IGNORED

What activities haven't been simulated on the Atari 2600?

Random Terrain

I thought you were looking for new activities in terms of concepts for interesting new games.

New or old. Anything that hasn't been done. We can come up with weird things, like being a taxi driver who has to pick and eat as many zits off his face as he can before the passenger sees him, but I just wanted to know in general if there are any activities the big companies missed or never got a chance to do or any activities invented after they stopped making Atari 2600 games.

Shit? Jizz? Some of you weirdos have psychological issues. Or are just morons.

Or, perhaps, some of us just have an abstract sense of humor which you fail to recognize, enjoy or just plain old comprehend. Either way, there's no need for name calling. This is an internet forum in which we are discussing video games from 30 years ago…we aren't exactly curing cancer here dude. Lighten up.

(or did I strike a nerve…perhaps, I was describing an occupation you are familiar with?) :P

• Like 1

1. Skipping rocks

2. Hoola Hoop (this could be a joystick breaker)

3. Telemarking - call people while they're eating and keep them on the phone till you make a sale

4. Snaking out a clogged sewer pipe

5. Lifeguard (keep the kids from running by the pool, drowning, eating before swimming, and the dreaded floating Baby Ruth)

Plenty of movies/TV that should have had a game.

1. Every James Bond movie

2. The Wizard of Oz (flying monkeys)

3. Three's Company (a Mystique game?)

4. Doctor Who

5. The Flintstones (you've been locked out by the cat and you have to find a way back into the house)

6. The Love Boat (you have 1 hour to successfully get all the passengers to hook up (maybe a Mystique game)

But the activity is not what makes the game enjoyable. You are limiting yourself by having the criteria of "what activity hasn't been done", since many games use the same one but are very different (i.e. eating in Pac-Man vs. Fast Food), and really limiting yourself by using only human activities...or so it seems, since nobody is listing other ones based on something more abstract.

This thread is asking about activities similar to the ones already made back in the 1980s such as blackjack, bowling, skydiving, car racing, golf, and so on. Seemed like it was important to them back then to simulate every activity they could think of. If dog sh*t juggling is a thing that people participate in these days, we can add it to the list of things that haven't been done on the Atari 2600.

Feel free to create a new thread where people can list abstract game ideas that haven't been done.

BTW the "promise" was just marketing doing what they do...nobody expected the 2600 to last longer than a couple of years.

It doesn't matter if Atari secretly believed that the Atari 2600 would only last a month after that ad from 1982 stopped appearing in magazines. It was an Atari-approved ad and it should be used among the other things I mention on this page to show that using added RAM and other goodies in a cartridge is not cheating.

Skee-ball?

Lacrosse?

Knitting?

Is there anything having to do with construction or home improvement? (Save Mary, is sorta construction)

Prison escape? (Breakout doesn't really count).

Grammar lessons?

Lumberjack?

Bonsai?

Chair rocking?

Storm chasing?

Escape from deserted island? (Gilligan's Island?)

Cigar rolling?

Auto repair?

Book publishing?

Demolition derby?

Ventriloquism?

Workplace recruiting?

Learning a foreign language?

Camel or ostrich racing?

Frog jumping contest?

Frog gigging?

Operating a nuclear power plant? (Simpsons tie-in?)

Hairdressing?

Wildlife conservation?
Lineman (telephone, high voltage)?

Homebrewing (beer, root beer, not games)?

Changing light bulbs?