IGNORED

The Missing Link and Classic99

Well, deleted or not, I still saw your comments. I think that you are reading directed negativity where it's just sort of loosely broadcast. ;) I HOPE that in Classic99 threads, at least, I can state my opinion of emulation without it being seen as an attack on someone else?

You have stated, just a few messages up, that your purpose is to reproduce the original system accurately. I called that "looking backwards". You can call it "nostalgia". You can call it "preservation". Whatever you like. That means that you are not free to expand the system, even though the original design of the system was intended for and is compatible with this expansion. That's fine. But I don't believe that new file system hardware should be restricted to 127 files in a folder because that's what MESS emulates. I see no reason for a limitation of 400k in this day of cheap multi-terabyte storage systems. (I realize the old hard drive systems overcome a lot of that, but nowhere in this thread did we talk about those. They are also an extension that does not use the TI floppy disk format - that MESS /does/ support.)

I have stated for years and years and years that Classic99 is intended to be a forward-looking system for development of new software and hardware. That's where I choose to spend my time. Spending time emulating limited, ancient storage systems frustrates me, because it distracts from that goal. That's all there is to it. I don't begrudge you your goals in MESS, why are mine a problem for you?

I've been saying that I don't like floppy disk images since long before you even started updating MESS. Don't take it as a threat - obviously if people were going to follow me they'd have done so by now. ;)

Tursi, I deleted my comments simply because I think we don't need long arguments about our different approaches, and sometimes I feel as if I had to clarify a point, but thinking longer about that, it is probably less necessary than I thought at first.

On the bottomline, in my view, disk images are a necessary element of emulation, and there are and will be disk images in the MAME and MESS environment. I don't want to "go forward", and this delivers a good distinction between the emulators. You see the images as limiting in your attempt to progress, and I'll keep them in the attempt to preserve.

I don't have a problem with that. The only thing I wanted to say is: It seemed to me that you complained about people desiring disk images and say this is a hindrance in emulation. This is no problem as long as you talk about Classic99 and your view, but it does not apply to MESS and other emulators. I just contradicted to a general statement about emulation. :)

What I am highly interested in is a comfortable way to exchange files between the emulators so that all users can simply switch between both. For that reason we have the TIFILES format which you use natively, and I have TIImageTool in order to import and export them with images. That's all we need to make sure.

I have tried everything, including reinstalling Classic99 but still I get the same error, even with just a single line regular statement under plain XB.

I don't think this is an issue with TML at this point, but rather something to do with my computer. I just don't understand what could possibly trigger that error because otherwise Classic99 is working just fine.

This is really bizarre...

try running classic99 as administrator

I don't recommend running Classic99 as administrator - there's nothing in the program that requires it. If you have it writing to folders that require administrator access you're safer moving those folders to somewhere Windows isn't paranoid about. :)

I am running Windows 7 with Classic99 from Documents and have to give it Administrator rights or it has crashed.

Now MESS I had to put in the ROOT directory and that has made me pretty paranoid. (The only reason it is there is typing huge lines of paths.)

I'd like to know more about the /crash/, it doesn't load anything where failure should cause such a thing.

Another side effect of running programs as administrator is that they end up locking the files they write, in some cases only administrator can read those files again, meaning you put yourself into a negative feedback loop.

Classic99 has network ports inside it for the debug systems (disabled by default, but there). Bugs are always possible. Thus I don't recommend running it as administrator. I don't, and I'm the most power user of it there is. ;)

I am running Windows 7 with Classic99 from Documents and have to give it Administrator rights or it has crashed.

Now MESS I had to put in the ROOT directory and that has made me pretty paranoid. (The only reason it is there is typing huge lines of paths.)

Put both Classic99 and MESS in the root directory. There's nothing in either to be paranoid or concerned about. Or better yet, put it on another drive. All my emulation stuff is on a secondary 2tb drive (and it's almost full :( ). I have all my emulation stuff marked as excluded by my antivirus software and have never had any problem or incident. It's the dumb stuff that we click on on our browsers that cause problems, not emulation stuff that we know where it's coming from.

Gazoo

Classic99 has a behaviour that MESS does not.

When I am running Classic99 on Windows 7 it makes my Google or Internet Explorer on web pages unable to type for a few seconds expecially on Facebook.

