IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

OK! I think I got it.

What did I do?

I changed the following line in the es_systems.cfg

/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv-1.0-beta4/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%

Changed To

/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%

so I removed the beta folder to the updated jzintv. The original jzintv that came with the 2.4.2 image seems to work fine. My controller worked perfectly and the ENTER 6 key combo returned me to the Emulation Station front end.

I'll continue to test out the setup now and report if I come across any other issues.

Edited by Draugr

/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv-1.0-beta4/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%

Changed To

/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/bin/jzintv --kbdhackfile=/home/pi/RetroPie/hackfile.cfg -z1920x1080,16 -f1 -q %ROM%

so I removed the beta folder to the updated jzintv. The original jzintv that came with the 2.4.2 image seems to work fine. My controller worked perfectly and the ENTER 6 key combo returned me to the Emulation Station front end.

That's great news. So did you just change the run command or did you also change the folder name to match it? I'm wondering if the directory naming changed with the 2.4.2 image; that would certainly break David's instructions & file and cause an error message.

In any event, congrats! Consider yourself the latest graduate of the Ultimate Flashback Institute of Trial & Error. Your graduation present will come via PM later today :)

OK, so I started all over and STILL have the same result. Is there possibly any errors on the intellivision.us installation page? I followed everything as described.

Does anyone have or can make a img file of a working install without the roms and such? I'd like to see if perhaps I am missing something or doing something wrong. If someone has a working setup, then perhaps if I install that img onto my microSD I can test to see if this is a hardware issue on my side, or something I am doing wrong. If anyone can help me further I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

PS: I just tried Jzintv on my Windows PC and it worked, so the exec,grom, etc... files are good.

are you putting the jzintv and as1600 from intellivision.us on there? Where are you putting the grom and exec? Are you putting them in /usr/local/share/jzintv/rom?

OK! I think I got it.

What did I do?

Changed To

I'll continue to test out the setup now and report if I come across any other issues.

Yep this is what I had to do to get 2.4 to work. The jzintv that comes with 2.4 already supports the key combos to pause, restart, and exit.

I tried SERVERAL times to get 2.3 to work but kept getting that SDL error. So I gave up on 2.3 and just using 2.4.

Interesting... I guess this means that jzintv is no longer in beta form!

To be clear on what I am delivering. I am making all my setting available where you can just copy them. A requirement is the Ultimate Interface as that I the interface I used to configure everything. Also, I used the Intellivision controller. A Coleco controller will work but I use the bottom right side button to exit the Colecovision emulator. If you use a Coleco controller, you will not have a controller option to exit the emulator. You will have to use a keyboard. For 2600 games, either the Coleco or Inty controller should be fine. For the 5200, the right controller is needed to set the configuration of the game. Quirky? Yes but it all works by just copying over everything and loading up your roms.

• Like 1

I have the following consoles setup in the image I am ready to make available:

- Intellivision

- Intellivision ECS

- Atari 5200

- Colecovision

- Atari 2600

What do a majority of you want? Do I need to configure anything else?

What about Nes????

You may have them setup but do you play the games on the other consoles? I have only known one person that played TurboGrafx 16 games.

Honest questions. Why would you play Gameboy games? Are they unique to the Gameboy? Are the games available on a better console where you could enjoy them more?

quality of graphics isnt an issue for me. I play all the systems i grew up with. I can play a gameboy game even if there is a better version of the game. I love the retro feeling i get when i play them.

An odyssey emulator would indeed be awesome.

I just got my Raspberry Pi and I'm completely clueless on how to get this all working. I put a clean install of Raspbian OS on the 8gb microsd card. The computer boots up into the graphical OS. I've downloaded the 2.3 version of Retropie, but have no idea how to run the .elf files to get this started. I'm completely new to linux computing. Is there an easy walkthrough for complete newbies anywhere? Thanks in advance.

-mike

An odyssey emulator would indeed be awesome.

I just got my Raspberry Pi and I'm completely clueless on how to get this all working. I put a clean install of Raspbian OS on the 8gb microsd card. The computer boots up into the graphical OS. I've downloaded the 2.3 version of Retropie, but have no idea how to run the .elf files to get this started. I'm completely new to linux computing. Is there an easy walkthrough for complete newbies anywhere? Thanks in advance.

-mike

If you are willing to be my second guinea pig. Visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

You will need to install RetroPie 2.4.2 and have an Ultimate Interface hooked up.....and using Intellivision controllers. The last two really are not requirements but the Coleco emulator may not work for you and you will have to reconfigure your controllers.

I will consider adding additional configurations in the future. For now, the website documents the controller mappings for each console and the package is the easiest thing I could do to make it plug and play for those with my setup.

Edited by intvdave

A few questions folks....

Now that I have my RetroPie and Intellivision setup properly, I wanted to ask if the following can be done to Emulation Station, and the RetroPie OS.

1. Is there a way to hide the various commandline texts that show during bootup and when launching a game from within Emulation Station?

2. Is there a way to lockdown Emulationstation so that a user could not intentionally, or unintentionally make modifications via scraping, or modifying metadata?

I guess that's all for now.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have the following consoles setup in the image I am ready to make available:

- Intellivision

- Intellivision ECS

- Atari 5200

- Colecovision

- Atari 2600

What do a majority of you want? Do I need to configure anything else?

Odyssey 2 and Atari 7800 would be nice :-)

For the O2, this may be of some help; I just havent gotten around to seeing if I could do this myself:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=86888

A few questions folks....

Now that I have my RetroPie and Intellivision setup properly, I wanted to ask if the following can be done to Emulation Station, and the RetroPie OS.

1. Is there a way to hide the various commandline texts that show during bootup and when launching a game from within Emulation Station?

2. Is there a way to lockdown Emulationstation so that a user could not intentionally, or unintentionally make modifications via scraping, or modifying metadata?

I guess that's all for now.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

for your first question, yes. in your /boot/cmdline.txt have it say this:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

as for your second question i have no clue what scraping means. i do however copy everything onto my pc in case i need to make/fix an sd card

Edited by pimpmaul69

If you are willing to be my second guinea pig. Visit:

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

You will need to install RetroPie 2.4.2 and have an Ultimate Interface hooked up.....and using Intellivision controllers. The last two really are not requirements but the Coleco emulator may not work for you and you will have to reconfigure your controllers.

I will consider adding additional configurations in the future. For now, the website documents the controller mappings for each console and the package is the easiest thing I could do to make it plug and play for those with my setup.

i am using 2.3. I added the joymap folder, the adamem-1.80 folder and i edited the es_systems.cfg with your colecovision info and when i go to play colecovision i get a permission denied.

post-30773-0-02429200-1422060742_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

Got that kit from amazon listed here earlier. Total n00b at the Pi... will be awhile before I can play with it, but a quick question to anyone else who got this kit... was yours already open? The upc seal on the box I received was torn, the box likely already opened before shipping to me. I think all the parts are there... any advice on a quick and dirty 'does it all work?' check, or is just getting it to boot enough?

TIA

I posted earlier that you can create sub-folders in your ROMs directory to help organize the games on your system. I discovered today that it's easy to assign a folder icon to show up, just like the box art does. Edit the folder's meta data in EmulationStation and assign an image just as you would for a game and then exit the program cleanly so the info gets saved. I made a custom icon for my setup:

post-39531-0-51889600-1422074202_thumb.png

Edited by mthompson
  • Like 1