IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I'm still interested in the Coleco version. Bill, if the hardware is finalized, is there any chance when you'll be able to "leak" the Dollar General bonus game on the Coleco flashback? Also, I originally preordered then canceled Toys-R-Us preorders for both consoles. I'm concerned as to what the MSRP will be for these things, $40 or $60? If I can preorder the flashbacks now at Toys-R-Us for $40, I'd rather do that than get stuck paying a 50% premium at retail (TRU or DG) later on in the event of a price hike.

See also: Retron5 ($99 preorder price got raised to $140 retail).

Well, I have been authorized to mention "highlights" and I guess in light of the other news, the bonus game would be considered a highlight. It's Antarctic Adventure (in deference to AtGames, I won't be revealing any more names or confirming any other games now until they release the whole list). Now you can all make informed decisions about which version you want to get: standard 60 games, 61 games, or 60 games with extra overlays.

I believe list price is always $60 for these. Retailers can sell it for whatever they want. $40 seems like a good deal from Toys R Us. Based on previous Flashbacks, depending on timing and sales, you might see prices from $30 - $60 out in the wild. There's no way of knowing since that's a retailer decision.

• Like 2

I just cancelled my Toys R Us Intellivision order. System controllers not being compatible with original hardware being the reason.

At first it said it was too late, and it would be shipped.

Then chat with online agent, said to call the 800 number.

The 800 number said to go to the website, of course!

Then the web page said Cancellation Pending, AFTER saying it was too late to cancel this order!

When I finally spoke to someone after calling twice, they said that my order had been cancelled.

(I only placed it a month ago, and the product is not available for another entire month!)

BTW. Colecovision Antarctic Adventure. Good choice! Looks impressive. Gameplay, not so impressive.

will atgames be at cgexpo in vegas this year?

I don't think so. Intellivision Productions will be there though showing off the Intellivision Flashback (and having playable units). I wish I could make it this year since I would like to hang out there, plus my film is being shown at the show. I'll be otherwise occupied though as my wife is due to have our third child around that time and I can't risk being away.

• Like 2

I was one who liked Antarctic Adventure a lot (more back then, than now). It was a cute Konami game and pretty tough to make it completely around the island. It was pattern based almost like Night Driver. The fish gave you "fuel" or more time if I remember. Timing was important in your jumps. Probably make a good tablet game today. :P

As much as I was 'disappointed' by the news, I'm still influenced to play a lot of CV lately so I fired up some real games today to play:

coleco.JPG

• Like 4

What is it with you guys and spare consoles? I'm lucky to get one. Current Colecovision count: zero. That's why I want the flashback so bad. It's self-contained so there's no money pit to collect carts and accessories for. I have too many consoles as is.

I only have three. A completely tricked out and them some YurkieVision, an all original CIB system and the last one is a very, very special CIB system! :grin: Should I also be counting my three ADAM systems?

I believe list price is always $60 for these. Retailers can sell it for whatever they want. $40 seems like a good deal from Toys R Us. Based on previous Flashbacks, depending on timing and sales, you might see prices from $30 - $60 out in the wild. There's no way of knowing since that's a retailer decision.

Will the three versions of the CVF have box variations or possibly just the addition of a sticker that will highlight the additional item(s) in the D.G. and Sams variations?

I only have three. A completely tricked out and them some YurkieVision, an all original CIB system and the last one is a very, very special CIB system! :grin: Should I also be counting my three ADAM systems?

3??? For shame Jim! :) How do I have more than you? Now it we were talking Inty's, well then, but of course..... :)

As an aside, Bill you deserve some sort of medal of honour for answering our endless questions on the CV and Inty versions of the Flashback. I'll be getting both and while I'm disappointed about the Inty controllers, admittedly I have a few extra systems so I'll survive. :)

• Like 5

3??? For shame Jim! :) How do I have more than you? Now it we were talking Inty's, well then, but of course..... :)

I don't like to hoard systems and my thinking on this is that the more I have, the less that are available for others to acquire, enjoy and grow the community. Plus, as long as Yurkie is around, there will always be a way to acquire a great system if needed in a pinch.

This also holds true for all my other collecting of CV & ADAM items, I only keep one of each item unless there is a variation. Any extras I make sure to put back in the system so that others can enjoy them or add to their collection. I hope that one day this doesn't come back to bite me in the arsh!

BTW, I second the kudos to Bill L. for dealing with all our questions and at times "harsh" comments. In my case, I just want to see the CVF be the best possible product it can be when released and wish AtGames would just stick with one version with all the games and extra ovelays to simplify matters for the consumer and us hardcore fans... even if it means a little extra on the retail price tag. Having the controllers compatible with the original system and vice versa would be, or would have been, the icing on the cake.

• Like 2

I just cancelled my Toys-R-Us pre-order for CV units and INTV units. I was buying more than 1 of each as I like to have 1 to play, 1 as a spare, and 1 to collect. Now this feels expensive for the final product whereas it did not when the controllers were standard and the overlay sets were complete. Bad judgement call for AtGames in my opinion as those who don't care about such things are also less likely to want to purchase one of these at all. Sales will be greatly reduced by this decision and returns will be higher.

