IGNORED

Would you give up a 42" LCD TV for a 36" Trinitron CRT?

A neighbor asked me to help her move some furniture yesterday from a friends house. Long story short, the house is going to be foreclosed on and everything has to go. They have a Sony Trinitron TV, relatively late model probably a 36" or so that I am considering for my man cave since I can get it for next to nothing. The problem is I already have a 42" LCD down there. It's a relatively low end TV but it works well. Lately I have been mostly just playing games down there and I absolutely love the way Atari games look on the 21" Trinitron in my son's room compared to the LCD, but I also like having a HD TV downstairs during football season. I am torn on whether or not to make the swap. I will be able to keep the 42" by moving it upstairs to so I could always trade back (with some backbreaking labor), but would you give up a 42" HD for an older CRT? Thanks!

Thanks, I think I'll go for it. She had the TV on when I first walked in and I immediately noticed the awesome picture. As we were ready to go she asked if we were interested in anything else and I asked about the TV. She seemed kind of surprised like "why would you want that old heavy thing" lol. Oh, sorry about the triple posts. Is there a way to delete the others?

I got a 32" LCD and was going to migrate from my old, heavy, power consuming 27" Trinitron. But I'm going back to the Trinitron after trying out the Genesis, SNES, and Saturn on the LCD. It just doesn't look as good to me as the Trinitron. Plus, keeping the Trinitron allows me to play light-gun games for the Saturn.

So I say get yourself the Trinitron, and get people to help you move it. And be careful you don't break your back in the process. :)

I say get it! It's only going to be more difficult to procure a nice one in the future, and they're the best for the classic systems. It's going to be ABSOLUTE MURDER to move. I have a 36" and a 32" and it's heart-attack/hernia time if they're moved, which they aren't very often.

Keep your LCD TV too, of course; each excels at different jobs. I don't get the whole "LCD vs. CRT" debate, because they're apples and oranges. For watching TV programs and movies and modern HD consoles, of course LCD. For classic games and classic computers, CRT all the way. Fortunately, you don't have to choose.

For moving heavy CRT tvs (and whatever else), some straps like the "Forearm Forklift" are **VERY** helpful.......

post-16281-0-57892700-1400458251_thumb.jpg post-16281-0-90882600-1400458342_thumb.jpg post-16281-0-88598200-1400458349_thumb.jpg

Despite the silly "Madison Avenue name," these are really quite helpful! It won't help you now, but if you ever decide to move that thing in the future, it will!

There is only one good reason I can think of for NOT getting that CRT television, and that would be if you have nowhere to put it due to its size.

Modern TV's just suck for retro gaming.

Wrong aspect ratio

Ugly/harsh rendering of old school graphics

Not possible to play light gun games

IMO, there is too much hype over what a TV screen looks like. Sure, get your one nice modern TV with big screen and home theater system for watching movies in the living room. But as a bedroom TV (for example) who cares? Up until last week I had a 27" CRT on top of my dresser, which I used all the time to watch Netflix. The picture looks fine for something to watch while nodding off to sleep.

The only reason that CRT is no longer in my bedroom is because it's now out in the garage serving as a display for a MAME rig. :D Looks awesome.

• Like 1

There is only one good reason I can think of for NOT getting that CRT television, and that would be if you have nowhere to put it due to its size.

Modern TV's just suck for retro gaming.

Wrong aspect ratio

Ugly/harsh rendering of old school graphics

Not possible to play light gun games

IMO, there is too much hype over what a TV screen looks like. Sure, get your one nice modern TV with big screen and home theater system for watching movies in the living room. But as a bedroom TV (for example) who cares? Up until last week I had a 27" CRT on top of my dresser, which I used all the time to watch Netflix. The picture looks fine for something to watch while nodding off to sleep.

The only reason that CRT is no longer in my bedroom is because it's now out in the garage serving as a display for a MAME rig. :D Looks awesome.

No one could be bothered to find a "native" or "full" setting so that 4:3 content would display correctly? The 2nd bit (ugly/harsrh rendering) is a matter of taste to some degree while the third (light guns) is of course a fact. But I don't see how the aspect ratio being incorrect is the fault of the TV, it's the fault of the person who couldn't find a setting in a menu.

