IGNORED

AtGames Sega flashback ?

Draikar

Ah, I see. Good to know. Thanks for keeping us informed then. :)

As I said, we had some contact with them around 2009 or 2010 concerning putting Pier Solar on their systems, but their hardware was lacking back then and it would have required quite a few adjustments to the game. Our coder visited some office of theirs in China.

I am in general all for the new incarnations of old consoles. It helps keeping the classic games alive, so I also hope for all stuff of that sort to thrive and improve over time.

• Like 1

Yep, they have several offices and I believe the engineering is done separately from corporate. In any case, I won't say more publicly about Pier Solar and the future, but certainly I see good potential going forward, even if it's not in the form everyone might expect.

So I received the Firecore Passport SD<>Sega Flashback cartridge the other day. And it works!

Only thing is… all of the titles in the menu have a space (line break) between them. In other peoples' vids and pics, I haven't seen this phenomenon.

Anyone know what might be up? I've tried shortening titles down to just a few letters to no avail.

My cart came from Argentina and is called the Firecore Passport. I noticed on AtGames' site, they call it a Mega Expert Passport. Wonder what the difference is, besides the foil sticker? Oh… my cart also doesn't seem to have the extra 12 lame games on it. lol

Someone in the comments section talked about some kind of a screen that explained how to use the cartridge - my cart definitely does not have that feature.

Try using title case with no spaces on your SD card files, and avoid funny characters. Format the names like this:

AlteredBeast

will come out on the menu as

ALTERED BEAST

That's how it is on the portable, which is pretty much the same thing as this, I think. Also check out this Russian page for a utility to add screenshots. Use Chrome for a translation if you can't read Russian. :D

Try using title case with no spaces on your SD card files, and avoid funny characters. Format the names like this:

AlteredBeast

will come out on the menu as

ALTERED BEAST

That's how it is on the portable, which is pretty much the same thing as this, I think. Also check out this Russian page for a utility to add screenshots. Use Chrome for a translation if you can't read Russian. :D

Cool - I'll try the edited text/filenames, but no go on that program to add screenshots. No PeeCee or Windoze disposable garbage here! Even about to ditch Apple next. :rolling:

Yeah, you can edit the file names on anything. I haven't messed with the menu program, either, it looks like a PITA. I would not be averse to using someone else's pre-digested menu file, though!

Yeah, I'm screwed. Only run Mac's at home and OSX must be doing something funky to the names by the time they're displayed on the Passport. A 'TEMP_' file is created on the SD card *after* you insert it into the Passport (not before and not an attribute of OSX upon ejecting the card) and fire it up. Using TextEdit to look at it, cross between text and some goofy character garbage. Might be able to edit that to display the names without line breaks, but is way too much work.

Once again, guess I'll have to live with yet another compromise that doesn't live up to expectations.

That's typical OSX behavior on an SD card. They should not get in the way if you empty the trash and delete it properly, I think.

Tried that and even re-formatted the card. Also, interestingly, I deleted the extension after the name to no effect. No change at all. Passport still recognizes the games as what they are.

I just picked up the AtGames Sega Genesis console (the one with 80 built-in games), and I gave it a test run for about thirty minutes. Even though I was seated less than three feet from the console, the wireless controllers were intermittently unresponsive. The graphics seemed okay, but the sound was way off: the music seemed to be a full octave lower than on the original hardware, making the games sound strangely off-key, and several of the sound effects were very harsh and distorted. Because of the presence of the cartridge slot, I thought this unit might be using an integrated Genesis chipset like the Majesco Genesis 3 console, but it's clearly an emulator running on an SoC, probably the same one that AtGames is using in their other systems (EDIT: it's actually a Genesis-on-a-Chip; see Bill's post below). There are a number of "A" titles among the built-in games (a good selection of Sonic games, etc), but also a lot of filler.

I think AtGames is going to have to make some substantial improvements, especially to the sound, before I'll pick up another of their Genesis systems. In particular, I see no reason to own the handheld if the emulation isn't any better.

I just picked up the AtGames Sega Genesis console (the one with 80 built-in games), and I gave it a test run for about thirty minutes. Even though I was seated less than three feet from the console, the wireless controllers were intermittently unresponsive. The graphics seemed okay, but the sound was way off: the music seemed to be a full octave lower than on the original hardware, making the games sound strangely off-key, and several of the sound effects were very harsh and distorted. Because of the presence of the cartridge slot, I thought this unit might be using an integrated Genesis chipset like the Majesco Genesis 3 console, but it's clearly an emulator running on an SoC, probably the same one that AtGames is using in their other systems. There are a number of "A" titles among the built-in games (a good selection of Sonic games, etc), but also a lot of filler.

I think AtGames is going to have to make some substantial improvements, especially to the sound, before I'll pick up another of their Genesis systems. In particular, I see no reason to own the handheld if the emulation isn't any better.

It's not technically an emulation, it's a Genesis on a chip. The only reason why the wireless controllers wouldn't be responsive is if you weren't pointing them at the infrared sensor on the console. Unfortunately, they require line of sight.

For the next revision - at least for the handheld - they'll be going away from the Genesis on a chip and into pure emulation. From what I've played of the test unit, it's a major improvement.

• Like 1

EDIT: it's actually a Genesis-on-a-Chip; see Bill's post below

If you should be interested in my research into the background of AtGames' RedKid and RedKid 2 Genesis-on-a-chip implementations, take a look at my posts starting here and through the end of that topic. I think it's rather intriguing--but of course, I am the one who did the investigating and writing of my own volition. :P

onmode-ky

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I just got one of these 80-in-1 versions and have learned a few things so far. Of all my controllers here, only the Sega-made ones seem to work as far as pug-ins are concerned. I only have about 20 original carts, but they all did work. The game save feature does not even appear in the game when you try. Example: John Madden football '93. The screen with "continue playoffs" does not even appear. The wireless controllers feel good, but are poor for fighting games like MK3 where precise button presses in sequence are needed. While the sound is a bit "off-key", the game play is just about perfect from what games I already had to compare with.

Not a true replacement for a Genesis, but is still a good buy.

Scratch that as the interanl ROM chip already failed in mine with only about 5 hours time on it. The cart reading function still works well, but internal games have died.

Mine still all work, but I leave the Firecore cartridge plugged in at all times. Maybe with you inserting and removing cartridges, solder connection on that chip broke? Could always take it apart and heat the solder connections back up...

since I only played about 5 cart games, i doubt that is the issue. I'll stick to my new Chinese MD2 for future use.

The little PMP handhelds do a far better job and play on a TV as well too.

Edited by zylon

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I got this system a while back and it recently flipped from the fire core original menu with all the sonic games and such to a different menu with a black background and blue designs for the corners and it have the only 12 dino themed games. I'm not sure how to get back to the original screen and I can't find anyone who has had this happen to them.