IGNORED

Sega's 3D Classics line for the 3DS

Atariboy

For those interested, there's a 3DS Classics sale on the eShop for most of the titles not on this collection. It's $3 a game which is a discount of 50% and is a dollar cheaper than the last sale a few months ago for the same games.

Since getting the original volume is anything but a given, I'd suggest taking advantage of this at least for the arcade games like Outrun and Super Hang-On. Alas, all signs seem to point towards us not getting that initial collection that Japan did and I don't see these getting any cheaper.

And even with both collections, we'd still have a few eShop exclusives like Super Hang-On that missed the cut for both volumes. It's the arcade game, runs great, offers both versions of the arcade game with their different tracks, and puts the classic Genesis conversion to shame with its choppy scrolling and poor sense of speed.

Deserves to be on a cartridge, but even Japan doesn't have that option as of yet.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah well.. I'm comfortable with digital titles for the most part.. but not really with the 3DS.

Nintendo makes it a pretty big pain in the butt if your device gets lost, stolen, or damaged.. i.e. something that's hassle free on other platforms like Steam or IOS, etc.

Yeah, and since your games are tied to the console and not an account, if you sell your system your games go with it. Kind of a crappy setup with the games not being tied to an account.

You have all the standalone downloads, right? Outrun is sublime.

I wonder which did better for them, the digital standalone titles, or this bundled release?

Personally, I prefer getting them one at a time for six bucks each on the eShop. I bought them all, of course, which made getting the $30 collection just for Power Drift and some Master System games kind of a pain. Some people seem to be all CARTRIDGE OR DEATH though.

I had them at one point in time with previous 3DS systems. However, I no longer have those and I just picked up a 2DS over the weekend ($80 bucks new now! Great deal), so it means re-acquiring each of the games from scratch. For someone that doesn't have many of these already, this pack is a fantastic value and will cost you less than buying each of them separately on the e-shop.

As far as what works better for Sega, my guess is both cover separate bases. It seems to be easy enough to slap a bunch of games on a card and make a quick buck off of it, so why not?

Oh yeah, OutRun was coincidentally on sale this weekend for $3, so I snagged that too. Will hold off on the rest to see if there will be a Volume 2 down the road, especially since I've owned most of them previously.

I don't understand why people can't seem to hang on to a 3DS system long enough to preserve their stuff. You shouldn't need to re-buy things you've bought before, so long as you transfer it.

Then you're clearly not trying very hard to understand the varying situations people may have to deal with in life. In a perfect world, nobody would need to resell anything and thus never need to re-acquire anything. However, shit happens.

System Transfer of purchased content is goofy but works fine. I don't understand why people can't seem to hang on to a 3DS system long enough to preserve their stuff. You shouldn't need to re-buy things you've bought before, so long as you transfer it.

As time passed, my purchases have gone from my DSi to a DSiXL to a 3DS to a 3DSXL to my current Majoras Mask 3DSXL. So yes it works fine. However like it's said.. life happens. I think that hit home for me a few years ago when I lost one of my DS Lites. I think it fell out of the car I was playing it in.. I have no idea. But while it really sucked losing the carts in it (FFV in the gba slot, and a CycloDS flashcart), I can imagine if it had virtual purchases (which it didn't since it was just a DS-Lite of course), in Nintendo's world those would be all be completely gone as well.. which is crazy.

Edited by NE146

Of course stuff happens. If my 3DS which is full of digital purchases went missing, I'd be all over Nintendo demanding that they restore my stuff to a new device. I've heard of them doing this for people. We shouldn't have to worry about the integrity of digital purchases.

I've given this sufficient thought for my own situation, and wish they'd implement an account system like literally everyone else in this space. I can only assume they chose to do things this way for business and support reasons.

Do you think the NX will be different?

• Like 1

Japan's getting a 3rd retail collection on December 22nd.

original.jpg

It will include the remaining digital exclusives that have already been released on the eShop, along with an as of yet unannounced bonus game. The bonus game was selected based on votes submitted by owners of the previous two collections. Here's what lost and ended up in 2nd-5th.

2nd: Virtua Racing

3rd: OutRunners

4th: Gain Ground

5th: Wing War

Not much hope for Turbo Outrun it would seem, since I don't see it beating out Virtua Racing in a poll. I really hope it's not just Sonic 3 or some other Genesis game that has been released to death (Or maybe I should hope that it is, considering the region restrictions in place on the 3DS and the excellent possibility it won't be leaving Japan).

And for the record, here's what hasn't appeared on the first two volumes, which will fill on the roster on this upcoming release.

-Afterburner II (Arcade)

-Gunstar Heroes

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

-Streets of Rage 2

-Super Hang-On (Arcade)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

This actually sounds much more impressive than what initially broke. I guess these Famitsu scans not only state that there are 4 more games (Providing a total much more in line with the past two collections), but also reveal that Turbo Outrun is one of them. :)

scan_5.jpg

Why couldn't the 3DS have been region free? :(

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

We've received only 5 of those 9 games.