I just cancelled my Toys-R-Us pre-order for CV units and INTV units. I was buying more than 1 of each as I like to have 1 to play, 1 as a spare, and 1 to collect. Now this feels expensive for the final product whereas it did not when the controllers were standard and the overlay sets were complete. Bad judgement call for AtGames in my opinion as those who don't care about such things are also less likely to want to purchase one of these at all. Sales will be greatly reduced by this decision and returns will be higher.

Again, though, remember who these units are targeted at -- not at 'you' but more like guys like 'me' -- I'm a gamer and more of a modern gamer at that, and I don't have a original Colecovision or any of the games. I just want a system with the original controlers and some of my fav games that I can hook up to my modern TV and play now and then for my nostalgia blast. That's the casual market AtGames is selling these for, and that's where they will do well. The casual market doesn't care about compatibility of the controlers with original units or getting a overlay for each game and all that. It's disappointing, I'm sure, but like Pixelboy said earlier, it's a fine line for AtGames to walk.

That said, I'll be getting one at Sams Club instead for the extra overlays.

Again, though, remember who these units are targeted at -- not at 'you' but more like guys like 'me' -- I'm a gamer and more of a modern gamer at that, and I don't have a original Colecovision or any of the games. I just want a system with the original controlers and some of my fav games that I can hook up to my modern TV and play now and then for my nostalgia blast. That's the casual market AtGames is selling these for, and that's where they will do well. The casual market doesn't care about compatibility of the controlers with original units or getting a overlay for each game and all that. It's disappointing, I'm sure, but like Pixelboy said earlier, it's a fine line for AtGames to walk.

That said, I'll be getting one at Sams Club instead for the extra overlays.

Understood, and I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying these. However I am trying to get Bill to let AtGames know that they will be losing many sales because of the two decisions regarding the controllers and the overlays. They are already producing a standard set, a Dollar General set, and a Sam's Club set. It just seems that one of the sets would be a complete set.

Troy

• Like 1

Assuming they removed the requirement for the controllers to work with the original systems, it is likely much easier to build a controller with a VCC signal, common ground plane, and a cheap micro-controller embedded inside it to multiplex all the input signals then send them down one wire, instead of having the console firing back bizarre signal combinations so that it can decode a rats nest of passive components like the original consoles did. Such a control scheme would have more in common with an NES or SNES controller mapping, or possibly even a low speed USB interface, compared to vintage controls.

After all, the ATgames Flashbacks are using either ARM or some other micro-CPU architecture to run an emulator. It would be far easier to program the ARM to receive a multiplexed signal than decode some convoluted mixed hybrid I/O signals like the original consoles did back in the early 80s when multiplexer logic would have been cost prohibitive compared to passive components. A multiplexed control scheme would also have the benefit of for instance using the Intellivision circle pad and fire buttons concurrently, which based on comments I've read was not possible or caused glitching on vintage hardware with the stock controller.

• Like 1

I don't like to hoard systems and my thinking on this is that the more I have, the less that are available for others to acquire, enjoy and grow the community. Plus, as long as Yurkie is around, there will always be a way to acquire a great system if needed in a pinch.

This also holds true for all my other collecting of CV & ADAM items, I only keep one of each item unless there is a variation. Any extras I make sure to put back in the system so that others can enjoy them or add to their collection. I hope that one day this doesn't come back to bite me in the arsh!

I prefer the term "Supercollector" versus hoarder. :)

That said I "overcollect" for the same reason as you, so that I can share the extras with others. (variations notwithstanding) Now if I just had more time to do so....

• Like 4

I prefer the term "Supercollector" versus hoarder. :)

That said I "overcollect" for the same reason as you, so that I can share the extras with others. (variations notwithstanding) Now if I just had more time to do so....

Same here

Awhile ago, I was recycling CV carts to make homebrew releases (not needed anymore)

So I was buying bulk CV lots , mostly in Canada , So I ended up having more than 15 CV systems

I've sold a perfect working system to a member here for $25, I also gave a motherboard to a fellow programmer as well

I'm not a hoarder, but I still prefer to have 15 systems to sell at cheap price to fans, than having re-seller selling them for more than $100

On another note,....

Next year, I'm going to have a Colecovision system shell mold

I will be able to produce different color shells, Yeah, I want a transparent CV system! :twisted:

• Like 4

I'm not a hoarder either, simply have two machines where one was given to me from a friend. I had a third which I gave to a relative. They are always put to good use. :thumbsup:

Also I think it's important to let them know what we think even if its negative. We should tell them what we expect even if we are "small". Keeping quiet serves no purpose, hopefully they want feedback. I certainly do when I make some drawings or paint a custom console. This is a legitimate gripe (since they made compatible controllers on the Atari flashbacks) and I don't think anyone's really said here that they are not supporting them all together.

Its fine and I think everyone's still looking forward to this. I got over it quick obviously. :P

• Like 1