IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I was previewing a re-design of that handheld. It was a bit larger (more comfortable) and emulated the games in a different manner, allowing for all kinds of neat tricks (and one awesome "secret" feature likely to remain undocumented, but hopefully still left in). I found the whole experience a dramatic improvement over the already highly enjoyable version you referenced above. I don't know if that's what AtGames ultimately went with for the final product (it could just be a minor update of what you referenced, but I doubt it), but if so, I think we'll all be very happy with the end result. Hopefully I'll know for sure in late August what the retail version ends up being.

Wonderful news, it sounds like an upgrade all around. I assume it will be priced between $40 and $60 like the ones that came before. I'll definitely grab one no matter what. The Nvidia Shield is my favorite Genesis emulator right now, but it's not exactly pocketable.

Hmmm, secret feature? Apart from the unreasonable (sneaking SNES roms on there, AirPlay to AppleTV, or wifi multiplayer over internet), 32X compatibility would be my #1 want. Rewind state would be neat if they could pull it off. Saved games would be best, but saved states are almost as good, especially if they're compatible with other emulators.

For those interested, I can tell you that all game lists for the 2014 products have been finalized as you'd expect at this late date. While again, I won't get into specifics until AtGames is ready to release the lists themselves, I can answer any general questions/cover highlights. Here are the final game counts: Atari Flashback 5 (2014) - 92 games, ColecoVision Flashback - 60/61 games, Intellivision Flashback - 60/61 games, Sega Genesis Classic Game Console (2014) - 80 games, Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player (2014) - 80 games
There is also lots of good stuff being planned for 2015, so I hope these end up doing well with the target audiences.

Bill, do you know yet if there are compatability issues with real hardware for the Coleco controllers like there was with the Intellivision (which confirmed they would not work on real hardware)?

Another secret feature that would be nice in this age of cheap SD cards -- Sega CD support! Wouldn't that be spiffy?

The secret feature is not related to Sega. I'll leave it at that for now. Obviously, if it's in there in the retail version, I'll reveal it.

• Like 1

Had a breakthrough today! Have been in touch with the current license holder for Coleco (River West Brands) and have been offered a ColecoVision Flashback for CGE :) plus an interview with them for The ColecoVisons Podcast!

I am sooooo Stoked about this :)

Great news - will be great to actually hear River West Brands talking about the Coleco brand and the Flashback system. I'm guessing you'll be asking this question anyway, but please do ask them if they are willing to share any future plans they have for the Coleco name.

• Like 3

Great news - will be great to actually hear River West Brands talking about the Coleco brand and the Flashback system. I'm guessing you'll be asking this question anyway, but please do ask them if they are willing to share any future plans they have for the Coleco name.

Most definately will be asking that question! If anyone else has questions they would like for me to ask, send me a PM :)

Had a breakthrough today! Have been in touch with the current license holder for Coleco (River West Brands) and have been offered a ColecoVision Flashback for CGE :) plus an interview with them for The ColecoVisons Podcast!

I am sooooo Stoked about this :)

Great news! Cant wait for the podcast!

• Like 1

The Colecovision list is great, lots of unique titles we haven't seen rehashed all over the place. I would be over the moon if I found a Colecovision at a yard sale with a shoebox of those sixty games for just forty dollars.

The Sega, Atari, and Intellivision lists are lovely too, but they're loaded with the "usual suspects" we have seen repackaged in many other products. The Colecovision list is fresh and new (insofar as stuff from 1982 can be). That said, I'm buying them all, including both Sega machines. The portable will likely get the most use, but....wow, Colecovision.

Now how about the mobile apps?

The Colecovision list is great, lots of unique titles we haven't seen rehashed all over the place. I would be over the moon if I found a Colecovision at a yard sale with a shoebox of those sixty games for just forty dollars.

The Sega, Atari, and Intellivision lists are lovely too, but they're loaded with the "usual suspects" we have seen repackaged in many other products. The Colecovision list is fresh and new (insofar as stuff from 1982 can be). That said, I'm buying them all, including both Sega machines. The portable will likely get the most use, but....wow, Colecovision.

Now how about the mobile apps?

I agree that the ColecoVision list is strong and surprising considering the challenges we're all aware of with its library.

AtGames is planning some cool digital and PC-based stuff, but I don't know if anything will come out before next year, though.

Here are the official game lists for all of the 2014 AtGames hardware products: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/taxonomy/term/3892

Without being familiar with all the games, the master games list is phenominal! So glad the Coleco version isn't loaded with 50% sports titles like the Intellivision. This will definitely be an insta-buy for my collection. I'm so getting the Dollar General version with 61 games... :D

While there's stuff there that I'd of liked to have seen, I like it.

I wonder why though that only the Colecovision version is getting Bump 'n' Jump? Mattel handled the 2600 and Intellivision ports and AtGames obviously has a relationship there with the current owner of Mattel's game line (Intellivision Productions) as evidenced by both the Atari and Intellivision products.

I would think getting the necessary licensing from G-Mode to put the River West Brands owned Colecovision port onto here would've opened that one up to easily include the Mattel versions on the other two.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

There are a bunch of cases like that here, and I suspect the answer is, "it's complicated." Joints that I thought had said "no" before like Imagic and Interphase. I never would have expected War Room, which is by Probe 2000, also known as North American Philips, the company that gave us the Magnavox Odyssey 2. I'm psyched to see the Exidy games coming, as I always liked them.

One thing I've learned from the hours-long Intellivisionaries podcast is how small and incestuous the 1980s game business was. Many designers worked at several different companies and had hands in a great many different games and design teams.

Just two short months until we get these awesome toys into our hands. What a great time for retro gaming!