IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

What a waste and what was the point? 7800 broken? 2600 was jealous? Can't wait for the bios update? Now you have to wait for stainD to make you a 7800 multi which is on his list of multicarts after the tiger talking computer and the speak n spell nano neo.

• Like 1

The code in the Concerto fires up in 7800 mode (see rainbow logo and high res screen full of text), it could never execute any of this code properly. Plus, I am sure the ARM chip requires the extra pins for normal operation anyway. I can't remember who it was, but someone recently sent me Ballblazer with the extra pins dremeled off (Perry can attest to that), which would be the same exact problem, minus the ARM. It would just crash and burn instantly. ;)

• Like 1

The code in the Concerto fires up in 7800 mode (see rainbow logo and high res screen full of text), it could never execute any of this code properly. Plus, I am sure the ARM chip requires the extra pins for normal operation anyway. I can't remember who it was, but someone recently sent me Ballblazer with the extra pins dremeled off (Perry can attest to that), which would be the same exact problem, minus the ARM. It would just crash and burn instantly. ;)

It doesn't matter if it would fit, it would never work.

No it does work in native 2600 mode with the proper firmware.

Actually I installed the Harmony BIOS on it before I butchered it. It works in 2600 mode and can load DPC+ games on my 7800 (something the Concerto firmware did not support) but I wanted to try it on my 2600 and AV-modded Gemini. I just wanted to use it on in 2600 mode and ran into a snag. I could technically cut the inner half of the tabs off my 2600's loading dock and it might work, but I don't want to ruin my 4-switch 2600 from loading original game carts with the dust flaps in them, including AA homebrews.

Failed experiment; I feel like a dumbass now. At least I can still load 2600 ROMs on my 7800 with the Harmony Encore firmware, same as before... :dunce:

Jackass yes, I deserved it... :skull:

Surprisingly enough, with Harmony firmware, it loads more reliably now on my 7800. Before I cut the pins, it loaded maybe 50% of the time, now it's closer to 100%...

You can lie to your friends. :P

I can't remember who it was, but someone recently sent me Ballblazer with the extra pins dremeled off (Perry can attest to that),

I was curious about that. I couldn't think of any reason you would do it. Thankfully the POKEY still worked after I extracted it. :)

• Like 3

I was curious about that. I couldn't think of any reason you would do it. Thankfully the POKEY still worked after I extracted it. :)

I still have a spare Pokey, now that there's no Concerto to use it with. The Ballblazer PCB I extracted it from as a donor for the Concerto was destroyed in the process... :ponder:

You can lie to your friends. :P

I am not lying. Concerto really does work with Harmony firmware loaded, on a 7800, in 2600 mode, extra pins or not. No BS...

Thanks for your honesty in your mistake. I might help some other frustrated Concerto owner from doing the same thing.

Yes, thank you.

The PCB needs deeper clearance to fit the 2600 loader. I've beed debating attempting this mod for some time now. Loading the Harmony firmware onto the Concerto is a reversible process. Cutting off the pins is not unfortunately.

Okay, dumb question, but...why did you Dremel that thing in the first place??

Because I am an idiot. :dunce:
  • Like 2

What a waste and what was the point? 7800 broken? 2600 was jealous? Can't wait for the bios update? Now you have to wait for stainD to make you a 7800 multi which is on his list of multicarts after the tiger talking computer and the speak n spell nano neo.

What's your issue, pal?

• Like 2

What's your issue, pal?

Ntsc. :P

No I just don't understand destroying stuff to make a statement. People have been pestering batari from day one and demanding that they owe them a 7800 concerto.

Just strange that when you metioned you might make one that the masses are not demanding daily reports and project competetion dates.

I guess what I should have said was this.

Great you wrecked your concerto and now there is no option for a 7800 multicart for a possibly years.

And left it at that.

What's your issue, pal?

Don't bother with him.

To anyone taking offense to my video from the previous page:

Current Concerto firmware was broken on my 7800 and I got much better mileage with the Encore firmware, so I tried and failed modding it to run on a stock 2600. It's my property so I'll do as I please. I could throw it in a microwave if I wanted but IMO that's just juvenile, and the people doing microwave vs tech product videos have no respect. In the end, I performed a risky mod experiment that proved unsuccessful, and posted the video as a "what not to do" PSA type thing. It still works on my 7800 in 2600 mode same as before so nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Booting on 7800 is 100% more reliable now without the extra pins hooked up, so whatever was previously causing the cart's failure to boot ~50% of the time must be related to those pins. And yes, I have confidence that it would run as is on my 2600 with modification of the cart loading tray, but I have little desire to potentially ruin my 2600 from accepting original carts with dust covers by cutting the tabs. By my estimation, removal of the inner 50% of the tab would allow full insertion and retain compatibility with dust flap carts.

• Like 2

Ntsc. :P

No I just don't understand destroying stuff to make a statement. People have been pestering batari from day one and demanding that they owe them a 7800 concerto.

Just strange that when you metioned you might make one that the masses are not demanding daily reports and project competetion dates.

I guess what I should have said was this.

Great you wrecked your concerto and now there is no option for a 7800 multicart for a possibly years.

And left it at that.

I'm very open with the way I deal with things, I don't go quiet on a subject. I'm very clear any 2600 / 7800 cart for me is way off, but equally people talking here just goes to fuel my interest in the project. Recent talk of a combined 2600/ 7800 cart for instance has been very interesting to me.

I can obviously see this from both sides. I know how much time and effort go into these things, and for the majority of people making hardware like this, this is what they do in their spare time for fun. If you can make a bit of money out of it as well, great. But people, like myself, do these sorts of projects for their own enjoyment. But when life gets in the way, for whatever reason, then your hobbies are the first thing to suffer.

But I can naturally see it from a customers point of view. It's great people are frustrated from one perspective, as it means its something people want, but obviously the frustration from those with existing carts they've shelled out decent amounts of money for, which don't work, and no response from the developer will cause justified annoyance. I'm aware things like this have happened on a few different projects here on AA.

I'm quite happy if the existing cart gets sorted out in the meantime, it's no skin off my nose as they say, and I would prefer to see other people succeed. But if I get to the point I'm looking for more things to do and it's still not done, I'd find it very interesting trying a bit of coding on the 2600 and 7800.

• Like 1