IGNORED

Wife is going to play Intellivision for the First Time

Switchboard

After hearing me drone on about it for a couple of years, my wife is going to play Intellivision with me, I ask you, what game do we start with? I am afraid I will beat her too badly at Baseball to start so, again, Brotherhood, what are the top 5 games to set up for her inaugural play? I thank you in advance for your help and expertise.

• Like 1

First and foremost… Shark! Shark!

Centipede

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Bump 'n' Jump

Burgertime

…and maybe Frogger and Lady Bug down the road.

I know there's gotta be a joke in here somewhere about women being absolutely superior when handling cell-phones these days, so maybe - just maybe… they'll grasp the Intellivision controller a little better today than they did 30+ years ago? :lol:

And tell her if she gets REAL good at the Intellivision, she gets a free tattoo of the infamous running man, somewhere where she'll always be proud to wear it. :rolling:

I must say I have the same problem: my wife does not really care about the Intellivision, and it's a chore just to convince her to play with me once in a while. That said, I managed to get her to play Paddle Party with me. We tried all of the games, but we had the most fun with the Smash Ball game. We both loved it! She was laughing so hard as we played, it was silly. :)

I'd say that Smash Ball of Paddle Party is the perfect "party" game.

Paddle Party is a great title, the problem is that, in order to enjoy it the best, you need a partner, which is not easy to find nowadays for retro-games.

-dZ.

• Like 2

Maybe Frog Bog, or Popeye? My Mom used to play Popeye when I was a kid!

I dont think my wife has ever played Intv? She NEVER plays games. I think the last COnsole game she played was Wii SPorts/Fit when that first came out....and before that...we used to play Lode Runner on PS1!

I recommend starting with something simple and fun. Shark! Shark!, Frog Bog, and Snafu are the first three I would reach for, since they can be learned within a few minutes even by people who don't regularly play video games. These are the three that I used to introduce the Intellivision to my niece and nephew, and they still like to play them.

If she's already into games, try to pick something in roughly the same category as what she likes. If she plays classic games (board and card games), play the Intellivision versions. If she likes maze games, try Pac-Man or Thunder Castle (the latter is a good one because of the impressive graphics and music). If she likes platform games, try BurgerTime. You might also want to try Centipede (since we all know chicks dig Centipede), or perhaps Horse Racing.

I agree with some of the earlier posts. Shark Shark, Snafu and Frog Bog may be good ones to start with. I would think she may enjoy games that don't require a lot different button. I don't know your wife, but I know mine prefers games that have a cartoony feel to them. Then if she likes those, maybe move onto Lock & Chase, Triple Action, and Armor and Sea Battle.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Snafu, Frog Bog, and Shark Shark. These are perfect games for making her inaugural experience a pleasant one. They have a simple learning curve and are playfully competitive. If she's anything like my girlfriend, do NOT start her off with anything where she will die a lot or perform significantly worse than you. If you attempt biplanes and she repeatedly dive bombs into the ground, immediately crash your plane and agree with her that the stupid controller must be broken.

• Like 2

I'd add Pinball, but let her play 1-player.

Bump n Jump

My wife actually likes Christmas Carol. ( trying to get her in the contest this year. )

The new Donkey Kong. ( D2K may be to hard for a non gamer )

Utopia, you can help her get started, easy to pick up, then let her build her own strategies. ( may need to get my wife playing this one )

reversi / checker /poker & blackjack and the like.

Space Armada is easy to play as well as astrosmash.

Wow, thank you very much guys, I just happen to have pretty much all of these games, and I almost forgot to try utopia with her, but we will start off with shark shark centipede and burgertime tonight. These are all great suggestions and if it goes well we will hit the whole list. This is a great board I really appreciate the suggestions

and rev, good call, she used to play Popeye back in the day and it was the first one she wanted to play on the arcade cabinet.

Edited by Switchboard
  • Like 1