IGNORED

GoSub for INTV

atari2600land

Level 10 is made. If I keep going at this rate, I'll have the game done about a week from now!

Also, I looked through a list of all the Intellivision game titles and I'm shocked to learn that this one will be the first that begins with G? How odd...

Edited by atari2600land

How would I do that? Any ideas?

Deep in the arctic ocean,the little sub delves deeper into the frozen ocean in search of hidden treasues!

I can see it now!

But yeah, I want a snow level on every game. LOL

Doenst everyone else? Frogger snow level? Pitfall Level? Pong snow?

Level 10 is made. If I keep going at this rate, I'll have the game done about a week from now!

Also, I looked through a list of all the Intellivision game titles and I'm shocked to learn that this one will be the first that begins with G? How odd...

Will you implement any little animated cut scenes? Take a look at DZ Jays Carol or Groovybee's Mars Minis.......

If not, thats cool.

Are you designing the levels yourself, or are you using the ones from the original game in the VCS and Odyssey2?

I'll download the full game and try to play through. I'll also take a stab at all the individual levels and provide some feedback. Great job!

As for releasing into cart, you'll probably have to wait until GroovyBee's Bee3 is out. So far it seems it'll be the only one available directly to programmers at retail. I could be wrong, but I believe LTO and CollectorVision require you to either purchase in bulk, or hire their services as producers.

That is odd, indeed! I just went to the Blue Sky Rangers' page and checked out the games list page, and confirmed that you are right: no games starting with "G." Congrats!

-dZ.

• Like 1

[CollectorVision require you to either purchase in bulk, or hire their services as producers.

My PCBs are available for sale, or at least will be once I've finished assembly for Space Raid and Sydney Hunter. I'd pretty much need to program them before shipping them out, though, unless you're doing a lot of these and want to purchase the proper adapters (one of which is homemade).

Oh, and a snow level would be pretty cool. There's other themes you could do, too, to keep things interesting.

• Like 1

My PCBs are available for sale, or at least will be once I've finished assembly for Space Raid and Sydney Hunter. I'd pretty much need to program them before shipping them out, though, unless you're doing a lot of these and want to purchase the proper adapters (one of which is homemade).

Thanks for the correction. That's very good to know. :)

-dZ.

Hello everyone

I am working together along with Atari2600land as the project manager to get GOSUB for the Intellivision published on cartridge.

I am relatively new to the Intellivision community.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tim Duarte and I have been in the classic gaming community since 1990.

My main focus has been the Atari 2600 for most of these years, and I run the web site 2600 Connection.

http://www.2600connection.com/

I started a print newsletter ( before the internet) and then in 2009 I released and published our fist homebrew, MEAN SANTA ( for the Atari 2600)

So we have published a few more as well and also branched out to Odyssey2 games and now , Intellivision.

Chris (Atari2600land) and worked together and published GOSUB (in 2012), WALLS (in 2013) , and just recently GOSUB 2 (in July 2014) -- all for the Odyssey2

I am publishing NICE ICE, his Christmas themed game for the next game for the Odyssey2 on November 15, 2014. Also doing an artwork contest for that one.

So... I have had some communications with Rev here on the AA INTV forum and he has been quote helpful.

I contacted Groovybee and he has replied to me about information about his board.

I have contacted Phil (pboland) here on AA for overlay quotes ( I have been in touch with him in the past re: Odyssey2 labels )

Still need to get some direction about producing boxes.

@ 5-11under, I will send you a PM.

thanks

Tim

• Like 3

Fantastic! Welcome aboard, Tim! It's nice to see our community grow. It was always our hope that improved and higher-level tools like IntyBASIC would attract more talent and add some needed variety to our roster of prodigious programmers.

One thing I would like to recommend to you and Chris is to take a look at other Intellivision home-brews and classic games to get a feel for what's possible in the platform. The Intellivision is much more powerful than the Atari VCS and certainly even more than the Odyssey2; this allows for richer and more sophisticated game-play than in some of the earlier platforms.

GoSub is for sure a good game, but it retains the feel of those other platforms, which may limit its appeal. That said, I look forward to what you and Chris produce in the future--it's always a blast to see new games being made. :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 2

Dz has some good points about the graphic capabilities of the Intellivision. Remember the Atari/Intellivision ads?

