IGNORED

Gebelli compilation cart

Wrathchild

Hi!

Inspired by the recent flood on new conversions to the 5200, I set upon an ambitious task of making a 'multi-cart' compilation in just 32K!

Two games that I loved from the early times of owning an A8 were 'Embargo' and 'Match Racer' from Gebelli (most developed by the Solitaire Group). Therefore I picked 'Firebird' as a third title to put on the cartridge, as this was also fun to play, but with adding that and a front menu too into the code, things were getting quite tight in terms of space. BUT... I then employed the 'exomizer' compressor and managed to gain enough space to even add an extra bonus: 'Andromeda' (quite a strange game but it has since grown on me). SO... 4 titles in all!

All of the games have basic controls, using 'Start' and 'Option' keys on the originals (Match Racer using 'Select' too) so now:

Menu: * = step through titles

Andromeda: * = selects level of play (and changes the background colour)

Embargo: * = select level of play

Firebird: no special keys

Match Racer: * = select speed, # = number of players

They all support the use of the 'Pause' button too if you want to take a break!

One of the reasons for making this cartridge is; at the end of this month I am doing a tandem parachute jump (my first!) to help raise funds for the charity that supports our eldest daughter ( ME2 Club ). If you enjoy the conversions then do please donate any amount you can, details of how to can be found at this page.

Cheers go to Paul & phaeron (again!) for some debugging help on Firebird :)

Best wishes, thanks & Enjoy!

Mark

Gebelli5200.zip

post-1822-0-07363000-1396959360_thumb.png

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 2

Are you still working on Mr Do ?

Its on the cards... but I was first looking to see if Speed Ace's working RAM will fit in 16K :)

I'd done the first pass disassembly quite a while back but have done the final tweaks to give labels to the remaining absolute references (e.g. LDX/Y) and so should be able to assemble the A8 version back into its original form as the first test.

If people want Mr Do! first then I can put Speed Ace on hold ;)

Any feedback on how these are playing on actual h/w? (did that purple actually come out purple! :D)

I'm halfway to my fund-raising goal, so any more help to support this particular charity welcome. Thanks for the contributions so far. :)

Just to encourage you, "Mr Do!" is certainly a possibility with a >32K ROM, but with a bit of compression etc I think it may be possible to squeeze into 32K (which would be my 'ideal' ).

Current state of work: I can run a playable game on the Atari 8-bit using a code/data relocated build - but this is suffering from 2 noticeable issues at this point:

1) The first couple of apples drop OK but after this they won't, nor is this reset on subsequent levels.

2) When the 'Extra' character comes out, more often than not, him and the ghosts stay in the same space.

These could well be down to some copy-protection checks, as two have already been eliminated.

Mark

If possible please donate on the DoItForCharity page as it will go direct to the charity that way. However they only take Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Solo but not American Express or Diners Club, therefore if you'd like to go via my PayPal then I'll transfer it add the payment myself to the list in your name/alias.

Any feedback on how these are playing on actual h/w? (did that purple actually come out purple! :D)

I'm halfway to my fund-raising goal, so any more help to support this particular charity welcome. Thanks for the contributions so far. :)

Just to encourage you, "Mr Do!" is certainly a possibility with a >32K ROM, but with a bit of compression etc I think it may be possible to squeeze into 32K (which would be my 'ideal' ).

Current state of work: I can run a playable game on the Atari 8-bit using a code/data relocated build - but this is suffering from 2 noticeable issues at this point:

1) The first couple of apples drop OK but after this they won't, nor is this reset on subsequent levels.

2) When the 'Extra' character comes out, more often than not, him and the ghosts stay in the same space.

These could well be down to some copy-protection checks, as two have already been eliminated.

Mark

Mr Do! splash screen for an optional second / bigger version

5m45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Two bits of news...

Firstly, after the British weather putting paid to 3 previous attempts, I was able to get the Tandem parachute jump done on 20th July and an amazing experience it was! Many thanks to those who donated, in total the 10 volunteers & family members raised £6,755!

Secondly, I've (at last!) had a break-though in coming back to getting my relocated code version for the A8 working this evening. There was a last bit of code protection, code that temporarily relocated a code checking routine, called it and then scrubbed it. Due to the relocations this was trashing some other memory and hence having the knock-on effect in the bugs being seen.

So, the game code and read-only data takes the entire 32K and so a bigger cart size will required to get the additional (writeable) data area relocated into RAM when the game is initialised but that should be quite straight-forward to port across to the 5200 now. So only the time to do that and a good degree of beta-testing stand in the way of this becoming a reality finally!

Regards,

Mark

post-1822-0-80600100-1409090968_thumb.jpg