IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I wonder how many in the BB and B shipment had the ROM in the systems like I got

HatNJ, as evg2000 suggested, get into your CV FB's debug/test mode by turning it on while holding down both side buttons. At the top of the screen, it should say "Titan" something something and then the compile date. What's that date on yours?

From what I've heard, the standard CV FB has a June 24th compile date, while the Dollar General edition (with the 61st game, Antarctic Adventure) is dated June 14th (yes, surprisingly, 10 days earlier). I wonder when your Bed Bath & Beyond batch was done.

I literally drove 1600 miles for the sole purpose of picking up an Atari X/O Football cabinet. I drove 800 miles, Spent 45 minutes loading it and then drove the 800 back home only stopping for gas, drinks and the crapper!

Sounds like a fish tale to me! :) 800 miles means at least 10 straight hours if you're speeding the whole way. Driving way above the speed limit for 20 hours with no sleep? If that really happened, please point us to the news coverage detailing the death toll! :D "Driver 'Hypo Boy' Overdoses, Leaves 800-Mile Wake of Carnage...Twice!"

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Any color bars at startup?

Yes. I can't believe people complain so much about a color bar screen that literally lasts only 5 seconds. I think the initiation sequence has a nice kind of retro throwback to the color bar displays typical of TV stations back in the day that went off air at night.

I used to get up with my dad in the mornings before he went to work and turn on KTBS 3 early in the morning to watch the "snow" transform into a bar code screen followed by some Air Force Footage accompanying the Star Spangled Banner. Then my dad would watch the 5am news prior to departing for work, after which I would crawl back into bed for a half hour until my mom got me up for school.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Mine failed for a brief time Yesterday when I turned it on, it only showed a white screen and a turquoise message off-center "select game".

Mine crashed during a game of Pepper II yesterday, resulting in an off-center (shifted to lower right) screen. (argh) The way my TV handles lost signal made it hard to tell whether more than one reset was actually required to get a clean reboot, but I was playing Pepper II again after that.

"From" is a long story, but I'm currently in steamy Hilo hoping my Flashback isn't one of the many things that eventually gets destroyed by the humidity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilo,_Hawaii

Sweet, dude! Enjoy the surf! Louisiana tends to get humid too. Don't store stuff in a weather exposed storage shed or it will dry rot. Things stored indoors in climate controlled homes should be fine IMO. Unless you never run the AC... :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilo,_Hawaii

Sweet, dude! Enjoy the surf! Louisiana tends to get humid too. Don't store stuff in a weather exposed storage shed or it will dry rot. Things stored indoors in climate controlled homes should be fine IMO. Unless you never run the AC... :P

Only the wealthy have AC in Hawaii. We have those louvred windows that don't close all the way. Average humidity in the house is around 80%, and above 90% for long periods in the rainy months. Fungus everywhere...on things you didn't know could grow fungus.

Edited by bkrownd
  • Like 1

Wha... oh come on. I'm from Guam and AC is standard across the board. We even shove em on our storage containers. :P

But yeah now come to think of it it did seem a little different in Hawaii..

Different climate - I've heard Guam is a sauna. It seldom gets over 90 outside mid-day here.

Only the wealthy have AC in Hawaii. We have those louvred windows that don't close all the way. Average humidity in the house is around 80%, and above 90% for long periods in the rainy months. Fungus everywhere...on things you didn't know could grow fungus.

Gross, dude! If you can smell the mold, or see it, it's already well above the recommended EPA limits. :woozy: :woozy: :woozy:

My mom's allergic to mold and it wreaks havoc on my sinuses. The laundry room backed up in my fiance's apartment last week and got her carpet wet. We spent one night in her house before we decided to camp at my mom's. I actually got sick briefly Thursday afternoon from sinus drainage and had a massive headache from the pressure. Took 100mg of Benedril and too some Naproxen and went to bed early to sleep it off. I think that one night I spent with the moldy air was the culprit. The situation has since been fixed but the air in her apartment was unbreathable for a few days.

This could be a stupid question... anyway, what crc checksum do you get when you go into diagnostics (press both buttons while turning system on) for the Dollar General version (with Antarctic Adventure)? Thanks!!

If someone has a spare couple of minutes, please have a look.

Thanks!

Different climate - I've heard Guam is a sauna. It seldom gets over 90 outside mid-day here.