I turn off Classic99 and it returns to normal.

I would prefer to run both from Documents and own folders. I hate putting anything in the root directory but the OS.

After hours of configuring both to run from Documents and encountering problems like unable to write to a folder or having to go change permissions all the time I just opted for this set up.

My work machine is on a Windows domain. if I don't run classic99 as local admin then classic99.exe can't write to the dsk folders and can't update the ini file.

Then put the folders in a location where you have write access. I don't believe that there is no folder anywhere on that computer that you can write to. :)

I run it in C:\Classic99 - partly because that makes it fast to get at, and partly because Windows doesn't lock down that folder. ;)

I can't stop what you guys do, so we don't need a long list of arguments why you run it as administrator, I'm just saying that as the author, and a long time Windows developer, I don't recommend it, and nothing in the program requires it. There's no warranty, you're on your own and you make your own decisions. You also accept your own consequences. :)

Classic99 has a behaviour that MESS does not.

When I am running Classic99 on Windows 7 it makes my Google or Internet Explorer on web pages unable to type for a few seconds expecially on Facebook.

I turn off Classic99 and it returns to normal.

I have never run into that, I'm afraid. My system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I use IE as well. Are you 32 bit or 64 bit? If you check task manager while this problem is occurring, does the CPU spike?

For me, my slow processor and small internal hard drive, Classic99 seems to play well with others..

I occasionaly get a "High Memory Usage: Classic99.exe" warning in the lower-left of my screen, but I blow it off... Usually these days, Chrome, Magellan, Notepad++, and Classic99 stay running when I am.at my keyboard and I dont have any measurable performance issues.

I have never run into that, I'm afraid. My system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I use IE as well. Are you 32 bit or 64 bit? If you check task manager while this problem is occurring, does the CPU spike?

Will have to check next time it crops up.

I've found if you just extract this stuff in your downloads folder, windows 7 doesn't care..

Greg

I've found if you just extract this stuff in your downloads folder, windows 7 doesn't care..

Greg

Yea well I can do that. But I do not want to run it all from the download folder as I do a ton of downloads.

Edited by RXB

To beat a dead horse—I have never run Classic99 as Admin and it has always run fine. I have Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) on an Intel Core-2-Duo laptop. I had been running it from my “downloads” directory (C:\Users\Lee\Downloads\TI-99-4A\classic99) because I was lazy, but now I run it from another, more reasonable subdirectory, viz., C:\TI-99-4A\classic99.

...lee

For me, my slow processor and small internal hard drive, Classic99 seems to play well with others..

I occasionaly get a "High Memory Usage: Classic99.exe" warning in the lower-left of my screen, but I blow it off... Usually these days, Chrome, Magellan, Notepad++, and Classic99 stay running when I am.at my keyboard and I dont have any measurable performance issues.

Yeah, sorry about that. A lot of arrays, particularly the cartridge space, are statically allocated (with the expansion to 32MB cartridges, there's 64MB allocated just for that). That needs cleanup, and in particular I can dynamically allocate the cartridge memory, I was just being lazy. ;)

That said, I hope "high memory usage" isn't showing more than 100MB, cause it shouldn't.

2GB of RAM is all I've got. I get "High Memory Usage" out of Chrome alot too with multiple pages open, maybe watching a video on YouTube.

The best one is, if I have multiple windows open and I'm reordering directories, I get "High Memory Usage:wexplorer"...

Get that? My freakin windows DISPLAY causes High Memory Usage warnings...

:)

I dont know, maybe the warning tolerance is set super low. Perhaps that is something I can adjust... Or just keep ignoring it.

No sh**, huh?!

I think it's Norton--- part of my crappy internet package from Frontier.

I stopped using Norton years ago, it's a resource hog for sure. Running Avast Free now, and have protection set to a minimum. Can't even tell it's there. :)

Gazoo

No sh**, huh?!

I think it's Norton--- part of my crappy internet package from Frontier.

Dude remove Norton, it's worse than the viruses.. just install malwarebytes antimalware (paid is worth the 25$ but you can run it free if you want to manually scan) and microsoft security essentials.. no money begging, and malware is cought by the antimalware

Greg

• Like 1