But remember, teh graffix is (in my mind) trumped by solid gameplay! :) :) But it IS always nice to have something pretty to look at.

Whats interesting, is Activision put out Pitfall on Atari and Intellivision with the SAME graphics! Among other games.

We look forward to this fun little game. And hopefully its not the last.

Dz has some good points about the graphic capabilities of the Intellivision. Remember the Atari/Intellivision ads?

But remember, teh graffix is (in my mind) trumped by solid gameplay! :) :) But it IS always nice to have something pretty to look at.

Whats interesting, is Activision put out Pitfall on Atari and Intellivision with the SAME graphics! Among other games.

We look forward to this fun little game. And hopefully its not the last.

My comment was about the sophistication of the game-play, and said nothing about the graphics.

I haven't given up on this game. Today I made an 11th level. It's 7k now. I am wondering how many levels the game should have in total. Previous games had about 20. I'm thinking maybe I should bump it up to 30. After all, this is the INTV. I'm wondering does the size have to be a power of two to publish, or could I, say, publish a 17k game if I felt like it.

Edited by atari2600land

I'm wondering what is a proper expected game length as well, although I don't have even a single completed game level finished for anything--just thinking ahead. :)

Unless there is some way to add save game support, like with the 2600's AtariVox, 30 levels seems more than enough, since it would have to be done in a single play session. About how long does each level take?

Also, what is the maximum size for an INTV ROM?

Edited by Cybearg

I haven't given up on this game. Today I made an 11th level. It's 7k now. I am wondering how many levels the game should have in total. Previous games had about 20. I'm thinking maybe I should bump it up to 30. After all, this is the INTV. I'm wondering does the size have to be a power of two to publish, or could I, say, publish a 17k game if I felt like it.

Its intellivision. you could probably have 100 levels!

I think the homebrew Stonix has around 100 levels???? someone correct me!

But is that a good comparison? IDK

p.s. can you add sharks with lasers on their heads? :-D

Your game can be of any ROM size, it does not have to be a power of 2. Also, you can have as many levels as you want, as long as they fit.

I'm wondering what is a proper expected game length as well, although I don't have even a single completed game level finished for anything--just thinking ahead. :)

Unless there is some way to add save game support, like with the 2600's AtariVox, 30 levels seems more than enough, since it would have to be done in a single play session. About how long does each level take?

Also, what is the maximum size for an INTV ROM?

There is no standard number of levels, it's whatever feels right for your game. If you get tired of designing levels, you can always have the game roll around to the first level, and perhaps increase the difficulty.

The maximum size for an INTV ROM depends on the cartridge board you will use. JLP from LTO supports 42K ROMs, and even more with bank switching. I believe GroovyBee's Bee3 will support 32K ROMs.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Here is level 12. I know I can make however many levels I want to for this game, but I don't want the player to feel that the game is too short or feel overwhelmed. It's just a matter of trying to find the perfect balance. I'm also wondering if the maximum tallness of pixels is 8 or can I make a sprite that is, say, 20 pixels tall. I have an idea that I might utilize in the game if I can make a pixel be taller than 8 pixels high. And, I'm at 7.5k.

post-9475-0-83603700-1411600853_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land

Here is level 12. I know I can make however many levels I want to for this game, but I don't want the player to feel that the game is too short or feel overwhelmed. It's just a matter of trying to find the perfect balance. I'm also wondering if the maximum tallness of pixels is 8 or can I make a sprite that is, say, 20 pixels tall. I have an idea that I might utilize in the game if I can make a pixel be taller than 8 pixels high. And, I'm at 7.5k.

A MOB can be 8 wide by 8 high or 8 wide by 16 high (at a cost of two GRAM cards.) they can also be horizontally stretched 1x or 2x. Vertically they can be stretched 1x, 2x, or 4x.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=STIC#Moveable_Objects

Edited by Tarzilla

A MOB can be 8 wide by 8 high or 8 wide by 16 high (at a cost of two GRAM cards.) they can also be horizontally stretched 1x or 2x. Vertically they can be stretched 1x, 2x, or 4x.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=STIC#Moveable_Objects

You can also combine them by moving them relative to each other, and make one big sprite.