IGNORED

Joust (Score and Remaining Men Screen)

FULS

I'm having trouble locating a xex file of the game that will put a space between the score and remaining men.

I know this is trivial, but has anyone else noticed this?

Examples below show the rom file OK, but the xex file not.

ROM FILE XEX FILE

post-10849-0-64433500-1401739059_thumb.png post-10849-0-63584100-1401739083_thumb.png

Thanks,

Doug

• Like 1

But have you fixed the 1 pixel glitch on the right hand stripes on the title screen - it's in the original ROM and has ALWAYS annoyed me!

Challenge accepted:

attachicon.gifjoust-title-fix.xex

attachicon.gifjoust.zip

I also made the animation update smoothly every other frame.

Nice! Amazing, I had never even noticed that all these years, and I've been playing Joust and admiring the nice title-screen for a long time. Although I admit I played it much more back in the 80's.

Would you be so kind as to add the fix to the ROM version, if it's not too much trouble?

Edited by MrFish

Holy cow, that was much harder. I compressed some of the ROM with lz4 to make room for the fixes. Probably there was an easier way. :-o

attachicon.gifjoust-title-fix.rom

attachicon.gifjoust-src.zip

I thought that might be the case when I asked. That's why I said, "if it's not too much trouble". I know they worked pretty hard to fit games onto 8k and 16k cartridges back in the day.

Nice job though. It looks and works great.

• Like 1

The Remaining Men symbols are also backwards. What would cause that?

I don't think that these symbols being different is a result of cracking of the published ROM. Also, the differences between the XEX and the ROM are deeper than in a typical cartridge hacking attempt. The XEX file even contains parts of source code embedded in itself.

I kinda get a feeling that the XEX file might have its origin in a not yet known prototype. Or maybe the file itself is some (almost final) development version that got leaked from Atari, Inc. in the golden days of rampant piracy.

• Like 1

The Remaining Men symbols are also backwards. What would cause that?

I don't think that these symbols being different is a result of cracking of the published ROM. Also, the differences between the XEX and the ROM are deeper than in a typical cartridge hacking attempt. The XEX file even contains parts of source code embedded in itself.

I kinda get a feeling that the XEX file might have its origin in a not yet known prototype. Or maybe the file itself is some (almost final) development version that got leaked from Atari, Inc. in the golden days of rampant piracy.

Interesting about the imbedded source code. The backwards remaining men symbols almost look like the number "6", used on the score display. So it could make sense that if from an earlier version, wanting to change this, they not only flipped the remaining men symbols around, but also put an extra space in between them and the numbers, in order to avoid confusion.

• Like 2

Joust was developed first on the 5200 and then ported to the 8-bit. You'd think that any proto would be a 5200 version.

Unless there are protos of the attempts to reduce it to 16K. This is a game I've always wanted to rewrite and try to get closer to the 7800 version. It would require a pretty impressive softsprite routine to handle the enemies with more color, though.

• 9 years later...
On 6/3/2014 at 3:28 PM, Xuel said:

Challenge accepted:

joust-title-fix.xex 16.11 kB · 101 downloads

joust.zip 20.71 kB · 64 downloads

I also made the animation update smoothly every other frame.

Any idea why this won't load with SDRIVE?  It works fine with SIO2SD and Fujinet, but the XEX on SDRIVE will not execute.  It loads, but goes to black screen and never starts.

On 6/4/2014 at 9:20 PM, Kr0tki said:

I would love for someone to take the protection out of the original cartridge and make a XEX file of it.

I think this is the only cartridge that has not been cracked.

Like Kr0tki said, this version, that was made into a xex was most likely a prototype with bugs in it.

Edited by FULS

I have no idea what the screen clitch was, but the main issue fixed was that the proper space was added between the left score and the lives remaining symbols.  It's a small thing, but someone fixed it.  Xuel has cracked many games to be compatible with XL OS and is very talented in 6502 coding.  He has fixed many game issues in the past.

• Like 1