IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

3. We had a discussion a while ago about perhaps including a built in game into the XM so that when no cartridge is present, instead of just the test/configuration program coming up from the XM, we'd perhaps have a selection to play a built in game that would use many of the XM features. If anyone is interested in submitting a built in game, please email me 7800xm@gmail.com and let's discuss.

I predict a flood of new 7800basic users. :D

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

1. The source for the SIO connectors can no longer provide them. I put out a request for help on Facebook and have some avenue's I'm looking at. Need to buy them at no more than $1 each, so that makes it a bit tough, but I'm working on things.

2. Mark has been extremely busy and hasn't had a chance to review over things with me recently. Work and paying the bills can sometimes get in the way of our hobby. So I'm sitting tight waiting for him to free up some time.

3. We had a discussion a while ago about perhaps including a built in game into the XM so that when no cartridge is present, instead of just the test/configuration program coming up from the XM, we'd perhaps have a selection to play a built in game that would use many of the XM features. If anyone is interested in submitting a built in game, please email me 7800xm@gmail.com and let's discuss.

Thanks,

Curt

Curt, are you gonna be offended if I offer my honest opinion on this publicly? Say yes, I won't. ;)

USB is actually just for supplying power to the board during CPLD JTAG'ing and testing, no data lines connected. The BIOS is on a flash chip.

I think you're right though, forget the game.

Also for those asking, If I can't get enough SIO's, that's NOT a show stopper, if I have to ship without them, so be it, that can always be soldered in by owners later on.

• Like 17

Also for those asking, If I can't get enough SIO's, that's NOT a show stopper, if I have to ship without them, so be it, that can always be soldered in by owners later on.

Uhhh... It is a show stopper for me. Its the main reason I pre-ordered one of these units. The sio port for use with a Atari XE keyboard. It was part of the original specs.

Uhhh... It is a show stopper for me. Its the main reason I pre-ordered one of these units. The sio port for use with a Atari XE keyboard. It was part of the original specs.

Buy a unit, buy an SIO port and warm up your soldering gun.

It's either that or we wait even longer and/or pay more.

• Like 1

I also bought an XE system for its keyboard, but it is really _not_ a showstopper for me.

Someone here should be able to help you out if you need one...

(Still kicking myself for the "purge" i did before getting into this hobby! I threw out a broken XL that would be great for parts. )

I personally don't plan on using the SIO any time soon and can handle installing it myself if I eventually need it. So here's a thought. When the order website is up, ask people to indicate if they have an urgent need for the SIO port or if they would be willing to take an XM minus the port and install by them selves later. The people who skip the SIO port will get their units shipped without delay. The people who really need/want it will have to wait until he is able to procure the necessary part.

• Like 7

The XEGS uses the db15 keyboard port, SIO will be for apps and games that use Atari SIO peripherals like disk drives

• Like 2

Hmm.. in that case, Curt, I would say to let the SIO go, then. We're talking a niche (7800 fans) within a niche (7800 fans with XM) within a niche (7800 fans with XM with Atari drives) within a niche (7800 fans with an XM with Atari drives that want to use them for the 7800) ... that's definitely not worth holding up the project any longer.

Maybe my idea would be better implemented by a disk drive in the cartridge (or connectable to it) instead of using SIO. At least that way I would only have to support one mode (2H 80C 18S).

ETA: I mean a DOS and/or BASIC interpreter

Edited by The Usotsuki

I bet B&C or Best have these, they just do not want to sell in bulk. I've tried to clear out Brad's stock of POKEY's, no dice, he even told me that the "arcade people" have tried this in the past.

I've tried to clear out Brad's stock of POKEY's, no dice, he even told me that the "arcade people" have tried this in the past.

Personally, I'm glad he told you no dice! I need to buy one of his left-overs for one of my 600XL's. I salvaged the one that was in that machine to repair a 1200XL of mine that had gotten zapped by a previous owner - the POKEY, GTIA and ANTIC were all scrambled. I'd like to restore that 600XL some day before it's too late.

Personally, I'm glad he told you no dice! I need to buy one of his left-overs for one of my 600XL's. I salvaged the one that was in that machine to repair a 1200XL of mine that had gotten zapped by a previous owner - the POKEY, GTIA and ANTIC were all scrambled. I'd like to restore that 600XL some day before it's too late.

I understand the reason. :)

Hokey will solve any and all Pokey supply issues...

Unless AtariAge and CPUWIZ and whomever else hold them for ransom so they are only made available to 7800 homebrewers and not Arcade restoration peeps and whomever else may or may not find a legitamate useage for them. Same situation as with the SIO; different individual holding the long end of the straw.

Edited by stardust4ever

Hokey will solve any and all Pokey supply issues...

Unless AtariAge and CPUWIZ and whomever else hold them for ransom so they are only made available to 7800 homebrewers and not Arcade restoration peeps and whomever else may or may not find a legitamate useage for them. Same situation as with the SIO; different individual holding the long end of the straw.

Woot? Why do you think batari would do that? :?

Woot? Why do you think batari would do that? :?

It's not that I think any you guys would intentionally withhold stock from paying cusyomers. But if it came to making a judgement call of filling a bulk order of 100+ Hokey Pokeys and not having a supply chain for homebrew carts for a period of time, or rejecting the bulk order so that games could be made on schedule, I think it's obvious which choice would have to be made.

On the other hand, bulk orders could be fullfilled without interrupting cart production, but it would require a substantial lead time on part manufacture. The SIO guys placed a priority on their own product above those of a 3rd party and it totally makes sense.

I love being an armchair market anal-yst. :P