IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

So sticking a Hokey into a 5200 or an 8-bit computer or an arcade machine as a drop in replacement would lead to compatability issues, correct?

Yes. I don't have a 5200 to comment, but in an A8 computer, it would lead to inability to read the keyboard or analog pins on the controller ports (paddles), and failure of the SIO interface.

One of my 1200XL's had clearly been zapped in a previously life - I had to replace ANTIC and GTIA to fix graphical issues, and then POKEY in order to get the SIO interface and keyboard working correctly. I salvaged those chips from one of my other machines and very much want to get that "donor" computer restored before its too late to get true POKEY chips.

Yes. I don't have a 5200 to comment, but in an A8 computer, it would lead to inability to read the keyboard or analog pins on the controller ports (paddles), and failure of the SIO interface.

One of my 1200XL's had clearly been zapped in a previously life - I had to replace ANTIC and GTIA to fix graphical issues, and then POKEY in order to get the SIO interface and keyboard working correctly. I salvaged those chips from one of my other machines and very much want to get that "donor" computer restored before its too late to get true POKEY chips.

Get this man a 5200 and stat! Ship him an AtariMax SD Cart Adapter and he'll stop posting about the 7800 Concerto Cart so much. :)

Get this man a 5200 and stat! Ship him an AtariMax SD Cart Adapter and he'll stop posting about the 7800 Concerto Cart so much. :)

I would have a 5200 but I already have a 7800 and a 1mb/sio2bt/600xl with a side 2.

So not missing much other than controller projects.

Because the last umpteenth posts have nothing to do with the XM, or it's status.

If you are only looking for posts by Curt Vendel, click here. Since he doesn't SPAM the forums with nonsense, there is a good chance that those posts will be about the XM.

• Like 1

Can some mod please rip this thread apart?

It's been through the community shredder too many times to be recoverable. Like those $5 bags of money you buy at the US mint, with a COA stating there's $500 worth of shredded money inside. You'll never be able to tape those bills back together... :P

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

If you are only looking for posts by Curt Vendel, click here. Since he doesn't SPAM the forums with nonsense, there is a good chance that those posts will be about the XM.

Wow... post #3256768 is pretty informative. To have actual numbers instead of vague info (or no info at all) is refreshing. This makes me more confident that I'll be able to get one when they are made... that is if I don't totally lose interest by then. :)

The last day of this spring is officially over, is there a new deadline yet, or did everything ship by yesterday as promised?

You can read all recent Curt Vendel posts by clicking here. Since he doesn't SPAM the forums with nonsense, there is a good chance that those posts will be about the XM.

• Like 3

The last day of this spring is officially over, is there a new deadline yet, or did everything ship by yesterday as promised?

There's no point in making yet another shipping date.

I'm just glad that Curt occasionally chimes in and it appears that the project is really being worked on.

Pretty sure they shipped yesterday. The XMs will be hand delivered by the tortoise express, so expect several months to a few years (if overseas) for delivery, as turtles are not known for their speed.

Web_wm20031.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

I think with the last update we all knew it was going to take longer.

We did have a update right from Curt just like many of us asked for so really we don't need the jokes and whatnot.

He did explain this clearly BEFORE spring was over so what is the deal pestering about the XM?

• Like 4

USB is actually just for supplying power to the board during CPLD JTAG'ing and testing, no data lines connected. The BIOS is on a flash chip.

I think you're right though, forget the game.

Also for those asking, If I can't get enough SIO's, that's NOT a show stopper, if I have to ship without them, so be it, that can always be soldered in by owners later on.

It interfaces through the PIA, correct? God knows I have dozens of those in stock...

Exactly!

I have boxes of the YM chips, thats a done deal, I'm not about to change ANYTHING on the design with different ANYTHING. :-)

:thumbsup: