IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

• 1 month later...

Nope. I did a sort by new content and see a thread with 7000+ replies (Intellivision eBay roundup) and there's no "HOT" designation on the topic. I'm using the deflection color scheme so I dunno if there's something else you guys are seeing that I don't.

:ponder:

post-13-0-01677800-1453565383.png

post-13-0-01677800-1453565383_thumb.png

The "HOT" label is based solely on the number of posts in a topic, there's nothing more complex about it (for better or worse).

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 10.22.03 AM.png

The "HOT" designation does not appear everywhere, though. For instance, it's not displayed when using View New Content. I would consider this an omission. Not sure if the new version of this forum software changes this behavior at all. Hmm, a quick glance shows that the "HOT" label has been removed, but it will show "Popular Now" topics that have a certain amount of activity within the last hour, but it doesn't show that tag when using "View New Content" (which, itself, is completely different in 4.x. Oh boy is that going to be fun when I upgrade the site).

..Al

Thanks for the clarification. It never shows up for me.

That's the View New Content page I mentioned above. It does not show up there, but the "HOT label is visible in the topic listing when you visit a specific forum directly, as demonstrated in the screenshot Random Terrain posted.

@Albert I remember some time last year you tried to update the forum software and there was a chatbox for existing members to discuss it. After some time, the site was back up with changes reverted.

Yeah, what should have been a relatively simple (and minor) forum upgrade turned into a big mess when the upgrade script failed and left the forum in an unusable state. I had to revert the changed files and restore the database. The upcoming upgrade for 4.x will be significantly more involved and I will be testing it heavily on a completely separate server before the live site is upgraded.

..Al

• Like 2

That's the View New Content page I mentioned above. It does not show up there, but the "HOT label is visible in the topic listing when you visit a specific forum directly, as demonstrated in the screenshot Random Terrain posted.

Ah, got it. I typically browse by date when looking for content and skip the ones that don't interest me. I only use the sub-forums if I'm searching something specific.

Keep us posted on the update. Hopefully the forums don't break like last time. Also maybe you could fix it so the forum doesn't go offline for 15-20 minutes or so every night at 2am? It can be annoying for us night owls if we try to post something.

Ah, got it. I typically browse by date when looking for content and skip the ones that don't interest me. I only use the sub-forums if I'm searching something specific.

I usually use View New Content (or some variation) when reading, and I also use the Activity tab as well, which updates in real time.

Keep us posted on the update. Hopefully the forums don't break like last time. Also maybe you could fix it so the forum doesn't go offline for 15-20 minutes or so every night at 2am? It can be annoying for us night owls if we try to post something.

Well, the intent is to not break the forum. Almost always such things have gone smoothly. In the period of 15 years the forum has been online, it's only been knocked offline a few times, and nearly every one of those was something different (one time there was an explosion and fire in the data center that took the site offline for three days!)

As for the forum going down in the middle of the night, that is caused by the daily database backup. I would like to fix this, but it will require a fair bit of work on my part and an additional server. I may put up a "Daily Maintenance" page when this happens, though, so at least people aren't wondering why the forum seems to be down.

..Al

I have a brief update.

Curt just sent me a bunch of info on the hardware and BIOS features. He will also be sending me an XM soon for testing. I've been tracing through the BIOS and have a good idea what's it's doing now. I'm going to be able to utilize a lot of the key pieces of code from Mark's version. That's basically the hardware management stuff that run's when you boot the machine. But I will be rebuilding the test menu and high level stuff from scratch. It will be faster than trying to disassemble and modify that part of the code.

Regards,
Perry

• Like 20

I have a brief update.

Curt just sent me a bunch of info on the hardware and BIOS features. He will also be sending me an XM soon for testing. I've been tracing through the BIOS and have a good idea what's it's doing now. I'm going to be able to utilize a lot of the key pieces of code from Mark's version. That's basically the hardware management stuff that run's when you boot the machine. But I will be rebuilding the test menu and high level stuff from scratch. It will be faster than trying to disassemble and modify that part of the code.

Regards,

Perry

Is it done now?

Is it done now?

No. I don't know what work remains on the hardware. I'm at a point now where I can start coding the BIOS. I don't think it will take too long but I won't be able to judge how long until I start making some progress on it.

• Like 1

But in all seriousness, I have made some good progress. Here's what I have done so far.

;***********************************************************************

;**** 7800 Expansion Module BIOS

• Like 9

But in all seriousness, I have made some good progress. Here's what I have done so far.

;**** 7800 Expansion Module BIOS

Needs more asterisks **** :D