In fact at least two of them have been in Sega's last two eShop sales, with them going for a mere $3 recently which represents a 50% savings. But while I'd love to get a retail release of those, especially for Afterburner II and Super Hang-On so these definitive editions aren't locked to my 3DS, it's the 4 new additions that aren't on the eShop in any region that have my attention.

We've never gotten a home version of Turbo Outrun that does justice to the arcade original (Although Japan got a great port on an obscure computer). And who knows what other treasures from Sega's vault will be selected for the other three new games. They could just be more Master System games just like how 3 of the 4 new 3D Classics additions in the last collection were, but it also could be more arcade titles like Enduro Racer or Golden Ax: Revenge of Death Adder that have never came close to being replicated at home. Heck, maybe M2 even dug deeper into Sega's vault for a change and will resurrect an oldie from the golden age of arcade gaming, like Turbo.

Those new games which are not on our eShop, with Turbo Outrun leading the charge, are what's so exciting about this announcement and why I want this to come stateside so badly.

Edited by Atariboy

This is all that I know.

This actually sounds much more impressive than what initially broke. I guess these Famitsu scans not only state that there are 4 more games (Providing a total much more in line with the past two collections), but also reveal that Turbo Outrun is one of them. :)

The gist of it was taken from NeoGaf, since I don't know the language. And it seems obvious from that scan that Turbo Outrun is at least there, collaborating that translation since otherwise why would they expend so much of their article on a game that wasn't confirmed as being included?

Plus it just makes sense that Turbo Outrun would be here, considering that it shares the same hardware as Outrun, likely a lot of the code itself, and they're already intimately familiar with Outrun due to its earlier 3D Classics conversion. It has to be an "easy" release by their standards thanks to that commonality, compared to something entirely unknown.

That's especially an attractive proposition if this indeed has four new releases rather than just the one, as initially broke by Nintendo Life and some other outlets.

Edited by Atariboy

Here's some English articles that state that Turbo Outrun is there and mention other additions.

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/08/31/turbo-outrun-revealed-for-3d-classics-volume-3-final-stage/

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/264195-sega-3d-classics-collection-3-turbo-outrun-included

http://www.play-asia.com/sega-3d-classics-collection-3-final-stage-adds-turbo-outrun-one-more-title-will-/5f/748ab

But even if it ends up just Turbo Outrun, that's reason enough to get excited. :)

Edited by Atariboy

The site for the game is up and confirms it.

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/archives3/

Note the three empty boxes with new notations where Turbo Outrun also is. Below it are the 5 pre-existing releases that will also be included.

Thanks for that, I was looking for something that expressed it so clearly. Whatever they choose, I think we can assume they'll be as well done as the other M2 releases.

I'd rather see them as a la carte downloads instead of bundled in a collection. What do you think they'll do for the US release?

I sadly don't think that we'll get the retail collection, although the presence of Sonic 2 at least helps its chances. I don't think it's any coincidence that when they decided to try these at retail in the West, they skipped volume 1 and went straight to volume 2 which included Sonic 1. But hopefully it sold well and they'll try it again.

And since they didn't bother bringing the Master System extras from the still unavailable Volume 1 release over to our eShop when they passed that one over, I'm concerned that we won't even get these exclusives like Turbo Outrun on our eShop if they decide not to bring this out at retail. While an arcade conversion like this trumps those SMS extras, it still sets a bad precedent.

Hopefully Sega does the right thing. And Nintendo should be working behind the scenes to ensure that it happens, given the lackluster release calendar this year. The NX is great and all, but it's still half a year away and this is a product that could be on store shelves in the West this December if they cared enough to make it happen.

If AAA games can be localized and released simultaneously worldwide, surely the experts at M2 could do the minimal modifications needed for an English language version in time for Christmas 2016.

Edited by Atariboy

That's what I was referring to, although I guess it's technically a game console with computer heritage like the XEGS or the Amiga CD32.

I've only seen video of it in action, but it puts to shame the Genesis effort where its impressive visuals are concerned. It's not arcade perfect in that regard, but it's close enough where it must've seemed like it back in the day.

The Genesis effort on the other hand loses almost all the trackside detail and leaves you feeling like each track is just a palette swap of the last. It plays well enough, but ultimately doesn't do justice to the source unlike the earlier conversion of Outrun.

Edited by Atariboy

That's what I was referring to, although I guess it's technically a game console with computer heritage like the XEGS or the Amiga CD32.

I've only seen video of it in action, but it puts to shame the Genesis effort where its impressive visuals are concerned. It's not arcade perfect in that regard, but it's close enough where it must've seemed like it back in the day.

The Genesis effort on the other hand loses almost all the trackside detail and leaves you feeling like each track is just a palette swap of the last. It plays well enough, but ultimately doesn't do justice to the source unlike the earlier conversion of Outrun.

Yeah.. I did a Let's Play of it three weeks ago. Trackside detail or not, it plays like garbage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...