IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Looking at the list, the Neo Geo mini Christmas edition has basically everything that I really want except Neo Turf Masters. I might get one next month when I get paid, provided they are still in stock. It's still at MSRP here, so it's quite expensive for what's basically an emulator box. I was interested in the Neo Geo X because of the more traditional shape and the clicky stick, but I've still not decided yet. We'll see! I am specifically looking for a good handheld to go with the AES, basically, so I'm thinking that the Switch is the best option available.

Gotta agree.  Neo Turf Masters is the best.  However, check out the Neo Geo Pocket version if/when you get a chance to.  It is pretty good as well.

5 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Are their any downsides to the International Version VS the USA version? 

I think the USA version is the international version. I guess it's basically Japan gets Japan version, the rest of the world gets the international version, and everyone gets Christmas.

• Like 1

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

I think the USA version is the international version. I guess it's basically Japan gets Japan version, the rest of the world gets the international version, and everyone gets Christmas.

Hmmm....there are a few separate listing for USA versions with different color schemes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-Mini-Pro-Player-Pack-Version/dp/B07L81PJKS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=NeoGeo+Mini+USA&qid=1588256399&s=videogames&sr=1-1

I just want to make sure the International version is fully NTSC compatible and has a good game selection (or same as/better than USA version)  

3 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Hmmm....there are a few separate listing for USA versions with different color schemes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-Mini-Pro-Player-Pack-Version/dp/B07L81PJKS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=NeoGeo+Mini+USA&qid=1588256399&s=videogames&sr=1-1

I just want to make sure the International version is fully NTSC compatible and has a good game selection (or same as/better than USA version)  

Oh, that one. It's just a cosmetic recolor. It's the same as the international one.

• Thanks 1

It seems Christmas uses the US ROMs, even in Japan. Disappointing. Might have to just get the international version from Amazon before it sells out and have them send it to my shipping company. I don't want to do that because I'd end up paying more for shipping the thing to Japan than on the thing itself, so I think I might go check the price of the Japanese version over on Amazon Japan.

~9000 yen on Amazon Japan. I'd end up paying about the same amount for the international version if I sent it to my shipping company and have them send it to me, and I'd get more Metal Slug and less fighting games. The Japanese version gives me Twinkle Star Sprites, though. Difficult choice.

...and Amazon Japan has international version for ~8000 yen. If Amazon USA was shipping to Japan right now (they aren't), then I'd get it from Amazon USA without hesitation. I guess I'll just wait and see what stock levels look like in a month when I get paid again. I've spent WAY too much cash on Neo Geo stuff in the past week!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

It seems Christmas uses the US ROMs, even in Japan. Disappointing. Might have to just get the international version from Amazon before it sells out and have them send it to my shipping company. I don't want to do that because I'd end up paying more for shipping the thing to Japan than on the thing itself, so I think I might go check the price of the Japanese version over on Amazon Japan.

~9000 yen on Amazon Japan. I'd end up paying about the same amount for the international version if I sent it to my shipping company and have them send it to me, and I'd get more Metal Slug and less fighting games. The Japanese version gives me Twinkle Star Sprites, though. Difficult choice.

...and Amazon Japan has international version for ~8000 yen. If Amazon USA was shipping to Japan right now (they aren't), then I'd get it from Amazon USA without hesitation. I guess I'll just wait and see what stock levels look like in a month when I get paid again. I've spent WAY too much cash on Neo Geo stuff in the past week!

Want me to pick one up for you? I'm happy to. Surely we can find some affordable shipping compared to that.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

For $30 this is a pretty good bargin imo.  I know it has its issues, but still it is very much worth picking up at this price.

I agree Hwling. It's the cheapest I've seen it and at that price, you can't go wrong seeing it's an official SNK product. ;-)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CZroe said:

Well, Neo Geo Mini International Edition dropped to $30 on Amazon yesterday:

NEOGEO Mini International https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1KN661/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_-tRQEb9VGCMMA

Went ahead and purchased a second one.

It seems they are clearing them out for some reason. Wonder how long before they do that with any other editions. Obviously can't happen for Christmas Edition since that was limited and any of those on Amazon are likely 3rd party sellers.

