IGNORED

How to set up Ultimate 1MB in Altirra

tschak909

I've had significantly more success with modding U1MB images. After RTFM again a little more, I found a bit about disabling the SIDE hardware within the U1MB BIOS if any flashing is to be done, per Altirra help file. I also read that U1MB come in two flavors as far as memory block size is concerned; 64KB and 4KB. There is a setting in Altirra unmder tools -> options -> flash emulation which selects which block size is emulated by Altirra. I don't know if I had ever changed this before or not, but mine was set to 64KB. The later version of U1MB uses 4KB blocks, and the firmware files I have were modded with tools which were set to version 2 of the U1MB. Anyway, I set this to 4KB blocks.

I found a bit about disabling the SIDE hardware within the U1MB BIOS if any flashing is to be done, per Altirra help file.

That caveat refers to flashing tools which don't read the entire image file into RAM before instigating a flash. UFlash reads all the flash data into RAM first, so can safely be used with the SIDE Hardware enabled (indeed, you may keep the ROM image files on the hard disk). A reboot following a PBI BIOS flash would still be advisable, of course.

I also read that U1MB come in two flavors as far as memory block size is concerned; 64KB and 4KB. There is a setting in Altirra unmder tools -> options -> flash emulation which selects which block size is emulated by Altirra. I don't know if I had ever changed this before or not, but mine was set to 64KB. The later version of U1MB uses 4KB blocks, and the firmware files I have were modded with tools which were set to version 2 of the U1MB. Anyway, I set this to 4KB blocks.

Flash ROM sector size makes no difference at all to any existing flashing tools.