrating to navigate so alternatively I copied the info you need here:
http://imgur.com/a/kGtVbuR

Hopefully JammaNationX is OK with that... I'm sure he doesn't want you cutting the wrong traces either and, well, I tried to link!

lol too slow! I already made the cuts. I did this exactly:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snk-neo-geo-aes-rgb-neo-aes3-6-vertical-lines/

I just plugged it in, so let's see what happens!

• Like 2

No change. I guess I didn't do it properly.
If you have a meter I would check to see if they are still connected. It can take some real digging with the knife to cut all the way through and even then the connections can short back together if you don't make sure to separate them. That's why my video shows me stabbing the traces and twisting the knife as I pushed the severed traces away from the pads they were originally connected to. I'm trying to make a gap and not just a cut.

21 minutes ago, CZroe said:
30 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:
No change. I guess I didn't do it properly.

If you have a meter I would check to see if they are still connected. It can take some real digging with the knife to cut all the way through and even then the connections can short back together if you don't make sure to separate them. That's why my video shows me stabbing the traces and twisting the knife as I pushed the severed traces away from the pads they were originally connected to. I'm trying to make a gap and not just a cut.

I have nothing. The only tools I have are a Leatherman and a 1945 US GI mess kit knife that somehow made it through customs and some screwdrivers.

Okay, no change again. Still seeing jailbars on white areas.

Okay, this is what I have now. This was very hard to photograph, but here it is. Much more noticeable in person than in this picture. Still, this is much better and I may just leave it like this for now and finish it later.

Pic_0429_304.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton

40 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Okay, it looks much better in game. Here it is on my PC monitor through the OSSC. I'll probably leave it like this for now and finish fixing it later. It's good enough, I think.

Say, that does look good Steve. I like it. :thumbsup:

Anthony..

6 minutes ago, fdurso224 said:

Say, that does look good Steve. I like it. :thumbsup:

Anthony..

Yeah, it looks a whole lot better now. This is closer to what I was expecting, not jailbar-fest. It still has those jailbars on that white screen, but I can let it be that way for now.

I didn't go in and clean it up properly yet since I just wanted to get the jailbars fixed. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. It does slide around now without the feet, but I'll just be careful with it.

You mentioned that you don't use the headphone jack. What cables are you using with your Neo Geo? I'm using the HD Retrovision Genesis 2 + Neo Geo converter, so I have an aux cable from the headphone jack to the Genesis cable to get stereo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, it looks a whole lot better now. This is closer to what I was expecting, not jailbar-fest. It still has those jailbars on that white screen, but I can let it be that way for now.

I didn't go in and clean it up properly yet since I just wanted to get the jailbars fixed. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. It does slide around now without the feet, but I'll just be careful with it.

You mentioned that you don't use the headphone jack. What cables are you using with your Neo Geo? I'm using the HD Retrovision Genesis 2 + Neo Geo converter, so I have an aux cable from the headphone jack to the Genesis cable to get stereo.

For my CRT unit. I use an A/V cable that includes the red insert that is made by a seller in the U.K. I try to have the hookups like a classic style of the 1990's and it looks just the way I wanted it Steve. Here what it looks like and the link provided from the seller I purchased it from. ;-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-NEO-GEO-AES-CD-CDZ-VIDEO-TV-AV-VIDEO-CABLE-PHONO-LEAD/390884162123?hash=item5b0282fa4b:g:U5cAAOxyNThTeK~8

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony...