IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

How do I pre-order for the 7900? Do I just post here in this thread that I want to be put on the pre-order list? I found this old link but it is long dead.

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=115

What's a 7900.

Atari 7800 + XM module = Atari 7900. Do the math :)

In all seriousness it was just a typo. However can someone tell me if it is still possible to place a pre-order for a 7800 XM module and if so how do I go about doing that?

• Like 1

In all seriousness it was just a typo. However can someone tell me if it is still possible to place a pre-order for a 7800 XM module and if so how do I go about doing that?

Nope. When its done order one. Check a thread from 09 or 10.

Nope. When its done order one. Check a thread from 09 or 10.

Jinks thanks for the reply. I just wanted to find our for sure as my understanding is that there was at one point a proper order system of placing an order and sending money to guarantee to get one upon it eventual release whenever that may be. There have been so many threads & posts about it and so much it outdated info trying to get the answer is like trying find a needle in a haystack. I know that there have been those who have complained about how long it has been in development but for something that ambitious & complex it is understandable that there will be delays and setback along the way. As they say the best things come to those who wait. I would just hate to miss out of getting one as I know how crazy impossible it is to get things like certain homebrews or other rare items once the opportunity is missed and then usually you can only get find one on eBay for insane amount of money even assuming there is one on there as all.

Jinks thanks for the reply. I just wanted to find our for sure as my understanding is that there was at one point a proper order system of placing an order and sending money to guarantee to get one upon it eventual release whenever that may be. There have been so many threads & posts about it and so much it outdated info trying to get the answer is like trying find a needle in a haystack. I know that there have been those who have complained about how long it has been in development but for something that ambitious & complex it is understandable that there will be delays and setback along the way. As they say the best things come to those who wait. I would just hate to miss out of getting one as I know how crazy impossible it is to get things like certain homebrews or other rare items once the opportunity is missed and then usually you can only get find one on eBay for insane amount of money even assuming there is one on there as all.

Sorry to say you missed the pre-order by half a decade. People have sold their pre-order spots over the years so keep an eye out for that. I myself bought one that way not long ago.

• Like 1

Sorry to say you missed the pre-order by half a decade. People have sold their pre-order spots over the years so keep an eye out for that. I myself bought one that way not long ago.

Is there anyone on here who is selling their pre-order?

• Like 1

Is there anyone on here who is selling their pre-order?

Why bother?

Almost a decade ago it was said that once preorders ship they will make as much as needed for demand to prevent reselling on eBay etc.

For sure people will sell on ebay and people will pay huge $$$ for being uninformed.

Sit back chillax is my advice.

Wondering what the update is?? Anyone?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update coming shortly, want to post something significant with photo's and video's...

So where is this "signigicant update" containing "photos and videos" that was "coming shorty" on October 24th that has yet to be provided as of December 7th? :ponder:

• Like 7

So where is this "signigicant update" containing "photos and videos" that was "coming shorty" on October 24th that has yet to be provided as of December 7th? :ponder:

I can not handle "photos and videos"

Going to have to pick one or the other!

I pick videos I guess.. can always pause it for a photo. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

What's a 7900.

Nobody has ever called it a 7900 unless I've missed something...

Zonie, either you missed my reply from several weeks ago, or you didn't get the humor in my reply. See above reply from myself that I have quoted replying to your questions about what an Atari 7900 is. Maybe I just coined the new nickname for the 7800 + XM module combo (would be sort of cool if that become the case, lol :lol:) .

• Like 1

Zonie, either you missed my reply from several weeks ago, or you didn't get the humor in my reply. See above reply from myself that I have quoted replying to your questions about what an Atari 7900 is. Maybe I just coined the new nickname for the 7800 + XM module combo (would be sort of cool if that become the case, lol :lol:) .

Atari 7900 Fauxsystem

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Curt about a week ago and learned that he has received 4 boards with the latest design and has started to build them. This happened just recently.

Does that mean your XM BIOS magic is complete? Was it really the YM2151 that was the problem the whole time?

And Tep, what does your user name mean, if you don't mind me asking? Every time I see it, I think of Turk182! :)

I'm hoping your XBoard acquisition means the XM's BIOS can now support Dual POKEYs. If both options supported the same mapping, then it could become its own "quasi" standard for homebrews and hacks. If I recall, the XM's 128K RAM is mapped the same way as the XBoard's... Definitely correct me if I'm wrong...

• Like 1

I checked with Curt about a week ago and learned that he has received 4 boards with the latest design and has started to build them. This happened just recently.

Would have been nice for him to stop in and say so himself instead of leaving us with nothing when he said he'd have an update with photos and videos edging in on 2 months ago and then just didn't. He actually responds to you which is nice I guess so we can at least get 2nd hand information from you. Last time we got an update on when we are getting that update (the ever so punctual and accountable "soon") directly from Curt was on October 25th and here we are on Dec 18th and he's still provided us with nothing.

• Like 2

Does that mean your XM BIOS magic is complete? Was it really the YM2151 that was the problem the whole time?

And Tep, what does your user name mean, if you don't mind me asking? Every time I see it, I think of Turk182! :)

I'm hoping your XBoard acquisition means the XM's BIOS can now support Dual POKEYs. If both options supported the same mapping, then it could become its own "quasi" standard for homebrews and hacks. If I recall, the XM's 128K RAM is mapped the same way as the XBoard's... Definitely correct me if I'm wrong...

I can't speak to the BIOS because it's not mine. That's all I know about it. I was working on one at one point so put a bit of thought into it. There are issues with trying to use the XBOARD and XM together due to them using the same address. The intention was to make them interchangable for POKEY support, not to work together in a stereo configuration.
My user name would only make sense to one of my fraternity brothers. TEP = Tau Epsilon Phi. I was member# 392 at my chapter. :)
  • Like 7

I can't speak to the BIOS because it's not mine. That's all I know about it. I was working on one at one point so put a bit of thought into it. There are issues with trying to use the XBOARD and XM together due to them using the same address. The intention was to make them interchangable for POKEY support, not to work together in a stereo configuration.
My user name would only make sense to one of my fraternity brothers. TEP = Tau Epsilon Phi. I was member# 392 at my chapter. :)

Xboard compatibility is a non-issue. There are very, very few people that actually installed it and for those that did it might have to be tough titties when it comes to the XM. Just remove the Xboard so you can get a major upgrade to the XM.

• Like 3

Xboard compatibility is a non-issue. There are very, very few people that actually installed it and for those that did it might have to be tough titties when it comes to the XM. Just remove the Xboard so you can get a major upgrade to the XM.

My idea was for the BIOS to check for the XBOARD and then disable any conflicting features to avoid possibility of hardware damage. Maybe even pop up a message to let the person know, just in case they have and XBOARD machine and don't realize it. I know there aren't many out there, but at least 50 were sold, so there's bound to be a few of them.

• Like 2