IGNORED

Midway's Rally X -- I got it!

Rob Mitchell

UPDATE Of a old post.

Ok .. I bought it! Midway's 1980 cabaret cabinet version of Rally-X in great shape! I had called earlier to reserve it. When I arrived at the thrift, the manager had put my name on it and sold! I tried it out again tonight at the thrift .. and I found another button inside right and it gave me a credit! So I played it with sound and everything! I like this game as I have played it many times on MAME. Needless to say I was much more enthusiastic about paying $75 for it. They are storing it for me until Monday .. Also I see that there is a service manual for this one on eBay. Should I get it?

The monster upright Ms. PacMan was absent .. It was picked up from the thrift today. Whoever got it .. got it for a steal! $25.

I left my name and phone number with the guy who stored it and asked him to call me if any other video games come in!

Now I just have to get it home and break the news to my wife! I've never owned an arcade unit before.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Edited by Rob Mitchell

That's very cool, I liked that one a lot too.

Did you play the remake? I forgot what it was called, but there's an arcade machine out there that has three of those games: Dig-Dug, Rally X and Pac-Man, which it's got those originals plus new versions. The new Dig-Dug seems to take place on an island or something, where, section by section, you clear screens. There's this gigantic rock that will fall all the way down to the bottom of the screen...even if it's full of dirt!! There's also a screen with a gigantic boss Pooka, I think it is. The new Pac-Man has Pac-boosters (to make you go fast), warps to send you to different parts of the maze, and the prizes in the center will either make all of the ghosts hop into the monster pen or create a mirror image of Pac-Man that the ghosts will chase.

And the new Rally X gives you power-ups, like the occasional laser or a thing that'll destroy all the rocks on the screen, among other stuff. (I can't remember, I either played the new Pac-Man or the original Rally X the most, rather than that one :) )

Did you play the remake?  I forgot what it was called, but there's an arcade machine out there that has three of those games: Dig-Dug, Rally X and Pac-Man, which it's got those originals plus new versions.  The new Dig-Dug seems to take place on an island or something, where, section by section, you clear screens.  There's this gigantic rock that will fall all the way down to the bottom of the screen...even if it's full of dirt!!  There's also a screen with a gigantic boss Pooka, I think it is.  The new Pac-Man has Pac-boosters (to make you go fast), warps to send you to different parts of the maze, and the prizes in the center will either make all of the ghosts hop into the monster pen or create a mirror image of Pac-Man that the ghosts will chase.

And the new Rally X gives you power-ups, like the occasional laser or a thing that'll destroy all the rocks on the screen, among other stuff.  (I can't remember, I either played the new Pac-Man or the original Rally X the most, rather than that one :) )

You're talking about Namco Classic Collection Volume 2 which was released not that long ago. Great game... I think it's supported in mame now too btw, but I'm not sure (I guess I could check) :P

Great find Rob :) I'm jealomous now :P

You're talking about Namco Classic Collection Volume 2 which was released not that long ago.

Ah yes, that's the title, thanks. I knew it had the Namco name in it's title somewhere, but I couldn't remember what it was exactly.

But the REAL cool thing was, at the place where I used to play it, it ran on nickels!! There was a small section of games that ran on nickels, like the Simpsons arcade game, Terminator, etc., although they ran on four or five nickels, so that way you'd still have to put your dollar bills in the changer so the owner could make money. I was a happy camper! But then for some reason they totally closed off a huge crapload of the area...I don't know how many square feet we're talking, but there were a lot of rides back there, and now it's just the modern arcade, and that's it. WTF? Maybe someone's kid got hurt in a ride and they sued, so bye-bye rides (and nickel arcade for us old farts; sigh).

yes .. I'm psyched about this arcade unit .. and cabaret means it's not too big to take up too much space .. maybe my wife will not mind! :ponder:

I think I will go for the manual .. so I can have a reference for this machine.

I did grab a set of keys that I found inserted in the back of the machine. The lock for the coin door is missing though .. who really cares ..

BTW: If you want to see what I am getting .. go to KLOV and you will see the cabaret unit when you look for Rally X.