They also have gamepad bundles though they the controllers used to be much cheapwr: back when I bought mine (~$12; now around $20): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7DDV9M/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_tzRQEbT3MW90P

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9RSRQ9/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_jDRQEbKTVN760

Excellent that you did Emmett. If they can drop the price to $19.99, I would really take advantage of it. I feel that your right that they want to clear out their inventory as fast as they can. But at the current price, that is tempting for sure. 8^)

Anthony..

6 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

So the USA version with two controllers is $110

With two controllers seperately it is:

International Version with 2x White controllers: $69.97

International Version with 2x Black controllers: $77.21

Not bad i'd say, ~43% off the bundle listed! 

43% off the bundle listed is really good news. Nice prices as of late for these units for sure Rick. ;-)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Announcement! Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection will be released in European physical version on Nintendo Switch and PS4 by Pix'n Love! Big surprises are planned for this occasion! See you in a few weeks!

Anthony...
Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Are any other NGP or NGPC games available on Switch yet?

That's awesome news!
The new Samurai Shodown included one. I see people BEGGING SNK to sell it on the eShop so I presume it isn't available without the new game.

9 hours ago, CZroe said:
11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Want me to pick one up for you? I'm happy to. Surely we can find some affordable shipping compared to that.

Sure, thanks a lot man. I think it would be foolish to pass on this because of some crazy shipping stuff.

36 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Unfortunately, it seems to have sold out after hitting the SlickDeals front page:
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/559469

I'm checking to see if the controller bundle ones are still cheap/available...

Yep, it's gone. Oh well. I guess I'll get one from Amazon Japan in a month or so, but from what I'm hearing, it's probably not worth 8000 yen or more. Still, it would be nice to have a somewhat usable handheld Neo Geo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Are their any downsides to the International Version VS the USA version? 

I know you found a few things, got a few answers.

There's the International (which is the US) version and the Japanese one of the base system when it first arrived.  Intl=blue/white+gray cpo area & Japan=blue/white+rainbow buttons cpo area.  Then beyond that, they made a red one in Japan for Christmas with a different and slightly larger game list kind of blending those two.  Since then they've re-shipped the things with different colored shells based on Samurai Shodown/Spirits characters but the game lists are the same on those too.

The downsides are simple.  What games do you want that are not on both, each model has something exclusive.  Like if you get the Japanese NGM you don't get as many platform/run and gun stuff but you do get every single KOF release made so it's more of a fighters only box which I think is crap.  The Int'l version has every single Metal Slug on it and a few other adventures to mess with.  Yet despite that, the JP version I think had like Cyber Lip, then the US one got Magician Lord and so on.  It really was quite infuriating to me whcih is why I didn't buy it at $130, $100, and not until it was $50 shipped last black friday season.  There are like 7 games on each system that are my arcade favorites so I felt like I was being scammed into the need to buy both to get what I wanted so I wasn't going to pay $130x2 for that.  Currently I know there's a dedicated dude or him and a crew at it tryign to hack the thing to load whatever you want as the emulator core inside is fantastic...problem is, last I looked the current hack can on some PCB versions(for the joystick PCB) can literally fry it and screw up how the stick works if you're unlucky.  I'd have hacked mine otherwise if it was hakchi bulletproof just to middle finger SNK. :D  (Over that and well really Top Player's Golf??? bleh...)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

(Over that and well really Top Player's Golf??? bleh...)

lol why is this on here when Neo Turf Masters exists? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Anyway, yeah, it's frustrating because none of them have everything that I want, but all of them have something.

I don't play fighting games aside from my recently purchased KOF 98, which I actually really enjoy. That alone actually says something about how good that game is. Anyway, the whole exclusive games one some but not others thing is annoying. Christmas seems to have almost everything I want, but it's expensive and I know the Neo Geo mini in general has problems, so I am hesitant. More Metal Slug and less fighters = better, but I'd also prefer the Japanese versions of the games because of the no censorship thing as well, so I basically lose no matter what option I choose.

• Like 1