IGNORED

X-mas in August: Jason's Sweet Summer pick-ups

JasonlikesINTV

In the past few months, I have been very fortunate in my Intellivision dealings, trades, and purchases. I managed to pick up some very cool and rare items that I'm very happy to have in my collection. I just wanted to show some of it off :)

First up (just in time for CGE 2014) is my new Intellivision shirt. Thanks to mthompson for the cool shirt design. I went with the nicer option and chose Noble Brown as the color. This is an XL and it seems the sizes run a little on the larger side. I haven't washed it though, so maybe it will shrink. Paddle Party box for color reference.

Intellivision Shirt (brown) 1

Intellivision Shirt (brown) 2

Speaking of new boxes, I was also able to pick up a rare misprinted League of Light box that has 'Robot Rubble' printed on the bottom flap. I probably should have flipped the box over for the picture, but I assure you it's there. Also pictured are some other unfolded boxes I have collected.

INTV unfolded boxes

Sticking with the box theme, I was also fortunate enough to add this to my “early box variant” collection. I already had NFL, MLB, Armor Battle, and Checkers. Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack makes 5. Someday I will have them all!

Mattel Intellivision Early Box (LV P&B) 1

Mattel Intellivision Early Box (LV P&B) 2

Mattel Intellivision Early Boxes (fronts)

Mattel Intellivision Early Boxes (spines)

While we're talking about Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack, this also came with a heavy shielded cart (weighing 70g and opened to verify). Until now, I had not found a heavily shielded version of LV P&B. This makes 10 different carts that I have identified that came this way. The others are 9 of the 10 Full Color Manual games (all but Space Battle) and NASL Soccer.

LVP &B (orig heavy shielded cart)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

Another variation set that I resisted for years is the French Canadian bunch. I didn't want to spread too thin in my collecting, but thanks to some recent successful trades with Pittheat and Rev as well as some lucky eBay purchases, I managed to get started on these. Here is my French Canadian collection so far. A big thanks to Steve Jones for helping me determine most of what I'm missing.

French Canadian Games (Aug 2014)

I never thought I get these three so soon, but I'm glad to have them.

French Canadian (Intellivoice) Games

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 2

Nice stuff! Could you pm me with a list of the manuals in that PlayCable box along with part numbers? I'm trying to get some sense of what was in these sets, since it seems some manuals were printed for games that would not have been deliverable as PlayCable games. Thanks!

Absolutely. I've looked into this before and noticed that there are a few manuals listed on intvfunhouse (with PC---- part numbers) that I was missing. Some of the ones that were included in the lot that I picked up didn't have PC--- part numbers, however other people have noted the same non-PC versions included in their sets. Here's a quick pic of the titles I have (not all have the PC part numbers):

Playcable Manuals

Damn I've been searching for FC Bomb Squad for a couple of years now, nice score

I have a few extras that you are missing if you want to trade for something,

I have Space Hawk, Horse Racing, Royal Dealer and Tron Maze-A-Tron

PM me if interested

Cheers, Steve

I got lucky on the Bomb Squad with a very affordable Buy It Now.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1114378279851?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=111437827985&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'll be in touch regarding other French Canadian titles. Thanks!

There's gotta be a story on the Playcable box?? :)

That Playcable box just screams retro ... love the look. And, as Cmart asked ... what's the story on it? Inquiring (aka jealous) minds want to know!

So here's the story. I saw these on eBay and instantly recognized it as a PlayCable manual set:

PlayCable Manual Set

It went fast and I missed out; however, after some thought I decided to contact the seller. I asked her if she was the original owner of the manuals and mentioned that I suspected they were from the PlayCable subscription service. She replies back saying, "Yes! They were mine as a kid and I just pulled them out of storage." She remembered having the PlayCable service and everything. So I asked her if she still had the box, or more importantly the actual unit! Expecting nothing, I was pleasantly surprised when she sends me pics of the box. We worked out a price that worked for both of us and she mailed it out. I asked if she had any other Intellivision items, but she had nothing else that I needed. She had some overlays and an Intellivision II if I remember correctly, but I think she sold the rest on eBay.
I would have crapped myself if she had the PlayCable unit itself, but only peed a little bit upon seeing the box :grin:
  • Like 1

Very cool! Congrats on a very nice pickup! Out of curiosity, how did you recognize that these were from the Playcable service? I haven't pulled normal ones for a comparison, but I don't see anything specific to tip it off to me.

It was a combination of multiple clues...and a gut feeling. The approximate number (35-40), the specific titles, and some slight ink color variations gave it away. Also, most of the sports titles lack the official endorsements (MLB, NFL, NHL, etc). I also used karate....made my whole body a weapon ;-)