IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

Hokey will solve any and all Pokey supply issues...

Will it? I think Albert said, in a FB thread on the same basic "POKEY shortage" issue, that that HOKEY will be a pin-compatible replacement for POKEY's sound generation purposes. He didn't say a word about its other big feature for computer uses, analog decoding for paddles and as a keyboard interface ("POtentiometer and KEYboard"). In fact, his comment can be read to indicate HOKEY won't do any of the other stuff, just sound oscillators; that's fine for homebrew 7800 games but decidedly NOT fine to fix old computers and 5200's.

• Like 1

Until we plug a Hokey into said device, how can one say with certainty whether or not it will or won't be suitable for a given application?

Presumably the people who designed it - and those planning to make use of it, like Albert! - know the features it implements and what it's designed to do.

Hokey will solve any and all Pokey supply issues...

Unless AtariAge and CPUWIZ and whomever else hold them for ransom so they are only made available to 7800 homebrewers and not Arcade restoration peeps and whomever else may or may not find a legitamate useage for them.

Why would we do that??!

This is why with the XM hokey pokey would be not needed for 7800 users as the XM would be the solution. Is this not one of the reasons to buy the XM? Pokey homebrew carts are more $$ and use up pokey chips.

wasnt the hokey designed specifically for use in the upcoming Concerto cart, as an alternative to the XM's pokey for sound only? Personally I'm much more interested in a viable SD card multicart device that allows me to play games that are unobtainable, and homebrews that are publicly released in rom format.

wasnt the hokey designed specifically for use in the upcoming Concerto cart, as an alternative to the XM's pokey for sound only? Personally I'm much more interested in a viable SD card multicart device that allows me to play games that are unobtainable, and homebrews that are publicly released in rom format.

Yeah I forgot about that. Your right.

It will be nice when the XM or a 7800 multicart becomes an option.

I wonder about the illegitimate uses for the hokey sd4e was talkin about? Actually I am afraid of this.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

1. The source for the SIO connectors can no longer provide them. I put out a request for help on Facebook and have some avenue's I'm looking at. Need to buy them at no more than $1 each, so that makes it a bit tough, but I'm working on things.

2. Mark has been extremely busy and hasn't had a chance to review over things with me recently. Work and paying the bills can sometimes get in the way of our hobby. So I'm sitting tight waiting for him to free up some time.

3. We had a discussion a while ago about perhaps including a built in game into the XM so that when no cartridge is present, instead of just the test/configuration program coming up from the XM, we'd perhaps have a selection to play a built in game that would use many of the XM features. If anyone is interested in submitting a built in game, please email me 7800xm@gmail.com and let's discuss.

Thanks,

Curt

7800 Electrocop?

[ducks]. :)

Exactly!

I have boxes of the YM chips, thats a done deal, I'm not about to change ANYTHING on the design with different ANYTHING. :-)

Precisely. And once the 7800 XM is done, you gotta work on that 5200 XM. :)

[kidding].

As for the SIO, to make it functional in the XM, don't you also have to install a PIA chip?

Maybe the XM should be released first to the people who signed up who also don't care about the SIO functionality. They can volunteer to be the "early adopters" like the people who bought 520STs with TOS on disc before it made it over to ROM chips. The added benefit to this would be more people with XMs in their hands which would improve the pool of testers while also potentially silencing some of the criticism of the project.

Heck, can we get someone to produce some XBoards while we're at it for those who don't want to take the XM plunge? That obviously wouldn't solve the HSC issue - and the users wouldn't have the YM2151 [or the XEGS keyboard port or SIO] - but at least it would give some users a permanent POKEY option and 128K RAM if they were willing to desolder and install a socket for the MARIA on the later edition 7800s. After all, isn't the Aboard implementation of [single] POKEY and 128K the same as the XM? [assuming the XM's BIOS doesn't "break" such "compatibility"]. That could conceivably take some more heat off Curt - especially from those who haven't ordered the XM but are nonetheless interested in similar features - while also helping out the retro 7800 scene.

Precisely. And once the 7800 XM is done, you gotta work on that 5200 XM. :)

[kidding].

