IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

I hope Good Samaritans will continue to cross-post relevant information. I know I'm in the minority (and thus a social outcast) but Facebook still seems abhorrent and unnecessary to me. Time will tell if I have to "give over to the dark side."

• Like 8

There's much in life that's abhorrent and unnecessary - mothers-in-law; holiday fruitcakes; helping friends move - some of those things are worth doing not for themselves but for the ancillary benefits that accrue from accepting them. Having some actual info from the many former Atari employees and third-party software company people makes the Atari-oriented Facebook community pretty worthwhile.

To each his or her own, of course. Everyone has a limit to how much they want to put up with.

• Like 3

For those interested, Al posted pictures of the two units he received to utilize at the show:

attachicon.gifAL_XM_ARRIVAL.PNG

To those inquiring about the size, it's perspective. The bigger one is closer in the photo. :roll:

Why two sizes?

Future question that will be posted somewhere:

"Why is the one in front so much bigger than the other one?!!!!"

Perspective? :ponder:

Thats the new XM mini. Only does high score saving. :P

Optical illusion!

I think instead of mini it should be called fun size.

The smaller one is probably for flashback.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Doh! I didn't have my glasses on. Now I see.

So if we put the front one in back it would shrink. That sound like magic.

Was Rodney Dangerfield's line - no perspective, I get no perspective?

Just joking. I know what perspective is.

But how can the big one be closer in the photo. Isn't the photo flat?

Edited by SIO2

Doh! I didn't have my glasses on. Now I see.

So if we put the front one in back it would shrink. That sound like magic.

Was Rodney Dangerfield's line - no perspective, I get no perspective?

Just joking. I know what perspective is.

But how can the big one be closer in the photo. Isn't the photo flat?

It's more like how The Doctor explained to Leela the Savage how the TARDIS can be bigger on the inside than on the outside….

• Like 1

the one in front is the new 5200xm

Don't joke. We could definitely use a 5200XM. Getting a RAM upgrade and SIO support on the 5200 would be glorious. I'm surprised Candle hasn't done this already outside of getting the VBXE to work in a 5200.

Just imagine the 5200 having enough RAM to run the A8 version of Space Harrier but with analog joystick support - like the arcade original - or, even better, Trak-Ball support! The same goes for Tempest Xtreme. Getting MIDI Maze to run on a 5200 and have it be able to do networking would also be really cool.

But at least the 5200 has a built-in POKEY standard. That helps. No HSC but hey, with SIO support, scores could theoretically be outputted to disk, tape, SD, etc if games [homebrews/hacks] supported such a feature.

Curt himself has speculated the 5200 expansion port could be used for better audio options.

• Like 1

To those inquiring about the size, it's perspective. The bigger one is closer in the photo. :roll:

Related videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=axtfB7QPTiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axtfB7QPTiw

youtube.com/watch?v=0_yL1kNC0PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_yL1kNC0PI

• Like 2

Here's a question for the cognoscenti, as the XM creeps ever closer to "reality" - are there yet any home-brews, hacks or even demos that use the Yamaha sound chip?

"Okay, now for some fun stuff and this is really cool.... have a listen to this audio, this is a full blown example of the YM2151 Audio on the the XM:

YM2151 AUDIO DEMO ON XM MODULE

------------------------

This sound sample was done with some code I'm working on for my Digdug sound upgrade. Groovybee was kind enough to help me test and debug it on his XM setup. The Pac-man sound data (notes and instruments) for the YM2151 where actually ripped from a music program that was released for the Sharp X68000 computer.

(TEP392 on Atariage.)"

------------------------

http://www.atarimuse...7800/expansion/

:)

• Like 3

You know, Perry - I know the memory is officially stated as allowing an extra 128K of access, but I'm assuming that the chips used are likely of a higher density. It wouldn't hurt if somehow programmers/developers had access to any actual extra. It would just be "unofficial". *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*