IGNORED

Homebrews No Longer Obtainable?

PFL

Question for the homebrew fans: What do you think about ebivision? Are there any must-haves?

Allia Quest is a pretty good shooter and Pesco is a decent enough Pac-Man clone (that started out as a Pac-Man port). Not sure if either is really a "must have," but Merlin's Walls is definitely a "must avoid."

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 2

I reviewed the Ebivision games here.

My big gripes with Allia Quest are that you can't start a game with the fire button and there is no "remaining lives" indicator. But it's a good shooter otherwise.

I since downgraded Power Off! to a 4/5, but it's still a solid game.

Pesco and Alfred Challenge are both "meh".

Merlin's Walls is little more than a tech demo.

• Like 1

Hi!

I just wanted to say that my first order of homebrews from the AA store arrived today. The shipping was fast to Canada, the games were well packed, and the production quality is amazing! I am now the proud owner of Haunted Adventure & Seawolf. Now for my next order - I'm thinking Cave In plus another game... Thanks, Al!

• Like 2

Speaking of ebivision games, Power Off is only 25.00 bucks boxed! That and Nathan's review have me thinking that's a solid purchase.

I have their Space Investigators. It came in a nifty VHS style case with manual. The game used a unique trick to get 9 sprites per line without flicker, closer to the 11 of the arcade, and the game is pretty much monochrome but with soft colors for the score, enemy field, and ship/shields. There are very few settings but it plays straight up like the arcade game. Difficulty progression is a bit slow however. Overall I prefer it to the original Atari version.

• Like 1

Any reason for the downgrade? I find the controls a bit finicky.

It might just be me, but Pesco is too easy and the controls are a bit jerky,

My reviews are based on early impressions of a game - shortly after I first get it. Over time, my opinion may change some, depending on how much I actually revisit the game (or not). In the case of Power Off!, I just didn't find myself going back to it very often. It's still a good game, just not very high on my replay list.

It's not just you - Pesco is too easy. It would've been better with four crabs. I think the controls are actually quite good though.

• Like 1

My reviews are based on early impressions of a game - shortly after I first get it. Over time, my opinion may change some, depending on how much I actually revisit the game (or not). In the case of Power Off!, I just didn't find myself going back to it very often. It's still a good game, just not very high on my replay list.

It's not just you - Pesco is too easy. It would've been better with four crabs. I think the controls are actually quite good though.

Yeah pacman with thre ghosts... That's teddy bear mode BS. Unless you're playing 2600 Jr Pacman; that game is insane...

For my own homebrews:

1) Juno First

2) Star Castle Arcade

3) Chetiry

Chris

Chetiry is underrated. Non-Infringing falling block puzzle with Pitfall II style Russian comp soundtrack I could play all day long... :grin:

Also I can't help but notice you and Thomas both listed Star Castle Arcade as a credit... :)