IGNORED

Altirra 2.50 Final out

serj

XP64 for old games? The mutt halfway between XP and Windows Server 2003 that has terrible driver support and still can't run 16-bit applications? Seriously? Why aren't you running XP32?

First let me say that I don't use it (64 bit XP), and I share your sentiments mostly but... No Windows 64-bit OS runs 16-bit code. Terrible driver support doesn't matter as long as you have drivers to support the hardware you actually use or plan to use. Those two things out of the way, 64-bit XP performs better than 32-bit XP.

But yeah, the only XP I run is inside of a VM (the 32-bit version), and I almost NEVER fire it up. I keep it around just in case there is something I need to run or test on that platform.

Edited by fujidude

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test30.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test30-src.zip

• Command-line images now set the default for the boot/open dialog.

I think this change was done to address my earlier post about the search/drive directory not defaulting to the directory where you auto-booted a .atr from by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer. I just tried this again with test30 and it still didn't work. I should mention I'm running 64bit Windows 8.1.

Bob

I take suggestions for alternate default gamma settings, but so far I have not received any.

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test32.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test32-src.zip

Fixes and updates to filesystem routines. DOS 2.5 ED and MyDOS formats are now supported for read/write access and directory creation is now supported on MyDOS and SDFS disks. The file viewer now attempts to use Unicode to display some control symbols (works better on Vista+ due to better font support).

• Like 4

I take suggestions for alternate default gamma settings, but so far I have not received any.

Sorry: I just installed a recent version with ramped up gamma correction; personally I'd always found the old default perfectly fine but I understand there were some requests to change it. I found the new default a little rich, but it took seconds to tone it down, so no matter. ;)

"Fixes and updates to filesystem routines. DOS 2.5 ED and MyDOS formats are now supported for read/write access and directory creation is now supported on MyDOS and SDFS disks."

With all the progress that you've been making on Altirra, there was this directory feature that I had hoped you would give consideration to but I didn't want to keep bugging you about it. Tested with the H: drive and it works. This really made my day :) Thank you!

Edited by atx4us

I'd like to request a feature. I've been asked if any emulators support my 512K 5200 board (which MULE uses for a 64K game). Here's the specs:

The addresses from BFC0-BFFF control banking. Up to 4 address lines can be controlled, giving a maximum of 16 banks. Depending on where you solder in the EPROM and GAL, you can have 16K banks or 32K banks.

The 16K option works like an Atari XE cart. Only the lower 16K changes, while the upper 16K is always the last bank. This allows you to keep much of your code in place while you swap out the data needed for a particular level or whatever. The game can be 256K in this mode (16 banks * 16K).

The 32K option swaps the entire contents of the cart on a bankswitch. It takes a little more care to make a game work this way (hint: put the stuff you really need in RAM), but you can have up to 512K this way (16 banks * 32K).

You set the bank by reading from the target address. The 4 bankswich lines are grouped in pairs, so setting all 4 may take 2 reads (see below). You only need to worry about the ones you're using (i.e. a 64K game in 32K mode only needs the lowest one).

BFC0-BFCF sets the high 2 bits.

BFC0-BFC3 sets high 2 bits to 00
BFC4-BFC7 sets high 2 bits to 01
BFC8-BFCB sets high 2 bits to 10
BFCC-BFCF sets high 2 bits to 11

BFD0-BFDF sets the low 2 bits.

BFD0-BFD3 sets low 2 bits to 00
BFD4-BFD7 sets low 2 bits to 01
BFD8-BFDB sets low 2 bits to 10
BFDC-BFDF sets low 2 bits to 11

Any access to BFE0-BFFF sets all 4 bits to 1. This way, you don't have to worry about what bank your cart will power-up in. The 5200 BIOS will (unwittingly) initialize your cartridge to the topmost bank as it reads the cartridge startup information.

I set gamma back to zero as well. It seems too washed out with higher values. Perhaps I'm too used to zero gamma to really enjoy any higher gamma setting.

I set it to 1. Zero results in a darker display than previously, so presumably other defaults have been changed to compensate.

I set it to 1. Zero results in a darker display than previously, so presumably other defaults have been changed to compensate.

Oops, I meant to say 1 not 0. I ran an older version of Altirra without the gamma setting and a newer version at the same time and found that setting gamma to 1 appears to yield the same brightness as before so I stuck with that.

Having a touch of trouble with 2.60-test32.

SAVE'ing a BASIC program in OSS BASIC XL (1.03) to the H1: device causes BASIC XL to reset. The cart prints its version information and the program in memory is gone.

SAVE'ing the same program to D2: works OK. LIST and ENTER to H1: seem to be working fine, though.

Saving a very short, simple program (one liner... 10 GOTO 10 ) did work to H1:, but longer programs don't. I don't know the exact size threshold where this breaks.

(last version I know worked was test28. Did not use any versions between test28 and test32).

Problem with new burst I/O code. This should work:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test33.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test33-src.zip

Also adds PAL-60/NTSC-50 support, a tweaked luma ramp based on hardware measurements, and reverts the gamma correction setting default back to 1.0. I tried to find a way to auto-compensate brightness for scan line mode, but couldn't find a satisfactory algorithm. Oh well, it's tweakable. I changed the registry path for the gamma correction value so it'll universally reset to 1.0 once even if it's been set manually, since previous builds would have auto-set it; you can change it back again if desired.

• Like 4

You might have mentioned you were not running a vanilla setup...

For maximum compatibility and error checks use a real rom as well as the ATOS rom..

As for why the same ATOS works with said file in an earlier version (if that's the case) we will need Avery on that one..

And even using the ALTOS for XL / XE all of the files in the zip worked bar miniprg89

Edited by Mclaneinc