IGNORED

Atari joystick blister connection issue

Gurner

I've got a couple of joysticks / game pads that have the same style of simple board inside:

When the stick is moved or the button is pressed, the thin metal "blister" is pressed onto the contact below.

However, sometimes, the contact only works when the stick or button is pressed super-hard, making it almost useless.

- It's not a wiring issue, and the blisters line-up correctly with the contacts underneath.

- This is for buttons on other controllers too, any ideas?? :?

post-37355-0-32394000-1400740777_thumb.jpg

As I recall there are four small "pins" moulded into the joystick which press the switches, look to see if these have worn away or broken off.

If that appear to be the case it may be possible to glue a section of plastic cockatiel stick in its place to restore operation although it that may not work for very long. However if all the "pins" appear to be ok try pressing the buttons with your fingers, if you still have difficult making them switch then problem is with the contact, replacing them with http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-b3d.pdf may restore operation although not having tried I myself I cannot be certain of that or of how easy it would be to perform the replacement.

Is the same true if you hold the circuit and press the blisters with a thumb?

If not, I'd look at the plastic handle. Specifically, the ring at the base of the handle. If the ring becomes worn, the joystick becomes unresponsive.

An alternative is to buy an upgraded circuit with gold-plated contacts from Best Electronics. Best carry spares for the joystick, including the plastic handle inserts.

I have 2 upgraded 2600 joysticks fitted with these boards and they're ultra-responsive and feel like new.

IIRC the boards aren't expensive.

You might want to check out Bradley's troubleshooting instructions here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/CX40_REBUILD%20KIT.htm

Edited by UKRetrogamer

...I also seem to remember seeing a hack somewhere to replace the domed switches with micro-switches. While I wouldn't mind trying this, it just wouldn't *feel* authentic. I prefer the dull, tactile click of the original blister switches in my CX40.

I'll see if I can dig out a link and report back...

Peel off the original tape thoroughly clean the domes as well as the contact points. Then re-tape them back down with packaging tape. Should work like new after that.

You're right, it works!!

Funny that it didn't LOOK like the contacts were in the wrong spots visually, but removing it and replacing it again worked.