IGNORED

Dead PS3

Tempest

My Phat died few months back, paid (through the nose) for 'refurb' Slim (think Sony raped me for £133!!!) but it's still going strong.You should be able to boot-up in a certain test mode (forget sequence of holding button down for) long enough at least to get disc out of drive.Mine would boot in this mode, last 90 secs then die.

My Phat died few months back, paid (through the nose) for 'refurb' Slim (think Sony raped me for £133!!!) but it's still going strong.You should be able to boot-up in a certain test mode (forget sequence of holding button down for) long enough at least to get disc out of drive.Mine would boot in this mode, last 90 secs then die.

Yeah that was the other thing. Sony only seems to send back refurbished units. I know they're supposed to be as good as a new unit, but the PS3 Fat that just died on me was a refurb.

Transferring game saves from a dying/unstable PS3 to a replacement console is a little risky. System transfer takes a while and if the original PS3 stops working during the procedure you may end up losing some data forever... esp the locked saves that are deleted from the source console. System transfer takes a while because it moves the entire contents of the hard drive.

PS+ offers cloud backup of game saves, even the saves that are locked to one console. If you've never had PS+ you can get a 30 day 'new member' trial code for $3-$5 on ebay right now. (included with Destiny) A standard 30 or 90 day renewal code isn't very expensive either. I think you can even activate PS+ on a PC through the Sony store... then just boot the dying system, go to the game save section on the XMB, press triangle on a save file and choose to backup all saves to the PS+ cloud. Restore the saves onto a replacement console when you get around to it. I think Sony even retains your PS+ cloud data for several months after your PS+ subscription lapses.

Boy did I get lucky. I transferred my save file to a USB drive and got my account info off the old PS3 then I shut it off. I loaded all the info on my new PS3 and my save game does indeed work (yeah! I didn't lose 60 hours of work). I then went to go turn on my old PS3 fat to wipe the account info but it won't turn on anymore (YLOD). I think it was on for a total of 10 min tops, so there was no way it was going to do a system transfer.

The fat goes back in the box to await the coming of a better age. An age where I can get it repaired cheaply. :)

Excellent! Glad it worked out and the FF X HD save file wasn't locked from copying to USB. Were you able to get all of your other game saves to the USB drive too?

No, but I didn't care about the others. I only cared about FF X HD because I wasn't finished with it.

One feature included with PS+ that I hadn't been using was backing up save files. When my system started the freezing, I quickly went on an uploading spree to save what files I wanted to hold onto. Managed to get what I wanted into the cloud before it froze for what was it's last time. After that it was a series of attempted to recover, and it telling me it couldn't find a storage device.

I didn't want to mess with moving stuff to a USB drive. Plus there are some save files that just can't be transferred.