IGNORED

Sega's 3D Classics line for the 3DS

Atariboy

I hope with the Master System titles though that they're packaged as a mini-compilation when they're finished.

I don't think $6 3D Classics conversions of standalone SMS titles would go over too well. And we wouldn't want Sega to see low sales and reconsider supporting this program and bringing releases Westward.

But pack enough value in such as a half dozen SMS games for $10, and I think the reception would be much better.

Edited by Atariboy

I see that Red Baron doesn't save high scores for you, either. I wonder why that is when their emulated Battlezone saves just fine in their volume 1 collection from a few months earlier, despite originally running on what was essentially the same hardware as Red Baron does. Peculiar issue...

Similar to your preference here, I enjoy playing Time Pilot in the Konami collection on my 3DS. I know in technical terms that I've gained absolutely nothing (Not that Time Pilot ever had analog controls), since the analog slider of the 3DS merely substitutes for the d-pad in DS titles. But the motions I make in Time Pilot simply transfer better to an analog stick/slider than they do to a d-pad. significantly improving my experience with it.

Incidentally, Atari Anthology for the original Xbox is my favorite way to enjoy Red Baron. The analog stick is put to good use, high scores are properly saved, it runs great on the later Xbox 360 despite the flawed Xbox emulator often being more trouble than it's worth, and it's one of just a handful of original Xbox titles that can actually output in HD.

The vector classics look nice and sharp thanks to that, avoiding the stairstepping effect that you'd see in earlier console collections in a game like Battlezone.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sega announced a North American retail collection today of several of these. :)

630x.jpg

It will appear on April 26th for $30 and will include the following classics.

Altered Beast (Genesis version)

Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (New, not previously available off the eShop)

Fantasy Zone II W (The modern arcade port that runs on the hardware of the original game)

Galaxy Force II

Maze Walker (New, not previously available off the eShop)

Power Drift (New, not previously available off the eShop)

Puyo Puyo 2 (New, not previously available off the eShop)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Thunder Blade

Perhaps the only thing that doesn't please me here is the lack of any mention of it being volume 1 of hopefully a set. There's no shortage of excellent selections for a 2nd volume that deserves a retail release, so I hope this isn't going to be it. We still need to see the rest of these at retail.

Afterburner II
Ecco the Dolphin
Fantasy Zone (Arcade)
Fantasy Zone (SMS)
Gunstar Heroes
Outrun
Outrun 3D
Shinobi III
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier
Space Harrier 3D
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Super Hang-On

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Looks like this was volume 2 for Japan, which appeared at the end of last year. I hope that this doesn't mean that we're going to miss out on volume 1, which contained the following classics.

Ecco the Dolphin

Fantasy Zone (Arcade)

Shinobi III
Space Harrier 3D (Master System)

Space Harrier (Arcade)

Streets of Rage
Outrun 3D (Master System)

Outrun (Arcade)

Still absent in either region would be Afterburner II, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, and Super Hang-On.

Also, the original Sega Master System version of Fantasy Zone was included in this collection that we're now getting, but was unlocked in Japan if Volume 1 save data was present on the 3DS. No word on if this will do similarly if we later receive the original volume as a follow-up, unlocking it on this collection after you first play what would be our Volume II.

Edited by Atariboy

Just as a slight correction, this includes the original Sonic the Hedgehog, not the sequel like I have listed in the contents.

Seen a user over at Digital Press speculate that this is perhaps why we're getting this one instead of the original, due to the continuing selling power that the Sonic franchise somehow maintains despite so many terrible outings in the 2000's and countless rereleases of the Genesis classics.

I hope it sells well and convinces Sega that retail releases of past content and new 3D Classics conversions are warranted.

I could see myself buying a 3DS just for this alone... especially if a volume 2 were to be released.

I agree, this seems like a B-Side collection.

When it comes to music, I'm all about the B-Sides...

But in this case, I can't help but think... SEGA? come on... you're on your last legs... support your LOVED franchises... somebody in your crew MUST be out there scouring the net to find out what your fans WANT!!!
Or not... thats why we see Sonic game after Sonic game but no more Out Run... No more After Burner... no Golden Axe, no Streets of Rage... you touched on them with the "Sonic" Racing games... but man...

• 6 months later...

You have all the standalone downloads, right? Outrun is sublime.

I wonder which did better for them, the digital standalone titles, or this bundled release?

Personally, I prefer getting them one at a time for six bucks each on the eShop. I bought them all, of course, which made getting the $30 collection just for Power Drift and some Master System games kind of a pain. Some people seem to be all CARTRIDGE OR DEATH though.

Some people seem to be all CARTRIDGE OR DEATH though.

Yeah well.. I'm comfortable with digital titles for the most part.. but not really with the 3DS.

Nintendo makes it a pretty big pain in the butt if your device gets lost, stolen, or damaged.. i.e. something that's hassle free on other platforms like Steam or IOS, etc.

• Like 2