IGNORED

Would you give up a 42" LCD TV for a 36" Trinitron CRT?

If you ever want a CRT TV of any size, go to Goodwill. Seems like they always have a bunch of them. Probably in good working condition, donated simply because of their size/weight/obscolensce.

None for me, though. I'm glad Goodwill still takes them, otherwise I probably would have paid to have my last CRT TV taken away (well, I still have a TI monitor in the attic with my 99/4a collection). I just love the flat screens, especially the newer ones, very bright and so light you can almost hang them like a framed painting. I'm sure someone will come up with a good "CRT emulator" app for the newer smart TVs, to make it look better for classic gaming.

Definitely get it; I helped a friend move the largest JVC I've ever seen (about 48") and it was incredibly heavy, but gaming is awesome on it and even watching movies (and the set is not even HD) has a warm feel that LCD cannot capture; Plasma is close but it can't touch the Triniton if it is also HD! :)

I really like component video on a CRT. I passed on as Trinitron display last year, kicking myself for it now. It was at a warehouse fundraiser sale for a local hospital. It was around 20" and had every input and output I can think of. Most of the medical imaging displays are monochromatic, but this caught my eye being a Sony Trinitron.

I wouldn't give up my 42" for a CRT. In fact, have a 27" Panasonic I want to get rid of.
If I really want to game on a CRT I still have a 13" that came out of my 5th wheel but I have a hunch that will also be given away eventually.

Are there 2 threads with this title? Something's strange.

THIS THREAD I AM POSTING IN:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225548-would-you-give-up-a-42-lcd-tv-for-a-36-trinitron-crt/page-2

THE THREAD I POSTED IN YESTERDAY:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225549-would-you-give-up-a-42-lcd-tv-for-a-36-trinitron-crt/

Notice the thread number? 225548 vs. 225549

The first message is exactly the same, but all the other messages are different. I guess 2 threads got started at the same time.....

Well, I did some more research and it sounds like I'm not the only one to have this problem with a Trinitron TV. A solution I read was to use an A/V switch box, and hook up a console that works in color, and then switch back to the console that is in black and white and that should hopefully do the trick. I am going to pick up a switch box on the way home today and see if that works. I really hope so, because moving that thing was not easy! It's strange because my consoles work great on the smaller Trinitron upstairs.

Success! The switch box works perfect. I just have to flip over for a second to the cable box and back each time I change games to keep them in color.

Overall the TV has a great picture, and even though it is a "smaller" 36" compared to the 42" LCD, there is substantially more viewing area. I need to get some light gun games now.ema3yjy4.jpg

3yme4ebe.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, Gredler. I know what you mean. A good CRT just has some something to it's picture that only the very high end flat panel TVs seem to be able to replicate. I don't really know how to put it on words.

I realized that a feature of this switch box was that it converts composite to S video. I put on a S video cable for the output to the TV and now it plays in color all the time and has a really good picture too, so no more having to flip the switch every time I change or reset the game. Problem solved!

Overall the TV has a great picture, and even though it is a "smaller" 36" compared to the 42" LCD, there is substantially more viewing area. I need to get some light gun games now.

Very awesome!!! I keep a few of these big bastards (CRTs) around for the same reason. Glad you saved and appreciate it! CRTs continue to have an appropriate place in classic gaming. It's a shame how many good ones are being tossed out. I'm stocking up.

A neighbor asked me to help her move some furniture yesterday from a friends house. Long story short, the house is going to be foreclosed on and everything has to go. They have a Sony Trinitron TV, relatively late model probably a 36" or so that I am considering for my man cave since I can get it for next to nothing. The problem is I already have a 42" LCD down there. It's a relatively low end TV but it works well. Lately I have been mostly just playing games down there and I absolutely love the way Atari games look on the 21" Trinitron in my son's room compared to the LCD, but I also like having a HD TV downstairs during football season. I am torn on whether or not to make the swap. I will be able to keep the 42" by moving it upstairs to so I could always trade back (with some backbreaking labor), but would you give up a 42" HD for an older CRT? Thanks!

Judging by your picture you have room for both..... ;-)