IGNORED

What is your favorite Atari Combination (Setup)?

Larry

My #1 favorite game ever on Atari 8bit.

Yeah, I saw that in the other thread. It's a real blast to play. Gives the term "multi-task" new meaning.

I prefer the 1984 version. It has the animations on the title screen, better sprite for the inch-worm, and starts out at a higher level by default. BTW, has anyone ever documented all the differences between the two versions before? I'm guessing there may be some others. Supposedly the 1983 version is a prototype, although pretty complete regardless. However, I don't see it on Tempest's site...

Edited by MrFish

Yeah, I saw that in the other thread. It's a real blast to play. Gives the term "multi-task" new meaning.

I prefer the 1984 version. It has the animations on the title screen, better sprite for the inch-worm, and starts out at a higher level by default. BTW, has anyone ever documented all the differences between the two versions before? I'm guessing there may be some others. Supposedly the 1983 version is a prototype, although pretty complete regardless. However, I don't see it on Tempest's site...

INDEED 1984 version is my favorite too (btw: I play the one with the PAL Fix, since in the original game there is a bug on PAL systems).

The most important difference between the 1983 and 1984 version is IMHO the fact that you see the score on the spiders which gives you this thrilling motivation to hit them as close as possible. In 1983 version the same points are rewarded of course, but you don't see the results of your achievement on the moment supreme.

Another difference is the outlined shape of the DDT explosion.

The most important difference between the 1983 and 1984 version is IMHO the fact that you see the score on the spiders which gives you this thrilling motivation to hit them as close as possible. In 1983 version the same points are rewarded of course, but you don't see the results of your achievement on the moment supreme.

Another difference is the outlined shape of the DDT explosion.

I've never really played it enough to see these other differences. Just had a couple quick looks. You're right though; the points on the spider are important, as you get more the closer they are when you kill them. I always just shoot them wherever they are though. I think I developed a quick trigger for them by playing the 5200 version of Centipede, in which the single spider there is a complete menace, and not to be tampered with -- at least as the levels progress.

I'm still a little curious as to why the 1983 proto doesn't appear on Tempest's site. He does have the protos for the 5200 listed there. An oversight? Surprising if that's the case.

My ultimate would be a 1450XLD (working as advertised) with 2 Indus GT's in each bay (hard wired, not SIO, probably not possible, but a cool idea), S-Video, Stereo, XL14 accelerator, APE OS, SIO2USB, Atarimax 1mB Cartridge, 27" 4:3 Stereo LCD, mouse, & a partridge in a pair tree.

or

800 /w incognito, 815, 835, 850, 825, 410(first version), high-end RCA 19" TV(like in the old print ad's), SIO2USB. Original but updated. (When I get my second $million, the first has not worked out so good, I'll get this!)

The 1983 8-bit prototype looks like it's a copy of the earlier version of Millipede for the 5200 (http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/millipede/1584.htm). The only difference I see between the two is the copyright date. The odd thing is that Millipede was developed on the 5200 first and then ported to the 8-bit. I'm guessing someone got a hold of the WIP 5200 version and made a quick and dirty port to the 8-bit.

I'm using a 1200XL with a several mods (clearpic, Rambo Memory, PBI mod, 32-in-1 OS, some other compatibility mods). I'm also using SIO2PC for disk based games, a 410 for tapes, and my The!Cart should be arriving soon for cartridge games. I'm using a very nice 14" JVC professional video monitor with S-Video for the display.

The problem I have with trying to sell an 815 is shipping them. The power transformer is bolted to the bottom of the case with typical metal inserts in the plastic. This thing is heavy. If it breaks loose in shipment, it will pound the insides of the drive to pieces.

Bob

An Atari 815 _AND_ two Corvus disks? I'm jealous. YOU SUCK! :P :)

Does _ANYONE_ have an Atari 815 they wanna sell?

-Thom

If someone wanted to buy one (and you wanted to sell), could you separate the parts for more secure shipping? Mass is always the killer in shipping electronics.

But you probably already thought of that...

-Larry

Depends -- taking a power supply out doesn't sound too complicated. Anyway, if you ship it at all, who is to say that it will work after going through shipping?

Or they could drive to CA or fly and let the baggage handlers do their work... ;)

-Larry