IGNORED

Looking for Colecovision games

metzger130

I am looking for some games for my coleco collection, and while mumbai has some of them, where else do people get their games? Some of them I know will be harder to find than others, frenzy for one.

Looking for:

BC quest

Burgertime

Fortune Builder

Frenzy

Gorf

Miner 2049er

Mr Do!

River Raid

Smurfs

War Games

I'm not sure how rare some of these are, but I would like to find them. I know frenzy is going to be a pain to find at a decent price, but I love berzerk on the 2600 and would like a coleco version of the game. I don't need them immediately, especially depending on the prices of some of them, but would like to get some of my collection going. There is a game show coming up in September so not sure if that would be a good place to find some or not.

Thanks for the advice!

You should be able to find all of those game fairely easily if you are talking about just loose carts. If you are talking about CIB, then Frenzy and B.C.'s Quest will be the most expensive, say in the $40-$50 range.

Mumbai is simply the best option for loose carts and he sometimes parts with CIBs as well. You can also try www.atari2600.com, although they seem to be focusing much more on their eBay store now and shipping of orders thru their website has been very slow as has been reported on here. The other options are eBay, Craigslist, posting a message in the AA Wanted forum, etc., but picking them up one at a time will end up costing a lot more due to all the extra shipping charges. If you can, buy the whole lot from Mumbai at one time for the best possible price.

Have you considered the Atarimax Ultimate SD Multi-cart? It costs $130 and then all you have to do is copy all the available CV rom images files to it and play to your hearts content. A lot cheaper alternative than buying all the carts you may want loose.

• Like 3

As usual Jim is right.The Atarimax cart is truly a great option. Aside from adding these games it comes with two nice home brews on the SD card. You won't have to shut down your coleco to switch games or be pulling out and inserting a cart every time you want to play another game.

I haven't looked much into the homebrew for the coleco. Is there a lot out there and do they distribute roms or do you have the buy the cart to get the game? While I don't mind supporting people who create the games if you have to buy the cart then the flashcart would only be good for released games.

I haven't looked much into the homebrew for the coleco. Is there a lot out there and do they distribute roms or do you have the buy the cart to get the game? While I don't mind supporting people who create the games if you have to buy the cart then the flashcart would only be good for released games.

The colecovision homebrew scene releases several new games a year usually as cart only releases. Both collectorvision and teampixelboy usually release the Roms for free after a year or two. So getting an atarimax cart is worth it because there are several games that haven't been sold for several years as cart releases but have free Rom releases. Avoids the very high eBay premiums.

As I'm sure you know, all or almost all of the 1980's carts (released, unreleased, proto, demo, utility, etc.) are easily downloadable and can be placed on the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. As far as Homebrews that have been developed since Kevtris appeared in 1996, there are hundreds available that can be downloaded freely and that includes some of the best games developed for the CV & ADAM such as Mario Bros and Pac-Man Collection. While there are still a large number that haven't been released freely in rom image format, some day they might be.

So in the end, if you go the route of the AtariMax multi-cart, you will have hundreds of games available for you to play immaediately. It's really a great option to have if you have limited resources and space so I would go this route and then if you still want to have the physical cart, then pick it up loose.

I see that and I do want to get one for the coleco. I was looking at getting one for the NES but this sounds good too. Terrible when you know you can only buy 1 or the other right now and you want them both! I know that the coleco has to have much more homebrew than the NES, if it even has any. I see it comes with a 32MB SD card. I am assuming that that is enough space for every game probably ever to be made for the coleco? I don't imagine each image is large at all.

32Mb SD Cards seems to be the norm as supplied by AtariMax, but I have seen them include a 64MB SD Card. Anyway, a 32MB will be more than adequate for all your CV rom image needs, but my 32Mb SD Card is almost starting to hemmorage since I also have screenshots and text manuals stored on it.

As far as Homebrews, I'm pretty sure that the number of Homebrew releases for the CV surpasses the number of officilally released games from the 80's. So there are a lot of newer games available to be enjoyed on the Multi-cart and only the latest releases have not seen a rom image made available freely for download yet.

The CV rom images range in size from 8K on up to 32K and most Homebrews are in this under 32K range with the exception of a number of bank-switching games that usually range in size from 64K to 256K.