IGNORED

Sharknado Game (Atari 2600,7800 Programmers)

neotokeo2001

• 2 weeks later...

Those are freakin awesome!

Availability???

I am hoping to have a limited edition release for Sharknado in the future. Not a definite yet but I will post any updates in this topic.

Or check out my Facebook page or the NEO Zone for future info.

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/scott.dayton.5

Neo Zone:http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

Isn't the Sharknado name trademarked? Does the OP have to worry about copyright issues?

Most of the games that I release could have copyright issues if they were sold on an ongoing basis. For games like Phantasm and Army of Darkness I was able to speak directly to the copyright holders and they did not mind a limited hobby release but it would cause issues if sold on an ongoing basis. That is why these games are usually a one shot thing, there is a limited release and then they are no longer available after that. Releasing games on archaic hardware is really a grey area, do most games have a license to use the copyrighted work? No. Do games with protected properties exist for sale? Yes. Just take a look at all the arcade games being released for various systems.

• Like 3

Most of the games that I release could have copyright issues if they were sold on an ongoing basis. For games like Phantasm and Army of Darkness I was able to speak directly to the copyright holders and they did not mind a limited hobby release but it would cause issues if sold on an ongoing basis. That is why these games are usually a one shot thing, there is a limited release and then they are no longer available after that. Releasing games on archaic hardware is really a grey area, do most games have a license to use the copyrighted work? No. Do games with protected properties exist for sale? Yes. Just take a look at all the arcade games being released for various systems.

Ok, thanks for the info

Don't take it too serious, it's just because of the sharks formation that looks a bit like a Mythicon game.

I could have used a ball or missile and used some tricks to make the player look like a ship of some sort. Alas, the helicopter is a big aspect in "saving the day" in Sharknado. Had to use sprite 0 for the player. The slightly blue background didn't really lend itself to time sharing the single sprite left. I guess I did take the easy way out by playing with NUSIZ1 to get more sharks :)

UPDATE:

Retromancers
Looks pretty good actually.

Got a comment from the boys at Retromancers from the YouTube video above. It's pretty encouraging to get noticed by people who make "Let's Plays" and reviews. Even more so from Marc and my fellow AtariAgers!

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

So the point of Sharknado's game play is to shoot the big space invader looking cloud thing at the top while avoiding the lines and sharks? Can you shoot the sharks? How do you know were to hit on the cloud thing? I'm a little confused on the game play.

When a freak hurricane swamps Los Angeles, nature's deadliest killer rules sea, land, and air as thousands of sharks terrorize the waterlogged populace. As sharks and debris rain around you, fly close enough to the storm to toss bombs in so the explosions will equalize the pressure and neutralize the twisters.

The player controls the helicopter at the bottom of the screen. Fire the bombs up at the tornado moving along the top of the screen. Enough bombs will neutralize the twister. Avoid debris and sharks.

In other words, shoot the big space invader looking cloud thing at the top while avoiding the lines and sharks. :-D

Remember, this is the prototype for Sharknado that was completed in a very short time frame.

Here are a couple of things that I would like to see in a release version. Remember these are wish list items and may not be possible or maybe never happen. I love the game as it is now but I am always thinking more.

- Different colors for the shark types

- A little faster movement on the player sprite

- Enemies that can be shot for points. Should the sharks be targets that can be shot?

- Some type of Boss battle after so many waves.

- Random objects that occasionally fly by that the player can catch for bonus points. Remember this is a tornado. Cow, chicken, etc..

- A cool thing to add would be other Atari 2600 sprites from other games that show up as a bonus collectible for big points but are very rare. Maybe have one appear every 4-5 waves.

Crazy idea for a Boss battle that ties in to the other Syfy show, Lair Of the Mega Shark. Megalodon anyone? Last year, Discovery aired a “documentary” about the Megalodon, also referred to as “the world’s biggest shark.” The “documentary” alleges that Megalodon was spotted during World War II which is believable except for the fact that the shark has been extinct for a long time.

The tornado is so powerful that it has plucked one of these 50 foot mythical beast from the depths of the ocean. The boss fight is a single screen in which the Megalodon can move anywhere on the screen and damages the player by contact. The Megalodon can move in a set pattern (like a bouncing ball) or continually chase the player. The player is in a boat (instead of the helicopter) and can also move anywhere on the screen. The player must pick up items (from a destroyed Navy ship) one at a time to build a bomb. Once the items have all been collected the player is able to take a shot at the Megalodon to destroy it. If you miss you must collect the items again with your remaining heath. Number of items could be set lower to start and increase each boss fight to up the difficulty.

• Like 1

[X] Different colors for the shark types

[_] A little faster movement on the player sprite

[_] Enemies that can be shot for points. Should the sharks be targets that can be shot?

These things can be done in the current game engine. It's a 4k game and I literally have to rip existing things out and somehow re-write them to take less space. Simply making the ROM bigger doesn't work because this leads to bugs when compiling. I've already got one of these features done and can start working on the last couple.

[_] Some type of Boss battle after so many waves.

[_] Random objects that occasionally fly by that the player can catch for bonus points. Remember this is a tornado. Cow, chicken, etc..

[_] A cool thing to add would be other Atari 2600 sprites from other games that show up as a bonus collectible for big points but are very rare. Maybe have one appear every 4-5 waves.

The Sharknado itself is literally a boss battle in every wave. There are augmentations that randomly appear each new wave including the space invader, dual funnel tornado and wide funnel extension. That being said, having a different kind of boss battle and more sprites will probably require a completely new game engine. That could take some time :) Sharknado 2?

Edited by theloon

Tara Reid was about 3 hours late showing up today. It seems she overslept a little. :D

When she showed up she couldn't have been more friendly. Tara said she remembers playing Atari 2600 as a kid, her favorite game...Mario Brothers. I thought she meant Super Mario Brothers and was maybe referring to the NES game but she described Mario Bros. exactly and described the Atari joystick. So who knew, Tara loved the 2600!

post-3832-0-95648600-1414285949_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-34167100-1414285951_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-44907000-1414285963_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-79108500-1414285976_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-42519200-1414285981_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to theloon for his work on the game making this possible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Elvira is complete but only five cartridges were made and autographed. I know that I have one as well as Wonder007 and Atari2600land. I don't remember where the other two went. I will have to work with Chris to make a version for next Halloween.

attachicon.gifDogs.png

attachicon.gifBat.png

attachicon.gifChalice.png

attachicon.gifBig Guy.png

attachicon.gifpost-3832-0-71027700-1381520495.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-3832-0-21421500-1381520497.jpg

I know you've been busy, Neo, but any more thoughts about this?