IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

Due to problems that are not my place to talk details about Starwindz cannot return to the project for the foreseeable future, I'll muddle about in the background but at the moment I ask you simply to offer Starwindz your best wishes as he deals with a family matter. The pair of us seem to be going through testing times with my daughter having a relapse in to anorexia and the family issue Starwindz is dealing with.

Hi, I am still relatively new to this thread but in the end our Atari hobbies are very low on the scale of importance. Take as much time as needed, after all our contributions are voluntary and should never feel forced. Hope things get better.

• Like 1

I don't know if someone has already brought this up, but, any game that has any type of disk i/o or save function must be in ATR format with a proper DOS in order to perform properly using the SIDE Loader.

EXE or XEX is fine (and saves space) for games that do not do disk I/O. I recently ran into this issue.

I prefer SpartaDOS 3.x or 2.x, or even 1.x, but if the game doesn't like it, then try BWDOS. As a last resort, then MyDOS, DOS-XL, or AtariDOS.

This saves so much work if all games work, rather than finding one "the hard way" that won't save game data or high score because they don't have DOS.

Just a (hopefully helpful) thought.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last idea was to have ATX's of as many programs as I could find but as said above, Starwindz is unable to return to the project for the foreseeable future and I find out on Thursday if my daughter is going to returned to hospital for several more months because of weight loss.(she is an anorexic amongst other illnesses)

IF at some point in the future things get better for the pair of us then I'd suggest a reminder but at the moment life is being a wee bit cruel to us for different reasons.

Sorry if I sound dejected but that's the way it is for the pair of us

hello to anyone still interested!. leapster is missing from the gamepack... i know iknow it will get to version 3 patch.... or whatever and im kinda wondering when/if a update to this nice idea is going to be realised....

hmmm what i mean is does anyone feel they could continue this... ive tried to add my own games but it aint easy! - i couldnt suss it out !!

anyway pm me or whatever tata, aha

Edited by AHA

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone can help me with this...

This project looks FANTASTIC and it seems like a lot of people involved are having some issues; my heart goes out to you all. Perhaps a community member can help me.

I downloaded 1.2 beta, and maybe I had an incorrect link or something. I get it to run, but like 90% of the games say "file not found?" Am I doing something wrong?

i have a couple of other questions

1] currently my "folder" is residing on desktop. can it be located anywhere?

2] is there an option to add games manually? ie by copying

game files to \gamepack\gamebase\games, and pics to

\gamepack\gamebase\screenshots

if so should game files be zipped?

Its a database, there's no options to add a game manually..

Yes the gamepack can be anywhere as it looks inside itself for content..

Sadly the gamepack is on constant hold as both myself and Starwindz are unable to return to the release due to severe family issues...

I'm not at liberty to discuss Starwindz issues other than to say he deserves total support, my issues are still with my daughters Anorexia although mine are a hell of a lot less than starwindz issues..

I aim to try and soldier on by learning the DB format but its not an instant learn.....At 55 with housing issues amongst many other things its just one of the things I'm trying to "fit in" with all the other things...

All I ask is that people offer Starwindz their best wishes,,,

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I'm a little confused, does this mean the release I have that can't find the games is the way it is supposed to be currently? Once again I'm sorry about all the family issues. That's also why am asking for somebody else from the community who is more freed up right now help me if possible.

I'm a little confused, does this mean the release I have that can't find the games is the way it is supposed to be currently? Once again I'm sorry about all the family issues. That's also why am asking for somebody else from the community who is more freed up right now help me if possible.

This or they should see if anyone else is interested in taking this project over and off their hands since they are both unable to support it, so they can focus on family stuff and not worry about people bothering them with questions.

I am not Starwindz or Mclaneinc, but I have successfully been using the Game Pack in the past. My first question is whether you only downloaded the 1.2.0 update 3 file or if you also downloaded the 1.1 version as well. The 1.2.0 file is only an update to the 1.1 version and does not include everything in the 1.1 version.

I even have the Game Pack working on my iMac using Wine. If you are installing this on a Windows computer, it should be a straight-forward process.

I found the Game Pack to be in a very stable state. One of the remaining projects that Mclaneinc wanted to do was to play each game looking for non-working game versions or versions with problems. As he has already described, that project is on indefinite hold.

While I cannot vouch for every game, I was able to play every game that I tried. The convenience of having the included documentation was handy as well. Before I knew more about how to use Altirra, the Game Pack was a nice sandbox to start using it.

Bob C

Thanks for helping Darwinmac..

Neither myself nor Starwindz have said we are never coming back, in fact I'm as near to coming back as anyone, yes my daughters health is my priority but she is slowly getting better and I'll have more free time to learn how the database works but in Starwindz case its far more complicated as he's already an ultra busy guy who has started a new role in the company he works in as well as health issues in the family.

As for its current status, most stuff works fine if you have the very latest version which can be found on the first post on this thread via Starwindz sig. Yes there are a few games that are missing which is down to me not doing my checking when I had more of a chance.

Also worth remembering that there's the excellent Atari 8bit Gamebase by Mark Hardnman which links were posted by me in this thread near the end but I can't promise they still work.

I'm still looking at the gamepack db and think I have enough knowledge to try changing it so who knows, I'm not making any promises but the Gamepack is still one thing I want to work on.

Paul...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recommended game in the game pack: Alien Swarm (Great variation on the Galaxians/Space Invaders theme)

alien_swarm_d7.jpg

alien_swarm_v06_4.gif

Source: www.atarimania.com

This one brings back memories. Most of my hardware and software was bought from the inhome people, I was a beta tester for many of the games, this one included. Good days.. I am downloading now. I would love to see how many inhome games you have.. there is a spider game that is very good.. blanking on the name at the moment. Good buddy back then wrote that one.

James

I assume you extract the update into the same dir as the base? and just over write anything that duplicates?

I did this.. downloaded from post 1.. then when started.. it asked me for an online update. 1.15 I think.. and then as in my next post had issues.

Thanks

BIkerbob

Edited by Bikerbob

Just a quick one, when you say updated I presume you got the entire gamepack from the link in Starwindz first post?

If not, get that, there were some small updates but we had to make it a re-download of the whole thing for a few reasons..

Next, if you are getting missing games there's 2 reasons for this

1. There ARE missing games, not many but itt was one thing I was going to fix before my world fell in (see earlier posts as to why the Gamepack is on hold)

2. An error crept in which for some people rendered some people missing games, there is a fix and its to go to the gamepack main directory and then in to the ini directory and delete the file named baseinfoall.ini (back it up if you want) then re-run the gampack and it will recreate that file with a correct one.

BUT there are still games missing, I may end up fixing it but both me and Starwindz have more serious matters to attend to but one day I hope one or both of us will make a comeback..

Bikerbob, the above may fix your issue but its not to do with Windows 7 as I run that myself X64, I'll take a quick look later and see if I can see an issue but the gamepack works perfectly bar the missing games so it could be that something has been moved etc?

Paul...The other half of the gamepack team...Well actually anyone who plays it and offers help gets classed as part of the team but its me and Starwindz who do the work :)

• 3 weeks later...

The favourites are part of the MDB files in the Gamebase / GBC_v11 folders, you could just copy that to another computer BUT that is the whole database with all the game names etc so it would over write their database so if it was not as current as yours you could have some issues....If its the same as yours then you could do it that way...

Strongly recommend backing up their database first

Edited by Mclaneinc