IGNORED

MyIDE2 compared to SD2IEC question

eebuckeye

I have a SD2IEC device that I just copy all the disk images to a SD card then load with my Commodore.

If I buy the MyIDE2 from Atarimax can I just copy all the Atari disk images to the compact flash and load? It appears to me the SIO2SD is used by scrolling one at a time through the images (please let me know if I am wrong).

I do not understand the different file systems/bios for the Atari 8bit. What is different between them?

Thanks!

Perhaps I can help a bit and others can add on...

The MyIDE-II is a multi-purpose device for the A8. It is at it's heart a mass storage device -- a parallel "hard drive." that can be used by several of the Atari Dos versions that support 16 or 32 MB partitions. It also has several "Swiss Army Knife" features, and one of these is to load disk images (ATR in this case). After setting up/partitioning the CF card or SD Card + CF Adapter, then you can copy images to the card on your PC. These are then loaded via the cartridges FAT32 loader menu. I don't know the limits of how many can go on a card (or how large the image can be since A8 images go up to 16 MB), but Mr-Atari (the creator of MyIDE) can be reached at the AtariMax forum.

But as I understand the SD2IEC, it is more like the Atari SDrive or SD2IDE. I have a uIEC/SD which I think operates pretty much like SD2IEC, but haven't used it very much. And yes, On the SDrive or SD2IDE, you have to go through some type of menu to select the ATR that you want. I'm not aware of any Atari device that just lets you type in LOAD (some image name) and the system retrieves it. (if I'm wrong, someone here will surely correct me!). That type of function is performed on a large (hard drive) native partition or image by the File Management System -- Dos. It can use binary files (like XEX and COM) files or BASIC files, etc. -- but files, not disk Images.

Hope that helps.

-Larry

Perhaps I can help a bit and others can add on...

The MyIDE-II is a multi-purpose device for the A8. It is at it's heart a mass storage device -- a parallel "hard drive." that can be used by several of the Atari Dos versions that support 16 or 32 MB partitions. It also has several "Swiss Army Knife" features, and one of these is to load disk images (ATR in this case). After setting up/partitioning the CF card or SD Card + CF Adapter, then you can copy images to the card on your PC. These are then loaded via the cartridges FAT32 loader menu. I don't know the limits of how many can go on a card (or how large the image can be since A8 images go up to 16 MB), but Mr-Atari (the creator of MyIDE) can be reached at the AtariMax forum.

But as I understand the SD2IEC, it is more like the Atari SDrive or SD2IDE. I have a uIEC/SD which I think operates pretty much like SD2IEC, but haven't used it very much. And yes, On the SDrive or SD2IDE, you have to go through some type of menu to select the ATR that you want. I'm not aware of any Atari device that just lets you type in LOAD (some image name) and the system retrieves it. (if I'm wrong, someone here will surely correct me!). That type of function is performed on a large (hard drive) native partition or image by the File Management System -- Dos. It can use binary files (like XEX and COM) files or BASIC files, etc. -- but files, not disk Images.

Hope that helps.

-Larry

Larry are you talking about an SIO2SD? What the hell is an SD2IDE?

Ive never heard of an SD2IDE. Wouldn't that just be an adapter that lets you plug an SD card into an IDE interface?

SDRIVE and SIO2SD are both devices that let you use an SDCARD full of disk images, plugged into the SIO port of the ATARI.

MyIDE2 is a cartridge that tries to act like a hardisk interface (among other things) and isn't nearly as good of a "floppy image" solution as SDRIVE or SIO2SD.

If you want something that is the "Atari equivelant" of SD2IEC, then look at SIO2SD or SDRIVE. In most people's opinion, SIO2SD is the better of the two because it has an LCD screen on it.

Edited by MEtalGuy66