Maybe everyone all of a sudden has TVs that don't let them adjust this, but to my knowledge basically every TV still has a native function which displays content as delivered. My brand new projector has it, as did my last new LCD from just a few years ago.

• Like 1

It's too bad we can't come up with a CRT matchmaking service. An app that lists user-entered locations of CRTs being thrown out. Sort of like a short term craigs list. I mean we have apps for everything else including how many times you wipe your ass with tp or measure how loud you can scream.

I was cruising around the rich well-to-do areas of town again on my way home and spotted a total of no less than 7, that's right, 7, CRT's out for dustcart pickup. 3 of them had "save me. I'm working" signs on them with their remote and manual in a baggie. Nice ones too. 19" and on up. 3 or 4 were silver flatscreens. I don't doubt I'd have found more if I kept going.

I'm also surprised no one has come up with a light-gun adapter that uses a modern web-cam style camera as a clip-on to your existing gun. And it would do visual recognition and simulate the screen timing. Or by using a high-refresh (240Hz) screen, and a little software modification I don't see why existing lightguns couldn't be made to work by default.

No one could be bothered to find a "native" or "full" setting so that 4:3 content would display correctly? The 2nd bit (ugly/harsrh rendering) is a matter of taste to some degree while the third (light guns) is of course a fact. But I don't see how the aspect ratio being incorrect is the fault of the TV, it's the fault of the person who couldn't find a setting in a menu.

Maybe everyone all of a sudden has TVs that don't let them adjust this, but to my knowledge basically every TV still has a native function which displays content as delivered. My brand new projector has it, as did my last new LCD from just a few years ago.

I think this is going to have to be the next big feud in classic gaming... CRT vs. LCD. There's just so much misinformation on both sides and no one seems to want to see the other person's perspective. It would be great if there were some kind of ongoing dialogue on how to make the most of a CRT or LCD for classic gaming.

Hey, if we can have a thread on flashcarts or Knight Rider, why not?

I think this is going to have to be the next big feud in classic gaming... CRT vs. LCD. There's just so much misinformation on both sides and no one seems to want to see the other person's perspective. It would be great if there were some kind of ongoing dialogue on how to make the most of a CRT or LCD for classic gaming.

Hey, if we can have a thread on flashcarts or Knight Rider, why not?

Haha I think to some degree it already may be!

Though it's not something I'll ever bother with, there is a lot of talk about that Framemeister thing here which adds scanlines, so there is some discussion here of making LCDs look like CRTs.

I'm lucky that I have the room to have both a CRT and a projector set up (though I play mostly on the projector, even for retro consoles), I realize space is an issue in a lot of cases.

Haha I think to some degree it already may be!

Though it's not something I'll ever bother with, there is a lot of talk about that Framemeister thing here which adds scanlines, so there is some discussion here of making LCDs look like CRTs.

I'm lucky that I have the room to have both a CRT and a projector set up (though I play mostly on the projector, even for retro consoles), I realize space is an issue in a lot of cases.

I don't like the idea of hardware adding scanline effects. I'd rather have scanlines and artifacts and effects produced by a well-programmed emulator.struttin' its stuff on a 4k or 8k set. There's endless options to get the look you want with none of the inconsistent geometry and distortion associated with tubez.

This is a feud that's been going on for some time. It's just not big-time. I believe it will be pushed into the forefront when the CRTs start to break down into an unfixable state and no replacements can be found. Then you'll see a rush to figure out look-a-like options.

There've been several "discussions" on this CRT vs. LCD thing off and on throughout the ages; and they invariably deteriorate into name calling, stupid making, and members flaming members for no good reason other than fanboyism and purists vs. the unenlightened. All that and more.

I've been dick'n with emulator settings since emulators were invented and unabashedly I say I've gotten quite good at tweaking them to an even-better-than-CRT experience.

The right fringing, bleeding, saturation, contrast, glow, brightness, adjusting the sliders and tweaking the .ini files, it's all an art form to me.

I'm aware of the "native" setting; my point is, a 4:3 image centered on a wide 16:9 screen looks like crap, IMO, in the same way that "widesceen" formatted VHS movies used to look like crap on old TV's. Empty black bars just suck.