Same actually. Guam temperature year round is mid to high 80s... but yeah definitely a sauna. It's the humidity that's the primary difference. Raised in Guam but Hawaii is like my second home (amongst many) :)

That said.. getting back to the Flashback.. My concern isn't the bars (who cares), it's the controllers. Notes from before are they're not exactly built to last. :( I dunno.. I guess I'll pickup the CV one, but it's disappointing you can't use them as substitutes on an actual Colecovision also for no special reason.

Has anyone experimented with modifying an Atari compatible joystick to keep plugged in the 2nd controller port? Or does that old trick not even apply to the Flashback, which allowed you to start many games with the keypad in one controller port, then switch over for the actual game?

I know that the differences between this and the original controllers are great, but I presume that much of the difficulty in adapting one for use on the other is keypad related.

Edited by Atariboy

Mine crashed during a game of Pepper II yesterday, resulting in an off-center (shifted to lower right) screen. (argh) The way my TV handles lost signal made it hard to tell whether more than one reset was actually required to get a clean reboot, but I was playing Pepper II again after that.

Happened again during Frenzy. Game crashed, screen shifted towards bottom right and wrapped to opposite edges. I had to change video input connections before it would display, and then I had a bunch more trouble getting it going. Unfortunately I don't have a CRT to figure out if it's due to interaction with this LCD TV. The first CRT I tested it on I didn't encounter this.

Edited by bkrownd

From what I've heard, the standard CV FB has a June 24th compile date, while the Dollar General edition (with the 61st game, Antarctic Adventure) is dated June 14th (yes, surprisingly, 10 days earlier).

The person who told me the ROM compile date on his DG CV FB reports that he misread the date; it's actually June 24th, the same date as that for the standard CV FB ROM.

This could be a stupid question... anyway, what crc checksum do you get when you go into diagnostics (press both buttons while turning system on) for the Dollar General version (with Antarctic Adventure)? Thanks!!

My source for the ROM compile date says that his DG CV FB's CRC checksum is 08685165. Or at least something that, you know, looks like 08685165. ;)

onmode-ky

P.S. If anyone's curious, the CRC checksum for the standard CV FB was posted in a picture earlier in this thread, 08454213.

• Like 1

Wow! My Sam's Club sure is sucky!!! According to my friend who is a manager at a Sam's Club in Ohio, the Citrus Heights, Calif. Sam's Club (about 1 mile from me) has had all the Flashbacks in-store since Nov. 3. As of yesterday, they had not put them out on the floor. I finally went to another Sam's Club about nine miles away and they had Flashbacks galore! Atari, CV, Genesis, Intellevision. I'm still undecided if I'll get one or not.

The person who told me the ROM compile date on his DG CV FB reports that he misread the date; it's actually June 24th, the same date as that for the standard CV FB ROM.

My source for the ROM compile date says that his DG CV FB's CRC checksum is 08685165. Or at least something that, you know, looks like 08685165. ;)

onmode-ky

P.S. If anyone's curious, the CRC checksum for the standard CV FB was posted in a picture earlier in this thread, 08454213.

Thank you!

Has anyone experimented with modifying an Atari compatible joystick to keep plugged in the 2nd controller port? Or does that old trick not even apply to the Flashback, which allowed you to start many games with the keypad in one controller port, then switch over for the actual game?

I know that the differences between this and the original controllers are great, but I presume that much of the difficulty in adapting one for use on the other is keypad related.

You can't. The ColecoVision Flashback has its own wiring setup, so, without some type of adapter, you can only use the ColecoVision Flashback controllers. I agree that they stink and I'm going to do everything I can to get AtGames to change them for future console revisions. I hope that worst case is that they change the pinouts so that even if they keep this controller design, we can plug in real ColecoVision/Atari controllers into the thing like we can on the original console.

• Like 5

You can't. The ColecoVision Flashback has its own wiring setup, so, without some type of adapter, you can only use the ColecoVision Flashback controllers. I agree that they stink and I'm going to do everything I can to get AtGames to change them for future console revisions. I hope that worst case is that they change the pinouts so that even if they keep this controller design, we can plug in real ColecoVision/Atari controllers into the thing like we can on the original console.

So tempted to just build an adapter to hook up a SNES or NES gamepad. The number pad will be an issue for starting each game; possibly piggyback the wire connections into one of the AT Games controllers.