IGNORED

Name this old .BAS miner game

cshepherd

When I was much (much) younger, I played a .BAS game on the ATARI 800 that I knew by the filename 'MINER.BAS', except that it isn't the same as any other 'Miner' type game that I've been able to track down recently. It was quite possibly published in ANTIC or Analog or even Compute! or Creative Computing, and involved mining with an elevator shaft, collecting gold, bringing it to the bank, and the risk of cave-ins (as well as the occasional Underground Spring, itself manifesting as spreading percent-characters). There are many such games, but this one was written in GRAPHICS 0 (pure text mode, with perhaps some ATASCII characters), although it also made use of 'SOUND' statement based POKEY sound effects. Not only would I love to play it again, but I'd also love to modernize it for other systems. If this rings a bell with anyone, I'd love to know, because the most sincere solo attempts at searching have as-yet come up empty handed.

What I do know, is that it is not the 'MINER.BAS' or 'MINERSCU.BAS' or 'GOLDRUSH' games in the Holmes collection. I also know that it bears a nearly-exact resemblance to the TI-99/4A game referenced in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173717-miner/ If anyone knows offhand, they'd have my eternal gratitude. I've found most of the other titles I loved as a kid.

When I was much (much) younger, I played a .BAS game on the ATARI 800 that I knew by the filename 'MINER.BAS', except that it isn't the same as any other 'Miner' type game that I've been able to track down recently. It was quite possibly published in ANTIC or Analog or even Compute! or Creative Computing, and involved mining with an elevator shaft, collecting gold, bringing it to the bank, and the risk of cave-ins (as well as the occasional Underground Spring, itself manifesting as spreading percent-characters). There are many such games, but this one was written in GRAPHICS 0 (pure text mode, with perhaps some ATASCII characters), although it also made use of 'SOUND' statement based POKEY sound effects. Not only would I love to play it again, but I'd also love to modernize it for other systems. If this rings a bell with anyone, I'd love to know, because the most sincere solo attempts at searching have as-yet come up empty handed.

What I do know, is that it is not the 'MINER.BAS' or 'MINERSCU.BAS' or 'GOLDRUSH' games in the Holmes collection. I also know that it bears a nearly-exact resemblance to the TI-99/4A game referenced in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173717-miner/ If anyone knows offhand, they'd have my eternal gratitude. I've found most of the other titles I loved as a kid.

Maybe 'Miner Jack' from ANALOG 25 (Dec. '84).

post-21816-0-00084300-1407887659_thumb.png

Analog Computing 25 1984-12 Reckless Racer.zip

Nailed it, MINER.BAS by Phillip Case, thank you. An amazing coincidence. Let's see if I get get a high score.

You talking about 'MINER JACK"? It is by Randy Schultz. Maybe I'm missing something.

Or are you talking about 'Miner 2049er'? ... no 2049er is by Bill Hogue.

Edited by russg

You talking about 'MINER JACK"? It is by Randy Schultz. Maybe I'm missing something.

Or are you talking about 'Miner 2049er'? ... no 2049er is by Bill Hogue.

It's another one, see the current High Score Club round - we have 3 bonus BASIC games and one is Miner

miner.gif

:)