IGNORED

Recommendations?

Fushek

Hi! I'm new to the Colecovision game (I don't venture too far from the Intellivision sections usually) but just got an AV modded Colecovision and need some fun games for it. I'm hoping that you guys have some recommendations on some fun titles for the system. I love anything fantasy (RPG) but I'm open to anything. Also, what homebrews are worth buying? Princess Quest (which is coming for the Intellivision soon as well)? Ghosts and Zombies?

So what's fun?

• Like 1

There's not the selection of RPG games on the CV like on the Inty, but Gateway to Apshai is a no brainer. Another no brainer is the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart so that you can try all the available roms out before you buy the actual cart or CIB... lots of Homebrew rom files are available as well.

Princess Quest and Mecha8 by Nanochess are definite must haves as are Mario Bros, Pac-Man Collection, Side Trak, Lord of the Dungeon (for your RPG fix), and on and on. So many great homebrews that have been released.

The second run of the SGM should be ready in a couple months and then more SGM games that are sold out will be made available againand the ADAM conversion to CV cart should be considered.

• Like 2

Maybe you will like Dungeon & Trolls

It's going to be released soon

For homebrews, here are my favorite ones (no particular order)

- Pacman Collection

- Mario Bros (of course! :P )

- Mecha 8

- Princess Quest

- Battle of Hoth

- Nibbli

- Telebunny

- Side Trak

- Module Man

- Galaga

- Quest for the Golden Chalice

- Ghostblaster

- Magical Tree

Uh, ....and so many others! :D

• Like 2

One homebrew I feel is underrated is Bank Panic. This is an excellent translation of the arcade game which I believe is still available from GoodDealGames.com. Also contact Team Pixelboy - I thought I read that there may be additional copies of this one in the near future.

There are a lot of great titles on the ColecoVision. BurgerTime, Congo Bongo, Galaxian, Carnival, Defender, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Frenzy, Frogger, Gorf, Gyruss, Jumpman Jr, Jungle Hunt, Lady Bug, Looping, Miner 2049er, Mouse Trap, Mr. Do!, Mr. Do!'s Castle, Oil's Well, Omega Race, Pepper II, Popeye, Q*bert, Roc 'n' Rope, Root Beer Tapper, Slither, Smurf Rescue, Space Fury, Squish 'Em, Star Trek, Subroc, Super Cobra, Turbo, Venture and Zaxxon are all great games and most of them are inexpensive.

If collecting carts is not a concern, buy a multicart and load it up with ROMs. I don't own one personally cuz I enjoy collecting the carts.

Two other homebrews that are available from the AtariAge store are Spectar and Astro Invader. I enjoy playing those games as well.

• Like 1

One homebrew I feel is underrated is Bank Panic. This is an excellent translation of the arcade game which I believe is still available from GoodDealGames.com. Also contact Team Pixelboy - I thought I read that there may be additional copies of this one in the near future.

That is correct. :)

Personnaly , since i discovered homebrews on colecovision , i play only homebrew on that console!

There are tons of homebrews and all (at least all published on cartridge) are very good.

But despite game are good, i would say Avoid all that is MSX port and SG 1000 port... i don't consider that as Homebrew.

(the packaging is homebrew, but not the game :) )

My Favorite homebrew is : Zombie Near by Nanochess. (not most impressive technically, but i Love that game and atmosphere!)

If you want be impressed technically try : Mecha8 again from Nanochess.

If you want compare InTv and colecovision on the same kind of game : Try my Battle of Hoth (still available at GoodDealGames.com ) and EmpireStrike Back on InTv.

If you like Karaté Simulation, ; Try the way of exploding foot .

All games done by Michel Louvet for Collectorvision are also very good. If you like the "tetris" like, jump on Bomb'n Blast!!

If you like adventure game , you must play to Quest for the Golden Calice.

Too much choice , in fact. too many good games.

• Like 1

But despite game are good, i would say Avoid all that is MSX port and SG 1000 port... i don't consider that as Homebrew.

(the packaging is homebrew, but not the game :) )

So a guy should avoid playing games like Circus Charlie or The Black Onyx on ColecoVision just because they weren't created by today's ColecoVision homebrewers? That's just silly, youki... :ponder:

So a guy should avoid playing games like Circus Charlie or The Black Onyx on ColecoVision just because they weren't created by today's ColecoVision homebrewers? That's just silly, youki... :ponder:

I did not say that. I said : If a guy want play Homebrews , the guy should avoid to play MSX ports and SG 1000 ports. They are not homebrews. And i insist on "play" and not "collect". If you collect CIB homebrews, you can jump on them because the packaging is homebrew and so good that just for it , it worth to buy.

Edited by youki

I guess the thing to keep in mind about msx and sg1000 ports is that those two systems are uncommon in north america. I too prefer original games but there are some really good ports that are fun to play as well like circus Charlie. Also when pixelboy does his releases his prices are quite good. Especially for games like gulkave and the black onyx.

Edited by Manoau2002

I consider them all Homebrews because I never even heard of MSX or sg1000 until people said they were creating ports of those games to colecovision. There is no way I will ever play a game on emulation because I hate emulation so the only way I have ever seen or heard about these games are when they came to colecovision. So they are all homebrews to me.

Another thing to consider about the porting of games from MSX and SG-1000 format to the ColecoVision is that a number of these games where actually announced for release on the CV back in the day so it's like we are getting some bonus vaporware releases. Also, it's probably very likely that Coleco and others would have tapped into the Japanese market as had already started with such games as CPK Adv (aka Athletic Land), Monkey Academy, Video Hustler, etc., etc.

I did not say that. I said : If a guy want play Homebrews , the guy should avoid to play MSX ports and SG 1000 ports. They are not homebrews. And i insist on "play" and not "collect".

Your exact words were: "But despite game are good, i would say Avoid all that is MSX port and SG 1000 port..."

What part of the word "avoid" makes any distinction between playing and collecting? You told the guy to avoid most of my Team Pixelboy releases. How am I supposed to react to that?

Your exact words were: "But despite game are good, i would say Avoid all that is MSX port and SG 1000 port..."

What part of the word "avoid" makes any distinction between playing and collecting? You told the guy to avoid most of my Team Pixelboy releases. How am I supposed to react to that?

you extract the sentence of its contexts... in his post, i understand he is looking for FUN games and FUN homebrews. Fun suppose he is looking game to play. And i say (with other words)concerning homebrews , despite MSX port and SG 1000 port can be fun to play , they are not homebrews (except the packaging). So if you are looking for real homebrews avoid MSX and SG1000 ports.

To answer to whom consider MSx/SG1000 port as homebrew. For me Homebrew is more or less something not commercial Home Made. Taking the code done by somebody else developed for a big company and already published years ago , modify it lightly to make it work on a different but similar platerform it is not what i call a game home made. It is like if i take a painting not done by me , i change the Frame around and i say the painting is homebrew.

anyway it is just a question of definition :) MSX / SG1000 port are indeed interresting if you don't have access easly to the machine.

How am I supposed to react to that?

i don't know, may by stopping to publish MSX port... :lolblue:

My favorite CV games are:

Gulkave

Destructor SCE

Bank Panic

Princess Quest - make sure to have 4-way controller

Quest for Golden Chalice

Zaxxon Super Game

Mecha 8

Star Force

Circus Charlie