IGNORED

People that double post...

...are they unaware of the multiquote button that is attached to every post in a thread?

It doesn't seem productive that if you're going through a thread to hit reply on a post when you have yet to read the entire thread. After you post your reply you get bumped down to the bottom of the thread and have to go back up to the post (or back to the page even) you replied to in order to finish reading the thread.

That's the beauty of the multiquote button: see a post to reply to hit the multiquote button. Continue reading through the thread and see another post to reply to hit the multiquote button again. Finish reading the thread first and then reply to ALL in ONE post.

Multiquote eliminates double posting.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the hint! I should really get into using that feature. After a few days of visiting a thread, I tend to reply to one post at a time as I catch up with the conversation, and it does get annoying. I also can imagine how it affects other viewers when they see multiple posts at once--and now it's their time to catch up!

Thanks again!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Some people can't even figure out how to hit the regular reply button, so good luck trying to get them to use the MultiQuote button. And some people also reply inside of quote boxes instead of outside of them, which makes things even harder to follow.

• Like 4

Some people can't even figure out how to hit the regular reply button, so good luck trying to get them to use the MultiQuote button. And some people also reply inside of quote boxes instead of outside of them, which makes things even harder to follow.

Thanks for the hint! I should really get into using that feature. After a few days of visiting a thread, I tend to reply to one post at a time as I catch up with the conversation, and it does get annoying. I also can imagine how it affects other viewers when they see multiple posts at once--and now it's their time to catch up!

Thanks again!

-dZ.

...are they unaware of the multiquote button that is attached to every post in a thread?

It doesn't seem productive that if you're going through a thread to hit reply on a post when you have yet to read the entire thread. After you post your reply you get bumped down to the bottom of the thread and have to go back up to the post (or back to the page even) you replied to in order to finish reading the thread.

That's the beauty of the multiquote button: see a post to reply to hit the multiquote button. Continue reading through the thread and see another post to reply to hit the multiquote button again. Finish reading the thread first and then reply to ALL in ONE post.

Multiquote eliminates double posting.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Sci-fi gobbledy gook

• Like 3

And others misplace quoted text and fill in with Shatner lore :o

• Like 1

Thanks again!

-dZ.

Don't feel down, we're all guilty of it.

• Like 1

Sometimes I double post, and sometimes I use multi-quote. I think there's something to be said for both practices, depending on the situation. If you're responding to two or three people and everything's pretty much related, then it makes sense to multi-quote. But if person A said one thing, person B said another thing unrelated to person A's comment (but still related to the thread), and person C said something unrelated to A or B, then multi-quoting seems a bit like standing in the middle of a party and spinning around in circles participating in three or more conversations simultaneously. What, if person A wants to respond to your reply to their post then they have to quote everything you quoted and commented on from B and C as well? A lot of people don't pare down whatever quoted post they're replying to, they just quote the entire thing-- no matter how small a portion of it they want to respond to-- then add a line of text as their response. Multi-quoting just makes you have to do more work chopping out the parts you don't want to respond to, and can also make it harder to follow the flow of a specific sub-conversation within a thread, because two-thirds of a post might be related to different sub-conversations.

• Like 3

And some people also reply inside of quote boxes instead of outside of them, which makes things even harder to follow.

I just saw an example of that today:

atariage.com/forums/topic/226421-am-i-alone-in-thinking-the-red-label-games-are-completely-unappealing/?p=3009228