Yeah ... since nobody makes games for it would there be a point ? And yes I see that you are kidding . Probably in part due to those wonderful self centering controllers . Now that would be something ... self centering stock controllers .

7800 Electrocop?

[ducks]. :)

With the extra ram, it may be possible if you can program... If you want to hear a really wild one, try "Mode 7" for the 7800; I'd like to see something like that. But then again, I've always been a little over reaching myself when it comes to dreaming about what a system can do versus what it's actually capable of doing. ;)

Edited by philipj

With the extra ram, it may be possible if you can program... If you want to hear a really wild one, try "Mode 7" for the 7800; I'd like to see something like that. But then again, I've always been a little over reaching myself when it comes to dreaming about what a system can do versus what it's actually capable of doing. ;)

Look at what has been done with the 2600 and a8 computers. The 7800 could be more capable then we think.

For myself, I'd rather see the painline coupler thing done next if anything. ;)

And not at all because I finally bought a copy of robotron. :ponder:

There's already a thread over it. I posted links to what I did [the files] with AutoDesk scanning the coupler with my iPhone. Someone proficient with MeshLabs could even the rendering out and make it suitable for 3D printing. My other attempts with a Microsoft Kinect and Skanect's software on both a Mac and a PC failed just as the company thought it would so the only other solution is to send the coupler out to a professional 3D scanning company to scan which I was quoted $650 to make that happen. So that's the current status with the 7800 ProLine Coupler Project.

Regardless, let's keep that discussion over in its own proper thread. There hasn't been any activity in it for the past couple of months the last time I checked.

Yeah ... since nobody makes games for it would there be a point ? And yes I see that you are kidding . Probably in part due to those wonderful self centering controllers . Now that would be something ... self centering stock controllers .

I was only kidding about expecting Curt to do the heavy lifting on such a project after the Herculean effort the 7800 XM has been.

As for the merits of such a project for the 5200, I think it's entirely just. I love the 5200. It deserves better. And people do still make games for it as well as converting existing A8 games to it. And at the very least, it has the best Trak-Ball controller ever designed.

What I'd love to see is a 5200 capable of the SIO so that the XEGS port of MIDI Maze could theoretically ported to it. I'd love to see a 5200 networked with some A8s for a MIDI Maze round. Other than that, I'd kill to see A8 Space Harrier running on a 5200. That game cries out for the 5200's analog joystick…or…even better…the Trak-Ball!

Edited by Lynxpro

You do know they did make Electrocop for a stock 7800 back-in-the-day. The proto was lost and so far hasn't been found yet.

Meh. That had a 10-bit graphics chip in it that all of the Atari programmers supposedly hated.

I'd rather see the proposed console Jerry Jessop and Tod Frye designed that used an ANTIC/GTIA and a TIA as a response to GCC's 3600/7800 project. Jerry said its 6502 and chips had double the clock-speed as their stock Atari counterparts, offered backwards compatibility with the 2600 & 5200 standard, and could do some insane graphics to boot. And then there was the hardware Tod Frye built that had 4 TIAs with each one assigned to drawing the graphics in one part of the screen. Where those prototypes disappeared to, who knows. Regardless, Warner wasn't interested and felt GCC's project would reverse Atari Inc's misfortunes at the time.

• Like 1

Look at what has been done with the 2600 and a8 computers. The 7800 could be more capable then we think.

I've known that for a while now... The Maria chip works almost similar to the Atari Jaguar object processor; all you would need is the CPU to help it along.

You do know they did make Electrocop for a stock 7800 back-in-the-day. The proto was lost and so far hasn't been found yet.

I had no idea... I like to see if it pulled off effects like the Lynx; but then again, the Lynx coprocessors in them.

Will it? I think Albert said, in a FB thread on the same basic "POKEY shortage" issue, that that HOKEY will be a pin-compatible replacement for POKEY's sound generation purposes. He didn't say a word about its other big feature for computer uses, analog decoding for paddles and as a keyboard interface ("POtentiometer and KEYboard"). In fact, his comment can be read to indicate HOKEY won't do any of the other stuff, just sound oscillators; that's fine for homebrew 7800 games but decidedly NOT fine to fix old computers and 5200's.

That is correct, sound only.