I don't even consider myself a "purist" in any sense of the word, but we all have our limits; the way old graphics look on new displays is different enough from the "original experience" to become distracting.

Sure, one can play old games on new TV's, just as one can drink red wine from a low-ball glass or eat french fries with chopsticks. As with these examples, some things just become inextricably linked to certain experiences, and to me, retro games are inextricably linked to the look of the CRT television.

I'm aware of the "native" setting; my point is, a 4:3 image centered on a wide 16:9 screen looks like crap, IMO, in the same way that "widesceen" formatted VHS movies used to look like crap on old TV's. Empty black bars just suck.

I don't even consider myself a "purist" in any sense of the word, but we all have our limits; the way old graphics look on new displays is different enough from the "original experience" to become distracting.

Sure, one can play old games on new TV's, just as one can drink red wine from a low-ball glass or eat french fries with chopsticks. As with these examples, some things just become inextricably linked to certain experiences, and to me, retro games are inextricably linked to the look of the CRT television.

OK but that's not the wrong aspect ratio though, and "wrong aspect ratio" is what you said. The games are still in the right aspect ratio. If you have that big a beef with black bars, hey, that's your thing and I would never bother trying to take it away from you. I do think it's very very silly but it's your thing, not mine. I prob have lots of preferences you'd think were very silly.

(BTW those "widescreen" VHS were almost assuredly OAR versions of the movies, as opposed to a panned and scanned fullscreen 4:3 version, so the "widescreen" version was actually the FAR superior one, even if it used less screen.)

You may not consider yourself a purist but to some degree, you certainly seem to be. I don't think purist is a negative term by nature btw, there's nothing wrong with being a purist IMO so long as it's about what you really like and not just being a pissing contest so you can look down on people. I like your last line a lot, it's a very good and fair explanation.

For viewing 4:3 content on a 16:10 set I built a small wood frame in 4:3 size that hangs over the set, thus creating a real border that looks good. It is woodgrain finish of course and matches the cabinet and furniture. Basically very much similar to a picture frame.

• Like 1

For viewing 4:3 content on a 16:10 set I built a small wood frame in 4:3 size that hangs over the set, thus creating a real border that looks good. It is woodgrain finish of course and matches the cabinet and furniture. Basically very much similar to a picture frame.

That actually sounds like a really good idea. I think I'd want a really big screen before I tried it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Trinitron on a 4-wheeled cart at work marked "TO BE RECYCLED" for at least a week now. I should ask around who I should talk to about taking it home. Of course, I'd catch hell from the wife. There was a smaller TV lying on the roadside last month, she refused to let me stop & check it out.

We're moving next week, & I really don't want one more thing to haul. Then again, if it DOES work, I could just get our helpers to do it, I wouldnt even necessarily have to touch it. & if it doesnt work, the free county recycling center isnt far.

Come to think of it, I dont recall seeing a plug/cord on that TV. But I'll measure the screen tonight.

My wife will kill me for bringing in another CRT but I got my eye on a few at a local Goodwill. They are flat screens and only $6.99 each. One of them is a Philips and it has S-Video and its larger than my current CRT which is only a 13" Toshiba.

It's nice playing older consoles on them (PS2\Gamecube and older). Although I find the blockiness of the 2600, CV and NES just fine on a LCD. Its when you get the N64\PS1 ---> Gamecube\PS2 era games that look a little crappy but emulation has done wonders for those on PC. Just my opinion.

So it's 27" diag & 22" wide, S-vid, & RCA jacks front & back, & maybe component. & cord confirmed! I think it was only used for video presentations. Since I dont want to move it twice, I'll wait til after we move next Tues if it's still sitting there. If not, then it wasnt meant to be.

So, bad news- I went up a few links in the chain of command (luckily I knew everyone I talked to so it was easier to express my intent) but the highest guy I talked to said HE'D have to go to the big boss for permission to let me take it. Well I'd heard this guy's a real jerk & I didnt want to deal w/ him or have him involved, so I said just forget it. I was told most likely I couldnt take it & wouldnt be allowed to.

So, another one bites the dust.