IGNORED

New NES console announced by Analogue Interactive

personally, I think it looks boring and cheap. the solid aluminium effect looks blah to me. maybe it looks better IRL? either way, my NES and SNES still work fine and can be had for far less than the cost of a PS4.

Far too pricey for me. the add-ons are also ridiculously priced IMO

• Like 2

Pffffffft... $500? Screw that...

Oh, hey, it's $50 more to order a different color! :rolling:

You know, I can understand the high cost for the Neo-Geo units they do, considering it's already an expensive system to begin with. A NES though? That's just insane.

• Like 2

I think there are enough NES clones, not to mention it's very easy to get your hands on the original NES or even the top loader NES. Why don't we see people trying to make clones of systems that are harder to find in working condition these days like Jaguar CD, Virtual Boy, Intellivision, not to mention the less common Atari consoles. Even if you set aside the fact that NES is very easy to emulate and play in any browser or on any homebrewed console or smartphone... I think we've got NES covered.

• Like 1

I've got to say, the RGB and HDMI aspects of this are actually pretty damn impressive.

I can't help but think that a good chunk of the unit's price goes to the HDMI upscaling with scanlines, but I've already got expensive (and probably better) hardware for that.

For me, it's also one thing to spend reasonably big money on 'the ultimate version of the ultimate system'--speaking of a well built consolized mvs, the vintage ferrari race car of retrogaming, if you will. It's quite another to spend that money on 'the ultimate version of a crap walmart system that everybody freaking has'--or the 900hp honda civic of retrogaming...

Still, doing an NES will probably have broader appeal in the 'rich weirdo' segment of the world. Those who might not necessarily be 'into' old games so much but might want an upscale way to relive some childhood memories.

I think that what I need is to just buy an RGB board for my toaster.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I think there are enough NES clones, not to mention it's very easy to get your hands on the original NES or even the top loader NES. Why don't we see people trying to make clones of systems that are harder to find in working condition these days like Jaguar CD, Virtual Boy, Intellivision, not to mention the less common Atari consoles. Even if you set aside the fact that NES is very easy to emulate and play in any browser or on any homebrewed console or smartphone... I think we've got NES covered.

I wonder if a company will ever do what Analogue Interactive is doing for CMVS and NES, but for the Atari consoles like the 2600/5200/7800.

Considering how demand for NES stuff has grown over the last couple of years, I'm sure there are lots of NES fans around the world who don't mind paying $500 for what looks like uncompromising quality.

For me, however, I'm happy with my "a few bucks" flea market finds...

clean 'em up and plug 'em in, toss or fix the ones that don't work, and...

Voila, a lifetime of fun.

Now, I might be tempted with a new big screen console version of the Game Gear, because most of mine have faded to crap.

I've got to say, the RGB and HDMI aspects of this are actually pretty damn impressive.

I can't help but think that a good chunk of the unit's price goes to the HDMI upscaling with scanlines, but I've already got expensive (and probably better) hardware for that.

For individuals that care that much about picture quality, why wouldn't they just invest in something like this (that also works with more than one platform, and does everything you described above)? I just don't understand what kind of market this thing is trying to cater to.

• Like 3

Indeed, I don't get why anyone would spend that when that investment would get you a top quality upscaler and well on your way to preparing your consoles to take maximum advantage of it.

Just for the record though, you'd still have to modify your NES console of course for RGB (Which I'm sure you're aware of). For the uninitiated, quality upscaling merely helps preserves quality, it can't create detail that isn't already there.

So just plugging the stock composite out into the nicest upscaler in the world isn't going to rival this without first modding it for RGB.

I can't help but think that a good chunk of the unit's price goes to the HDMI upscaling with scanlines

Do the scanlines even look believable? That's one area the XRGB Mini sucks at. All it does is ruin the picture with the fake scanlines that do anything but create the illusion of playing on a CRT.

First half is without them and the second half has them enabled.

Edited by Atariboy

Do the scanlines even look believable? That's one area the XRGB Mini sucks at. All it does is ruin the picture with the fake scanlines that do anything but create the illusion of playing on a CRT.

First half is without them and the second half has them enabled.

I agree for that video, but they do look considerably nicer with the unit set to 720p. It's a real shame that for the price that unit isn't a lot closer to perfect.

I bought one in preparation of an upgrade for my current 720p system, but all it really did was convince me to stick with it for a few more years.

As far as I know they're just taking a real NES, hacking it, and putting it into an over-engineered case. It's an interesting idea, but I agree way too pricey, particularly when something like a RetroN 5 (yes, I know, "when" it's released) could, in theory (assuming the NES emulation is spot-on), offer more for about 1/5th the price.

I'm trying to think what would be an acceptable price for a NES like this. $250? $300? I can't imagine more than $300. It's also been pointed out that this doesn't even include controllers, so, while the console is beautifully engineered, there's nothing to match it up with in terms of controllers. If they included modified/reingineered NES Advantage joysticks with a matching case, then I might see $500 as a combination display piece and functional unit.

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't have an issue spending money on items for my retro game collection, this is so outrageously overpriced that I'm not going anywhere near it.

I'm not even sure who this is aimed at. Even the biggest Nintendo fans on other forums are staying away. Is it supposed to be for those in the Neo Geo community who regularly over pay for stuff, for little more than bragging rights?

This nes console has many good points

- region free

- no lock game

- support sdtv and hdtv

The price is very high for a retro console.

They should sell it $50 less the price of the cheapest console today.

Edited by Serguei2

If you are charging more than a modern console, you're doing it wrong. That just seems like a cash grab for people nostalgic for the NES, who could just easily find one on Craigslist for quite a bit less.

While yes, you can use a zapper, they don't specify that it won't work on modern non-CRT televisions.

• Like 1