I have not seen any modern remakes of this .. I have not gone to arcades since 1982 .. well maybe I did find and play a classic about once every 6 months.

Very nice find, and a cabaret? I have envy!!!!

Dont spend the money on the manual unless you REALLY want hard copy. www.spies.com/arcade has them all in .pdf format, and you can just download (print it too for that matter!).

Make sure you take the backup battery off of the MCR2 (I think that is what PS it runs?) or you will have acid damage. Email me if you are confused. Great piece.

Lucky dog! :) Enjoy, and for pete's sake, vaccum up all the dust in the bottom of it. Some new fuses will help keep all the wiggly pictures off of your screen.

Cassidy

Make sure you take the backup battery off of the MCR2 (I think that is what PS it runs?) or you will have acid damage.  Email me if you are confused.

Hi Cassidy:

Yes .. I am confused .. please elaborate ..

I do plan to clean and vacuum the system completely ..

Dennis:

I think I just showed up at the thrift and you know the rest of the story .. am I lucky? .. I donno .. I let it sit for 30 hours between visits to the thrift. And I was too late to get the Ms Pac Man for $25 - that one sold within 5 minutes of being put on the floor.

Thrift: America's Thrift Stores (Liliburn on Hwy 29 - Lawrenceville Hwy.) As you know there is another ATS on Hwy 5 - Canton Hwy which I do hit regularly and I have never seen an arcade unit there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up .. I got my homemade trailer up and running .. and hitched to the back of my Celica Convertible .. and went to the thrift and got the Rally-X unit .. Loaded and strapped in place .. and drove down I-85 in the slow lane .. without any difficulty! My wife saw me drive up to the house and pitched a fit .. I was hoping to get it to the basement without her knowledge. After a bunch of "agreement with her feelings" statements, she calmed down and later .. I got it set in the basement with a blanket over it. I have some refrigerator rollers (thrift find) which I set it on .. so I can roll it out and plug it in without any difficulty.

Great fun!

• 1 month later...

Another follow up .. I finally opened up the back of the Cabaret Rally-X to see what is inside (I have the key!) .. and underneath and to the side I saw an envelope .. so a little pulling and out came a very nice condition Service, Schmatic and Operations Manual! Also I found an original Bally warrantee card with Rally-X stamped on it! Woohoo!

So now my goal is to figure out how to brighten up the screen which suffers from screen burn.

• 1 month later...
Another follow up .. I finally opened up the back of the Cabaret Rally-X to see what is inside (I have the key!) .. and underneath and to the side I saw an envelope .. so a little pulling and out came a very nice condition Service, Schmatic and Operations Manual!  Also I found an original Bally warrantee card with Rally-X stamped on it!  Woohoo!

So now my goal is to figure out how to brighten up the screen which suffers from screen burn.

If you ever have time, could you perhaps make some quality scans of all those manuals and schematics? The ones that are available on the net are quite .... well... uhmmm... crap. Not that i dont apreciate their effort, but if someone has the ability to do some proper scans, it'd be great for all rally-x owners (yes, i own a rally-x boardset, got it for free!)

• 2 years later...
If you ever have time, could you perhaps make some quality scans of all those manuals and schematics? The ones that are available on the net are quite .... well... uhmmm... crap. Not that i dont apreciate their effort, but if someone has the ability to do some proper scans, it'd be great for all rally-x owners (yes, i own a rally-x boardset, got it for free!)

350371[/snapback]

I just reread my original post and found this which I had not read before. If anyone wants a photocopy of this manual I will make one for minimal $$.

If you are looking for manuals and dip switch setups take a look at this sight. It was the only place I could find a Raiden fighters manual, and it’s the best one I have found for board information. http://www.crazykong.com/

Make sure that you right click the manual you want and click save target as, the manuals are all in .pdf format

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just saying this for you who are on the fence about getting a game you loved as a child. The amount of real 'classics' is ever decreasing, the longer you wait the less likely you will find anything you really want and in good shape.

There will always be sellers selling what they have, but finding the deals at auctions ect ect, is dwindling. The last Auction we had here at State Fair park, I could count the classics on 10 fingers.

Get'em while ya can.

Dan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...