IGNORED

How Colecovision became king article

cimerians

AFAIK Bromley did the proof of concept/early proto. When I interviewed one of the Nuvatec people about a decade ago, he said that was in turn sent to them to turn into the actual product and they're the ones who decided to turn it into the more personal computer open architecture format. He also gave me dumps of all the source code for the games they did and mentioned that Front Line was the first game done on the new hardware.

• Like 4

AFAIK Bromley did the proof of concept/early proto. When I interviewed one of the Nuvatec people about a decade ago, he said that was in turn sent to them to turn into the actual product and they're the ones who decided to turn it into the more personal computer open architecture format. He also gave me dumps of all the source code for the games they did and mentioned that Front Line was the first game done on the new hardware.

Marty, we need to talk about this :)

Good article.

I'll never forget when my brother came home with a ColecoVision. Donkey Kong made my jaw drop. We played a lot of Mouse Trap, Venture, Carnival, Smurf Rescue and Donkey Kong Junior also. Great times and a great era for gaming. Too bad it came and went so quickly. Many afternoons after school I would play the ColecoVision until it was dinner time. With the ColecoVision, I really had no interest in playing the 2600 anymore.

Yah, we switched to Colecovision during the '82 Christmas season as well. It was Donkey Kong and Zaxxon that did it for me. Though games like Venture I was able to play first on Colecovision before I ever found the coin version of it. I wound up buying Coleco stock in '83, big mistake but I was kid and it was during the cabbage patch craze. Still have a quarterly report or two somewhere.

Yah, we switched to Colecovision during the '82 Christmas season as well. It was Donkey Kong and Zaxxon that did it for me. Though games like Venture I was able to play first on Colecovision before I ever found the coin version of it. I wound up buying Coleco stock in '83, big mistake but I was kid and it was during the cabbage patch craze. Still have a quarterly report or two somewhere.

Got mine for my birthday in April 83'...had to wait those many months from that Christmas and I also rarely went back to the 2600 once I got it. I remember seeing it on display at a local Sears with Smurf Rescue on it for people to play.

Venture was one of the first games I got and I too never saw it at an arcade. Me and my friends were also Cosmic Avenger fans as there was a bowling alley down my street which had that game. We played that game constantly trying to beat peoples scores.

Venture was one of the first games I got and I too never saw it at an arcade. Me and my friends were also Cosmic Avenger fans as there was a bowling alley down my street which had that game. We played that game constantly trying to beat peoples scores.

Yeah that's the thing BITD I frequented the mall arcade, bowling alley, roller rink or the convenience stores to play games so in that case you're limited to whatever games they put out on the floor. I don't recall playing Venture or Cosmic Avenger in any of those locations. I do remember that my mall arcade had Carnival along with 99 other games.

I remember playing Smurf Rescue at the bowling alley.

Just kidding.