IGNORED

Why didn't Nintendo create a famicom/NES adaptor for the SNES/SFC?

Simple: a person wants to play the new but likes some of the old. Sell the old system and games you don't want and put that cash towards the new. A B/C system does it all in one shell.

In other words, you want companies to spend more money (Nintendo) and lose some if they can't sell old stock (whatever store buys back old systems) in order for you to save like $20-$30. Gotcha.

In other words, you want companies to spend more money (Nintendo) and lose some if they can't sell old stock (whatever store buys back old systems) in order for you to save like $20-$30. Gotcha.

Wait, wait- I've read this a few times let me get this straight-

Company sending more money: Nintendo

Company losing money: we talking Nintendo, the store that takes trades or both?

If Nintendo is putting in b/c on a system and "spending more", I'm sure they have financial wizards, marketing gurus and analysts in place to determine if that would be wise and then how much they should raise the price to accommodate the additional features.

The second part- losing money, doesn't really logically specify who you mean.

If it's Nintendo, they lose a potential sale of old stock due one's old hardware being put out in the used market. However, if they gain a sale of the NEW hardware thanks to the sale of one's old system, that would be better for them as now that's another outlet for new software, accessories, etc.

If we are talking about the store doing the purchase/trade of the old hard/software (assuming everyone does that)-if the store offers that service then it's pretty safe to assume they took their existing inventory into consideration and paid accordingly to demand or refused outright. They may lose money on the hardware sold (sits in the warehouse or on a shelf collecting dust) and maybe recoup onthe software if it wasn't crud but then gains a sale of a new system and becomes the potential seller of software and accessories to this customer. This customer may also trade in games for new, which the store can then sell and make more money.

So.....how is selling a system to get a new machine with desired backwards compatibility bad again? Customer is happy they unloaded their system and games and gets the new stuff that plays their favorite old stuff (and maybe in better resolution) and store is happy they have used stock to potential sell at a good markup and might get repeat business from this customer and Nintendo gets another customer that will buy their stuff and show developers that their platform base audience is growing, making it a more viable system to develop for.

Did I miss something? Am I blind to this? What did the fox say?

Did I miss something? Am I blind to this? What did the fox say?

If you go back a few posts, it was noted that the year in which Nintendo sold the most NES's in Europe and Japan was the year after the SNES was released. On top of that, Nintendo continued to make new units until after 2000.

Besides, a third party did make an adapter:

tumblr_lkpjt1pzfc1qa5kxw.jpg

I don't think it would have been a good financial decision for Nintendo to make backwards compatibility. Good for the consumer? Probably, but we're not talking about that much of a difference in price.

• Like 2

If you go back a few posts, it was noted that the year in which Nintendo sold the most NES's in Europe and Japan was the year after the SNES was released. On top of that, Nintendo continued to make new units until after 2000.

Besides, a third party did make an adapter:

tumblr_lkpjt1pzfc1qa5kxw.jpg

I don't think it would have been a good financial decision for Nintendo to make backwards compatibility. Good for the consumer? Probably, but we're not talking about that much of a difference in price.

I have one of those but its broken. My friend soldered a resistor in the back to get a clear picture and now it doesn't work at all.

Edited by 0078265317

"Come with cord plug direct into the adapter"

Could be a piece of badly cup/pasted text, but it could men that this cart is just one of those crapshit useless junk that use a NOAC (Nes On a Chip), and use the console only as a fancy PSU and pad adapter, and spit out crappy composite out of the cart, much liek the silly "play Genesis games on your SNES" fake adapters.

• Like 1

Cause Nintendo had a lockdown on the market. Buy our stuff, this way and only this way or your out. Actually, I think the legal system was getting involved by then, but anyhow...

Of course, there is a Super 8 (nes/famcom) for the snes, and the tristar 64, play old games on the 64. But those are both third party, and I believe use clone consoles rather than the actual hardware to run the games.

I lusted after all these things back then, but the internet was in it's infancy and you couldn't realistically get this stuff back then.

Of course, this only really was needed for the casual gamer. Us hardcore gamers keep every system we have ever had and don't really need an X in one console or BC (we just buy them cause their cool)

Nintendo was just being too stingy, anyway. They Could have done what Sega did, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO! You can't play your old stuff on our new SNES! > :( > :(

Boo-freakin'-hoo..

Sorta related to the topic: A few days ago, I was at my local used game shop called Epic Loot. While looking for games I came across an new adapter cartridge for SNES that plays Genesis Games & one for Genesis that does Vice Verca (Plays SNES Games). :rolling:

Yeah, it's kind of funny they exist, if a bit ironic. However, they're a bit cumbersome to deal with--they each require their own separate A\V out, heh. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a cart like that.

• Like 2

Backward compatibility is always awesome, period. The reason most people bought an SNES was because it...wasn't an NES! Who would have been caught dead playing boring ol' NES games on their brand new SNES?...that's your average joe's response.

Real gamers love backwards compatibility. Thank God Sony listened. It's a little unrealistic, though, to think you're going to get compatibility when a system goes into a fourth generation. But I'm nicely covered with my PS2 and Wii.

• Like 1

Nintendo was just being too stingy, anyway. They Could have done what Sega did, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO! You can't play your old stuff on our new SNES! > :( > :(

Yeah, supporting too many obsolete systems worked pretty good for Sega in the long run...oh wait...yeah, it pretty much caused them to stop making consoles, lol

Yeah, supporting too many obsolete systems worked pretty good for Sega in the long run...oh wait...yeah, it pretty much caused them to stop making consoles, lol

Ha. Seriously though, Sega's BC SMS-GEN in the end probably didn't make them any money. It was about retaining customers and making some retailers happy that old and new SMS games could be sold to a larger base. Nintendo really didn't have to worry about this. They refused most returns, and the publishers had already paid them to produce and distribute the titles anyway.

Well the SMS compatibility was important enough for Sega to release an adapter in Europe for the Megadrive II (which, from all sources I know, was never released in the USA).

However, there was a perfectly good reason for Sega to do so; The Game Gear could read SMS carts with the needed adapter; so there was a need for SMS carts and adapters, where for NES, there was none.

And BTW in Europe, the sales of the SMS for games were interrupted at the very same time than Megadrive sales, in late 96!

Sega%20MegaDrive%20SMS%20converter%202%2