IGNORED

What happened to Neo Geo X?

I remember there was a little hubbub when this was announced and subsequently released, but after the first Mega Pack (or whatever it was called) released last February, it seems like anything related to Neo Geo X kind of... died off.

I heard that Tommo was having some legal disputes with SNK Playmore; did those ever get resolved? Or is the Neo Geo X, for all intents and purposes, dead and likely to remain that way forever?

Seems like a golden opportunity that unfortunately fell flat. What happened?

Seems like a golden opportunity that unfortunately fell flat. What happened?

Seriously? It sucked is what happened. :P

Neo Geo fans have deep enough pockets for such a device for sure, but they also all have Neo Geo hardware and pretty damn high standards. I wonder who they thought was going to be interested in the device. Some of the other NGX drama included its stolen emulator, screen with the wrong aspect ratio, and substandard controller.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Seriously? It sucked is what happened. :P

Ah, that's too bad. I didn't really research into it much when it came out, but from what I garnered it looked pretty neat. What made it so horrible?

EDIT: Ah, saw your edit. Yep, that sucks. I have always been in awe of those who can afford large Neo Geo collections. My love for Metal Slug prompted me to check out prices a few years ago... never going to happen.

Edited by Bixler
  • Like 1

It was great on pen & paper at first. But its a poorly made product that your better off getting a PSP to emulate all of the SNK library.

The up-to-date hardware download was also terrible because of the problems with its units! If you had the 370 versions of the NGX, you didn't have problems downloading the new data to play the new games. But if you had the 337 versions, many couldn't download anything because the process was stuck in the loading screen!

Even though I have it for my collection, I wouldn't really recommend it. Seeing that you have better options to play Neo-Geo games on better and more reliable hardware.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

Ah, that's too bad. I didn't really research into it much when it came out, but from what I garnered it looked pretty neat. What made it so horrible?

EDIT: Ah, saw your edit. Yep, that sucks.

You could always catch up on the last few pages HERE:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201429-neo-geo-x-gold-system-to-release-in-december-for-199/?hl=neo%20geo

In short, not the best emulation using a stolen / unlicensed emulator, paying for ROMS (essentially what you were doing), just another case of a company licensing a brand and doing a half assed job and creating a handheld around it followed by abandoning customer support. Just run an emulator on any given handheld, outside of the "licensed" brand name you will likely have a better experience.

http://youtu.be/4iHoOK5HCHA

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

I've actually been googling around, and it seems that they left other emulators on it too along with, of all things, a playstation bios file. A real batch of pros put that thing together...

They could well be rotting in the Sony dungeon right now, minus a couple fingers and functional kneecaps.

After what they did to geohot for not breaking the law, I can't imagine what Sony'd pull when they could be considered morally justified.

Edited by Reaperman

I also have to add that the majority of the blame was on Tommo. The moment it is released, many of the units were glitching out and customer support was at little, to non-existed with them.

Trying to get in contact with the company was impossible and receiving a simple response from their e-mail would take a week. At the same time, calling them over the phone was just as worst because the lines were always busy!

Just a total disappointment! :(

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

There were some other issues as well. It seemed as if Tommo had no idea what they were doing in the modern gaming world.

- they advised people to NOT use HDMI

- HDMI output was crippled

- you had to buy a game pack to get updates that fixed the problem

- the joystick was supposed to be made to SNK specs but wasn't

I suspect SNK would have let a lot slide by if it weren't tarnishing their name. Hopefully Tommo will go bankrupt.

• Like 2

I contacted Tommo back before it came out because I was looking to carry this item. The MSRP was $199.99. Their wholesale price was a joke, basically selling it at MSRP would gross only about a 10% profit on the item. Anyone who knows retail knows that 10% gross is laughable. Not only that they would accept bank transfer only. So not only would I would be out that cash up front, but I was responsible for the fees. The cherry on top was that after learning this I asked when the game packs would be coming out and how much would wholesale be. Hoping to find out profits on the games would be really high to make-up for the low profit on the system. They never replied back with any information after e-mailing them a couple times. I almost have the feeling Tommo purposely set it up to fail because I don't think they really ever wanted to carry it in the first place, they were just kind of forced too because they hold North American SNK distribution rights.

• Like 3