IGNORED

CV Controllers modded with ball stick and straightened cables

mightywiz

so I have probably 15 or so controllers at my disposal and was thinking about doing the ball knob and straightening cables to sell.

I've ordered a few ball knobs and already have straightened a few cables.

What would you pay for a professionally refurbished controller with the mentioned mods?

controllers would be:

disassembled

cleaned

solder connections checked and re-touched.

fire buttons, cleaned and lubed or replaced if needed.

direction controls cleaned, and repaired if needed.

ball knob installed

cables straightened they are about 6ft after straightened

and fully tested for functionality

I'm even considering doing a adjustable fire mod that would be internally installed in the colecovision itself.

and I can offer any other mod that is available for the colecovision. and general repairs on colecovision and the power supply.

all mods are done professionally, I'm a vocational school trained component level repair technician. and have been doing

electronics repair since 1988. I started as an electronics apprentice for a local factory authorized commodore 64 repair center.

so I've been at this for a long time.

anyways just toying with the idea, and if I get much interest I will get the ball rolling.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got all my parts today.

I went with larger ball knobs, like the ones on the Sega genesis arcade sticks.

instead of the 1 inch knobs. so hopefully it will look and feel good to play with.

I will post a picture after I'm finished, gotta do my day job first.

these are about 35mm and they look awesome.

but I have a new problem, the 30 year old plastic. it's brittle and so I've come up

with a better solution for attaching the ball.

so off for more parts tomorrow, have to work a double tomorrow so I don't think it will be done till

Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested if one could just sell the ball controller end & DIY the part swap. I have several CV controllers that I wouldn't mind having that mod.

I don't have extra of the post part the ball connects to. but if you wanted to disassemble them and send that portion to me I could do it for you.

shoot me a p.m. if interested.

sorry for the delay, but Saturday last week I started getting sick and Wednesday I went to the ER and found out that I had a stomach virus. anyways a week later it's passed and I finally felt like finishing that controller. so here are some pictures. In the photo's I replaced the disc with a ball knob the same diameter as the disc. personally I think the ball feels great, but I am going to order smaller ball knobs to offer the option of different sizes, or even sell the controllers with both knobs as with this mod the treads are metal on the shaft and the knob can be removed without damage to the shaft. I did this because the 30 year old plastic is as it is, old and brittle and I felt that putting threads in the plastic just wouldn't last with gamer type that liked to throw controllers around when they get mad, lol.

IMG_0416_zpse5165a42.jpgIMG_0417_zps908bd58b.jpgIMG_0422_zpse453fa0a.jpg

Edited by mightywiz
  • Like 5

Looks good! :thumbsup: You totally read my mind, i've been thinking about this for a couple months now and you confirmed exactly what I've been thinking all along.. Awesome. :grin:

I've snapped those plastic threads rather quickly and was already thinking about using metal, an "all-thread" type of piece, cut to size and to route out the center of the stick to make it fit and really reinforce everything.. no more snapping knobs off ever again. ;)

Personally, I like the bigger style knobs like that, w/ collar on bottom vs. the regular 1" knob thats pretty much been the standard around here.. Keep up the good work!

Cheers